webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > webOS 3.0.6 coming soon?
webOS 3.0.6 coming soon?
Like Tree28Likes

Old 11/20/2012, 08:48 AM   #61 (permalink)

I hope this will be available on the Pixi (have it since it came out! 3 of them
HondaPixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 10:18 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
It's sad that developers have more explanations and more help on other competing platform OS on the developer site than on WebOS.....
If I ever got serious and started coding I know at least 10 QUALIFIED folks that would help me with code at the drop of a hat. There is more support in webOS (and now WP7/8 due in large part to Nokia) than in any other platform.

There were and are a ton of resources for people that want to develop for webOS. Don't even get me started on the fact that the basis for code is web standard, don't blame anyone on your lack of knowledge or desire to learn JS/HTML/etc to code for webOS.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 11:18 AM   #63 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Re: PalmPixi_User23....

You all are missing the point.

It's not about his doing anything about the deficiencies he sees in the OS and attendant Apps/Patches/Support/etc...

It's just another way for him to kvetch...
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 11/20/2012, 02:05 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Re: PalmPixi_User23....

You all are missing the point.

It's not about his doing anything about the deficiencies he sees in the OS and attendant Apps/Patches/Support/etc...

It's just another way for him to kvetch...
Lol, I had to look that up.... and no.... I didn't miss the point. I put it right on him, and as expected... nothing.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 11/20/2012, 11:42 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
If you've want to start, you've gotta read. It's unavoidable. If you search around on the Internet, you may be able to find some better guides for Enyo than the ones on the Palm Developer site. But still, for information on how to use APIs, the original documentation is still the best.

Another thing you can do is to just dig in. While it's not the best way to get started (and you write a lot of crap code at the beginning), and can quickly bring you up to speed on what some of the APIs do. Patching is one way to learn, though not the most effective (most of the time it's merely assimilating code and throwing an odd API in it), so to write a new app you've still got to read a bit of documentation.

Do you have any experience in JavaScript?
Thanks for the advice, one of the things that I said "so much to read" was mainly that recently has been a little tire of the waiting game and hate to spend months in reading to do one app. Wish it's was much easier than it sounds, specially with no experience in JavaScript it makes it difficult for me that has no-one who has any expertise in the fields of development of apps. While some user within the forums can simply criticize/mock me for being a Whinny little baby who likes to whine about everything, it's not true at all. Nor I need no-one to spoon feed to me, but a little support will be nice(isn't that what this community claim it's there purpose) ?

I have the WebOS PDK downloaded into my computer, what else is needed the "VirtualBox" ?
Old 11/21/2012, 12:24 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Thanks for the advice, one of the things that I said "so much to read" was mainly that recently has been a little tire of the waiting game and hate to spend months in reading to do one app. Wish it's was much easier than it sounds, specially with no experience in JavaScript it makes it difficult for me that has no-one who has any expertise in the fields of development of apps. While some user within the forums can simply criticize/mock me for being a Whinny little baby who likes to whine about everything, it's not true at all. Nor I need no-one to spoon feed to me, but a little support will be nice(isn't that what this community claim it's there purpose) ?

I have the WebOS PDK downloaded into my computer, what else is needed the "VirtualBox" ?
You need a previous version of VirtualBox to have the emulator JAR set up things for you. You need version 4.1 to add new emulators, but after that you can upgrade if you'd like, but for any modifications you'll need to downgrade again. VirtualBox is used to drive the emulator, which you use to test your code in a device-like environment without needing to push it to your device all the time.

Coding is never as easy as it sounds. Regardless, it involves a lot of reading. If you're not reading on how to get started, you're reading on API documentation. You'll need to learn JavaScript, and a bit of basic HTML to get things running. JavaScript is fairly simple, and is very good with functionality feedback (I'm not sure what the actual term is) because you save, refresh, and the code is ready to be run. Someone posted a link to a free Kindle JavaScript book. I haven't read much into it, but I suppose it's enough to get you acquainted with some basic language features.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 01:50 AM   #67 (permalink)

Look Pixi, I'm one of your most vociferous critics on here, but if you seriously want to learn to code and develop, then I'd suggest not ****ing off the people on here who could help you would be a start. Also asking specific questions about what help you are looking for in order to get started is another one. When you asked a sensible question about virtualbox, you got a very helpful and sensible answer back from GMMAN. I know I'm just repeating what others have said, but if you put an effort in to learn some basics, then I'm sure there will be support available to you here.

Good luck
Liked by Vistaus and RumoredNow like this.
Old 11/21/2012, 08:30 AM   #68 (permalink)

I downloaded the Kindle book and started checkng it out, and I think it's a pretty good place to start for learning javascript. You won't get that basic knowledge from the webos docs as they assume you already know it.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 11/28/2012, 05:34 PM   #69 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

FYI emulator works fine with 4.2 No need to downgrade to make modifications.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 08:45 PM   #70 (permalink)

I had a tiny question about app development, since we started talking about it on the post. I had a little app project that I wanted to do for the TouchPad, but I need to extract some app code that I have installed on my Pre 2. My question goes, is how do I extract those source code to repackage(like add some enyo goodness to it, like sildeable panes and more) to that particular application to modify it so that it could be able to install on my TouchPad x3.0 device ?

[Edit] I heard of a Internalz application that could be found on Preware in order to extract them, how does it work and how could i remove the codes safely(without ruining something on my Pre 2 device).

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 01/12/2013 at 09:08 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 09:02 PM   #71 (permalink)

I prefer to use SFTP to shuffle files around. You've got SSH, so you might as well set up either SFTP (OpenSSH) or SCP (Dropbear). You can also copy the entire app folder or whatever you need from Internalz.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 04:11 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
You can also copy the entire app folder or whatever you need from Internalz.
Thanks GMMan, for your answer. I have one more question, if I'm able to copy the app folder using the Internalz app from Preware would it be possible to tansfer to PC. That could allow me modify the file, so that it installed/ and used on the TouchPad 3.0 OS?

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 01/14/2013 at 04:56 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 04:33 PM   #73 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Offtopic: meh, and here I thought HP finally would've leaked 3.0.6 after all but turns out the topic's kicked for something else.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.0.6, news, tracking

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0