Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    Thanks to the firesale, I now run into webOS aficionados everywhere I go. They are at work, at the airport, even some of my friends fit into this category.

These pretentious "app addicts" have assumed the role of Mobile OS judge, jury, and executioner. They constantly blast webOS with illogical arguments and if that doesn't work they simply say: "Count the apps..."

Touchpad and webOS have finally become household words, but not in the way that we had all hoped. Our tablet and operating system have been constantly denigrated and disparaged, without regard.

How do y'all generally handle this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just let it go.
    A few more months until open webOS comes.

Saw a tweet the other day that Topolsky has dusted off his Pre3 for his daily driver. Those in the know are waiting for openWebos.
    laoh likes this.
    Most of the people I know are clueless about webOS, except for what I've told/shown them. As far as running into people on the street, it just doesn't happen. I think when I first got my TouchPad, I was in line at the bank, and someone asked if I had an HP TouchPad. I was surprised they didn't think it was an iPad.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I know exactly 2 people who've heard of webOS. That doesn't count the people I've hooked up with webOS devices, who wouldn't be able to tell the difference between webOS and Windows.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    For me, I just don't care... I have my devices because I love them and appreciate them.

If someone ask about them, I'll just give them a rundown and if I get someone that's out to make a show of superiority, I tend to let them walk themselves into a post and make arses of themselves. If they really push, I can always take my 8ish year old Palm Lifedrive and show them some of the stuff that they still can't do, which I have been for all those years.
    Eigan likes this.
    Won't be long before the hipsters embrace it, with their "I had webOS before it was cool." t-shirts.
    You plug your phone in?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Just let it go.

Saw a tweet the other day that Topolsky has dusted off his Pre3 for his daily driver. Those in the know are waiting for openWebos.

Interesting, I hadn't seen that...but he has always seemed to be Palm's only ally in the mainstream media.

I remember mid 2008 when they said the tide was about to change. Then we had CES and had to wait a few more months for the Pre....1.5 years and we had the Verizon Pre 2...A few more months and we had Think Beyond....A few more months...and you probably know the rest of this story. Palm has definitely managed to teach me patience!

Twitter
    Last edited by bradmeister1; 06/08/2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typographical error
    I just take out my Pre3 and show them the Wave, and also cards. usually shuts them up.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
    I just take out my Pre3 and show them the Wave, and also cards. usually shuts them up.
    Advanced gestures is fun, too. After loading a ton of apps, just swipe through them in full-screen. People usually
    say, "Wow."
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmeister1 View Post
    Interesting, I hadn't seen that...but he has always seemed to be Palm's only ally in the mainstream media.

I remember mid 2008 when they said the tide was about to change. Then we had CES and had to wait a few more months for the Pre....1.5 years and we had the Verizon Pre 2...A few more months and we had Think Beyond....A few more months...and you probably know the rest of this story. Palm has defiantly managed to teach me patience!

Twitter
    It's just sad that Palm mishandles everything...

They would have owned the portable device world had they pushed properly.

Had they shown to the world that since the beginning, all their devices weren't pocket agendas and contact lists but pocket computers able to replace laptop for most tasks (pop a folding keyboard on it and it was the greatest note task for meetings). They were the adult gameboys had people know about the thousands of games. Then when the series (such as the Zire) that had both cameras and full audio, the screens were in amazing colours, they would have been the portable media players of the decade.

Still to this day, either my Zire 71 or Lifedrive (with CF goodness) still kicks the living crap out of most portable devices.

Had they managed to get a Lifedrive V.2 out, with more power, slimmer body (and flash memory) and have them at a lower price (around the 200$ margin), and make into a phone would have been even bigger.

But as they switched to WebOs, had they pushed harder again, get those bugs out faster, more phones, get more third parties programmers on it, had they showed the world more about it (I barely caught they commercial, and while interesting, they weren't close to being able to deliver the message of how great they are), they would have caused a serious dent in the market.

Then HP comes in, and follows suit.

They made the Touchpad too expensive, didn't pull in more developers, I didn't even see a single commercial about them, too many bugs at the beginning.

Then the firesale, where they could have turned everything around... they had sales close to a million units I believe, that was a million people that saw WebOs probably for the first time, and from word of mouth could tell others about it. HP needed to absorb the loss for the hardware and moved hard on the apps world, bring in the people, show then that it was strong, and not going away, and get ready for the next generation of devices... make people look forward to it.

But with no charisma, no push, no drive, both Palm and HP did the same.... and walked in shadows while everyone else overtook them.

Look at Apple now, with Steve gone, is now living off on his legacy... just to show how one person, his drive, changed everything for Apple... from the edge of bankruptcy to where he took it.
    When I show people my Veer they are amazed and can't believe its a smart phone. After playing with it they ask "where can I get one?" but when I say Ebay, they loose interest right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    It's just sad that Palm mishandles everything...
    Palm, plain and simply was broke. Sure there are things that could been done better, they didn't have the money to do it.

Palm had lost too much market share (read: operating capital) by the time webOS came out for launch. Add to that all the people that had jumped to ATT for the iPhone...

So sad, but in the end the truth was Sam Hurd getting the boot was the death of what should have been an awesome relaunch of webOS. Leo didn't want to operate in the hardware space, and had to find a way to kill it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    fxspec06 likes this.
    What I find strange is I meet a few poeple that have asked me about the: HP Touchpad, HP Ipad, & HP Tablet .. but I have yet to come across ANYONE who knows or have heard of webOS. & Obviously the people that asked me about the HP Touchpad, had no idea what system it ran!

Sad really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    What I find strange is I meet a few poeple that have asked me about the: HP Touchpad, HP Ipad, & HP Tablet .. but I have yet to come across ANYONE who knows or have heard of webOS. & Obviously the people that asked me about the HP Touchpad, had no idea what system it ran!

Sad really.
    Not really surprising. Ask the average consumer what the iPhone runs they would probably say Apple. They think every Android phone is a "Droid", wonder if average folks know that the Lumia runs WP7? Just like how every PDA was a "Palm Pilot".
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    fxspec06, cujoq37 and sledge007 like this.
    the thing is that Palm was successful for not being laptop-replacing devices. the pilots flew off the shelves because they did the core PIM functions well.
    but they should have done a super-device at one point. they just seemed to slow+deaf. no wi-fi treos (palm is based - although I heard its a limitation of Palmas)
    possible downgrades, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Not really surprising. Ask the average consumer what the iPhone runs they would probably say Apple. They think every Android phone is a "Droid", wonder if average folks know that the Lumia runs WP7? Just like how every PDA was a "Palm Pilot".
    So true.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    maybe the next phone should be a palm pilot! Brilliant!
    I have not seen a single Touchpad in the wild, excluding those of my friends that also got firesale TPs. Ipad OTOH...
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Just let it go.

You mean this?
    "Just booted up a Pre 3. What does that tell you?"

That just tells me he turned it on and played with it. Nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I have not seen a single Touchpad in the wild, excluding those of my friends that also got firesale TPs. Ipad OTOH...
    I see more kindle fires where I work than any other tablet device.

Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    You mean this?
    "Just booted up a Pre 3. What does that tell you?"

That just tells me he turned it on and played with it. Nothing more.
    I thought he had another tweet or two about it, but maybe that was someone else. I don't follow him so it would have been RT'd.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast