Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pacman84
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Hello!

I have installed UberKernel and deactivated logging on my 32GB TouchPad about 3 months ago. I just did it to test it out, was content with the performance before that. I was happy with these patches, too, so I kept them on my device.
    But now I have a feeling that within the last weeks, my TouchPad became slower. I feel especially when turning the screen while apps are running in the background, when chatting with multiple friends and switching between them, when using preware, when watching videos, etc that the device reacts really slow and choppy. Sometimes, it takes some seconds off to think it seems.

I run Govnah with OnDemandTcl 1690 but whenever I select that profile and Govnah reverts to its main menu, it says "Unknown" in the Profile row. Could that have something to do with it? Other than that, what could slow these slow-downs? Or is this just something inherent to WebOS? If so, maybe I haven't noticed it before, simply because I wasn't using the TouchPad long enough?

Hoping for some input on this.

-pac
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman84 View Post
    Hello!

I have installed UberKernel and deactivated logging on my 32GB TouchPad about 3 months ago. I just did it to test it out, was content with the performance before that. I was happy with these patches, too, so I kept them on my device.
    But now I have a feeling that within the last weeks, my TouchPad became slower. I feel especially when turning the screen while apps are running in the background, when chatting with multiple friends and switching between them, when using preware, when watching videos, etc that the device reacts really slow and choppy. Sometimes, it takes some seconds off to think it seems.

I run Govnah with OnDemandTcl 1690 but whenever I select that profile and Govnah reverts to its main menu, it says "Unknown" in the Profile row. Could that have something to do with it? Other than that, what could slow these slow-downs? Or is this just something inherent to WebOS? If so, maybe I haven't noticed it before, simply because I wasn't using the TouchPad long enough?

Hoping for some input on this.

-pac
    Can you install wterm or any terminal emulator and paste output of "top" here (a screenshot maybe)
    top is a Linux command.

we can see which process is hogging cpu/memory
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    It's quite odd that you should post this? I too have been noticing slow downs over the last 2+ weeks. Not sure how this could be related though.

I have been a frequent user of my touchpad since the firesale and my Govner still shows the profile ok. Apart from that, it sounds as though we have a similar set up?

My experiences also show the cards not being as smooth or as quick with their transitions and web pages increasingly fail to load.

Maybe it's time for a reflash?
    Interesting. I have been seeing similar behavior from my Touchpad 32GB. I'm currently running the OnDemandTcl 1512 profile and it's displaying the profile correctly. However, it seems like apps are taking longer to load, and oftentimes UI elements are unresponsive for seconds at a time. I'd consider myself a heavy user, and this thing sees daily use.
    Developer of FeedSpider - The best webOS newsreader, supporting AOL Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedly, InoReader, OwnCloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS, and The Old Reader, with more to come.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Here is a screenshot of my top processes running. Being able to use the console is really cool...
    https://www.box.com/s/06fcabd67a027fe0ac78
    I cannot see anything wrong there. Maybe I am just spoiled with from seeing my friend use her CRAPple IPAD? It is disgusting to think so, but it might just be that.

MINKIN: Maybe we really need to reflash to factory standards. But maybe there is some more input coming on this issue here in the forums.

-pac
    MINKIN2 likes this.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Really interesting. I thought I was the only one with this issue. Did you guys - just like me - patch the living snot out of your TouchPad? I think I have 70 patches installed. Might have something to do with one of them...??

-pac
    There's 70 patches now? Try doing a daily reset and see if that alleviates the sluggishness. I only use about 15-20 patches.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    yes, i cannot see anything wrong either. Searchng "webappmgr webos" brngs lot of memleaks thread, but those are in 3.0.2. Does it happen immediately after reboot or after sometime
    I have been looking for a thread somewhere concerning this. I am experiencing a sluggishness in the last few weeks as well. Not OC'd, but tons of patches. It always seemed to run just fine at stock before.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Hello!
    I checked again. There is a total of about 70 patches, but installed, I have 15.
    I have a feeling that the slowness only appears after a certain time. So I'd say it has something to do with the memory running full, right?
    However, I'd say from now on, more frequent reboots are in order.
    -pac
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Ive noticed the same but mine is standard except a few homebrew apps like wterm, govnah and dr.battery.
    I've been seeing the same, but I figured I screwed up something since I make hardcode changes to mine as well as patches. Guess that wasnt it.
    Next question is; what OC kernel is everyone using?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Daughain; 04/27/2012 at 07:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I am simply using UberKernel, if I am not mistaken. For some reason I want to blame Govnah. Maybe the downclock is too forceful? Maybe it must clock up to 1500Mhz oder 1700Mhz earlier than it does now?
    -pac
    At moment I'm using Uberkernel as well, but my govnah settings have stayed the same for months, across many different kernels. Think I'm gonna switch to Warthog and see if it helps.

Edit; Switched to Warthog, and not seeing the stall issues. Btw, my OC is set at 1920, and has been since august last year.

Last edited by Daughain; 04/28/2012 at 02:16 PM.
    No further interest in this? For the last two days WebAppMgr is doubling its memory use from 33% at boot to ~67% within 24 hours, and stuttering and hanging in also then ensues. During the stutters, WebAppMgr is spiking as high as ~90% CPU usage and holding for a couple of seconds. Anyone who knows more than me have any ideas what's going on?
    The apps I have open are; email, communities, notes hd, and sea bird 3, with occasional use of Apollo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    No further interest in this? For the last two days WebAppMgr is doubling its memory use from 33% at boot to ~67% within 24 hours, and stuttering and hanging in also then ensues. During the stutters, WebAppMgr is spiking as high as ~90% CPU usage and holding for a couple of seconds. Anyone who knows more than me have any ideas what's going on?
    The apps I have open are; email, communities, notes hd, and sea bird 3, with occasional use of Apollo.
    I'm interested, as I have started seeing the same thing. Start with the 3.05 upgrade.

What are you using the see the WebAppMgr memory usage? Wterm and the "top" command?
    Yeah, wterm and top. Checking after fresh reboot, and about 24hrs later when it starts having issues. Sat here watching it when it was having issues, that's where my data came from. Biggest issue I see is the growing memory usage, even when I leave it sit for a while. Just did another check, and mem usage for WebAppMgr is up to ~48% since my reboot this morning, and its mostly been sitting. Just picked it up to check the forums.

@Andreas, could you run the top command in wterm first thing after a fresh reboot, and tell me what WebAppMgr shows for ram usage? Then the value for ram usage after opening communities?