1.    #1  
    Hello,

A friend left his TP at my house last year and I just found it recently. At this point it is fully discharged and it will not turn on, but if I connect it to my computer it will turn on briefly to tell me the cable is not recommended.

I realized that long term storage of lipoly batteries in a discharged state can negatively affect them. Is it likely the battery is completely destroyed after 9 months of storage?

I am wondering because I need to decide whether or not to buy a charger (orig charger is lost).

Thank you.
    If you are able to get it to start when connected to your computer, this indicates that it is accepting a trickle charge.

I suggest that you leave it plugged into the computer with the computer switched on but the TouchPad SWITCHED OFF and let it trickle charge for at least 24 hours, At the end of the 24 hour period, try swithing the TouchPad on and if it boots, that would indicate that the battery is undamaged.

Replacement TouchPad Chargers ARE available but may be scarce or pricey. If you can't find one, look at this thread:

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ompatible.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    If you are able to get it to start when connected to your computer, this indicates that it is accepting a trickle charge.

I suggest that you leave it plugged into the computer with the computer switched on but the TouchPad SWITCHED OFF and let it trickle charge for at least 24 hours, At the end of the 24 hour period, try swithing the TouchPad on and if it boots, that would indicate that the battery is undamaged.

Replacement TouchPad Chargers ARE available but may be scarce or pricey. If you can't find one, look at this thread:

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ompatible.html
    The Touchpad chargers are easy to find on eBay so not sure why you believe that they are hard to find (unless you mean locally).

Touchpad chargers | eBay

They are about 10-15$

The charger is 5.3V 2.1A, which is not common, and trying to charge it with anything less will probably not work, or work in a very limited fashion.

I have a more standard 5V, 2A adapter and the TP doesn't like it, I get the usual message that it's not getting enough power, but using it with my TouchStone, the TP changes fine (did it just to test it).

So unless the OP can get the original charger, I've yet to hear or read anything about USB via computer charging being possible.
    Since we are on the subject, can the TouchPad be charged with any USB cable as long as you have the right adapter? Or is the cable TouchPad specific as well? I'm asking because My TouchPad cable looks very similar to my Pre Plus cable. Didnt know if there was any difference other than the bigger adapter.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    It's the USB barrel that is specific, most cables should work if they are standard charge and data cables.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    It's the USB barrel that is specific, most cables should work if they are standard charge and data cables.
    Thanks. And I assume its not safe to use that adapter on your phone.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  7.    #7  
    Thank you. I have decided to purchase a charger. OEM chargers are available directly from HP at the Home and Home Office store online for about $20 shipped.

From what I have researched it is difficult to charge with the regular usb cable. As I understand it, if the TP detects that it is not the OEM cable, it will only charge at 500 ma, and a lot of people have reported this having little to no affect on a depleted battery.

Third party chargers generally do not work because they are rebranded ipad chargers. While the ipad chargers outputs identical power to the HP charger, there is a different resistor in between the data lines which the TP uses to determine if the charger is genuine. Only then will it accept 2A of input.
    Doesn't your friend want his device back?
    Quote Originally Posted by raspera View Post
    Thank you. I have decided to purchase a charger. OEM chargers are available directly from HP at the Home and Home Office store online for about $20 shipped.
    Good decision. Just be sure that you buy the TouchPad Charger and not the Pre Charger which looks similar but only outputs 1.0Amp.
    From what I have researched it is difficult to charge with the regular usb cable. As I understand it, if the TP detects that it is not the OEM cable, it will only charge at 500 ma, and a lot of people have reported this having little to no affect on a depleted battery.
    Not quite. The cable is a standard USB A to Micro B cable. The recognition resistors are fitted in the Barrel Charger so any Data and Charging Cable of the same spec will work.

Third party chargers generally do not work because they are rebranded ipad chargers. While the ipad chargers outputs identical power to the HP charger, there is a different resistor in between the data lines which the TP uses to determine if the charger is genuine. Only then will it accept 2A of input.
    Correct. The iPad charger uses separate potential dividers of lower impedance than that required by the TouchPad and put ~2.7V on the D- pin and ~2.4V on the Data+ pin. The TouchPad requires the Data pins to be bridged and a single potential divider of 300K to Gnd and 240K to +5V applied.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Doesn't your friend want his device back?
    Good question!
    A regular phone charger WILL work for the TP. Even though it does not report a charge and it gives you the notice that the charger is not good enough, it will still charge nonetheless. That it will charge enough to sustain power during use, that's a different story.

Bringing a device back to life from a dead battery is a toss-up, even with the official charger. But if you fiddle with it, leave it alone for a day, and try it again, it usually will boot right up the second time. Seems like it happened that way with everyone that had an issue with a TP not booting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Thanks. And I assume its not safe to use that adapter on your phone.
    Adapter works fine for the phone, battery regulates charge. I have used my TP and phone barrel to charge BT headsets and stuff too.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  13.    #13  
    I plugged it in to my computer and left it overnight and it boots up great, showing 96% battery. I also wonder if my friend wants his device back , but he is in another state and knows I have it, so it is up to him to make a play.

I am looking forward to the new charger so I can charge in < 24 hrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by raspera View Post
    I plugged it in to my computer and left it overnight and it boots up great, showing 96% battery. I also wonder if my friend wants his device back , but he is in another state and knows I have it, so it is up to him to make a play.
    ..... told you it would!