1.    #1  
    Hi
    I have just received my shiny new Nook reader. As much as I love reading on my TP I can't use it outside, as the screen is unreadable in the sun. Hence me buying a Nook Simple Touch. However, I use my TP (using the kindle app) for reading when indoors.

I have a slight issue regarding sideloaded books, which obviously aren't synced across my devices (this isn't available via kindle either unfortunately)

I've noticed that navigation to parts of my current book is via page number on the Nook, but I can only navigate to a location number in the Kindle app. For example I am on page 57 of my current book, but when I want to go to page 57 within the kindle app I can't, as I can only enter a location (incidentally, it's location 930), not a page number.
    I've noticed that the Android kindle reader has the option to enter a location or page number, but the WebOS version doesn't (I'm running WebOS version 12.50 (513366)). Am I missing something or is there a definite difference between the apps?

I could easily boot my TP into Android (CM9 installed to dual boot) and run either the Android kindle app, or the Nook app (which doesn't run under WebOS), but I want to stay with WebOS, as it's by far the best tablet OS I have used.

Do any of your clever people have a suggestion as to how I can use the WebOS kindle app to go to page numbers rather than a location number? Is there maybe a later version of the WebOS kindle app which I should be running?

This is a little niggly thing which I'm trying to work out, but not having much luck with at the moment. Ideally the OpenMobile ACLsoftware would be available to let me run the Nook app within WebOS, but that's another story (and another thread)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If I remember correctly, when sideloading with Calibre, you can modify the max location #. I'm sure there are more locations than pages, though, so I don't think you can make them the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by touchpadtom View Post
    I have a slight issue regarding sideloaded books, which obviously aren't synced across my devices (this isn't available via kindle either unfortunately)
    Just on that point, I have a regular TP. My wife has Kindle Touch which I use from time to time. And I can tell you that whispersync works perfectly in both directions (to and from TP to Kindle)

Jord
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlewy View Post
    Just on that point, I have a regular TP. My wife has Kindle Touch which I use from time to time. And I can tell you that whispersync works perfectly in both directions (to and from TP to Kindle)

Jord
    ...But that's for books purchased from Amazon, not sideloaded books. Whispersync does not synchronise sideloaded books unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply though.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    To the OP, I'm not familiar with Nook or Kindle physical devices but I have to ask myself, how do page numbers maintain consistency across many users when they're free to resize the font at will? In other words, you're varying the"word density" of a given "unit area" aka a "page". I'm sure you begin to grasp the complication of trying to come to an agreement of what "page 53" means if you have 12pt font and I have 24pt font of exactly the same text. Or did I miss the point entirely?
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    To the OP, I'm not familiar with Nook or Kindle physical devices but I have to ask myself, how do page numbers maintain consistency across many users when they're free to resize the font at will? In other words, you're varying the"word density" of a given "unit area" aka a "page". I'm sure you begin to grasp the complication of trying to come to an agreement of what "page 53" means if you have 12pt font and I have 24pt font of exactly the same text. Or did I miss the point entirely?
    That was something I originally wondered, but I've noticed that when I navigate to, say, page 53, when I turn the page, the page number still stays at 53. This will happen for maybe a couple more page turns before switching to page 54. My guess is that "page 53" has already been defined in the book structure with so many words, so if you make the font size bigger, the reader just displays "Page 53" for more page turns. The same will apply when making the font smaller I guess, although I haven't tried it that way.
    With a kindle, you can navigate to location (which is probably an indexed position within the book) so when you go to "position 930" it takes you to a certain point, irrespective of the font size.

Anyway, does anyone know whether I'm running the latest version of the Kindle reader app for WebOS, and how to navigate to page numbers instead of location (as per the original post)? I really don't want to use my Android installation on my TP but it's looking more likely if I can't navigate to page numbers from within WebOS

Any help would be gratefully received
    divide the total locations by the total pages. That will tell you how many locations per page. Then multiply that by the page number you are trying to find.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    divide the total locations by the total pages. That will tell you how many locations per page. Then multiply that by the page number you are trying to find.
    Thanks for that - it sort of works and gets me roughly in the right area, but it's not entirely accurate as the location can be anywhere on the "page", which translates to several displayed pages depending on the font size.

Ah well, I'll just have to use the Android Kindle or Nook reader (and forgo WebOS) until there's a way of running Android Apps in WebOS (or someone rewrites the WebOS kindle app to navigate to pages rather than just location)
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by touchpadtom View Post
    ...But that's for books purchased from Amazon, not sideloaded books. Whispersync does not synchronise sideloaded books unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply though.
    That's not entirely true.. I've been able to sideload several books on the kindle (using my own scripts to edit the meta data of the files) and have those files whispersync to different devices.

The problem is on the Kindle app for the TP. For some reason it won't sync sideloaded ebooks.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    That's not entirely true.. I've been able to sideload several books on the kindle (using my own scripts to edit the meta data of the files) and have those files whispersync to different devices.

The problem is on the Kindle app for the TP. For some reason it won't sync sideloaded ebooks.
    I contacted Amazon support a while ago regarding whispersync of WebOS sideloaded books. I was looking at sending a book to my kindle documents account, which then whispersyncs it to the kindle. However, it won't sync to the TP (Only the Ipad Kindle reader is supported at the moment, which is a shame). It's a bit irrelevant now as I have a Nook reader, just a shame I can't sort out the location/page issue from my original post.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    IMO, page numbers don't really make sense with e-book readers. Different font sizes, screen sizes, ect will all affect how much text is displayed. That alone will throw off the page number comparison with traditional books.