Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

    My I've just got an 'as new' Touchpad from ebay.

    First impressions are positive.

    And I'm very glad to see there is an active forum here.

    I'm unsure whether to start modifying my Touchpad, or just to leave it alone.

    The reason is, Some mods I've used in the past on other devices may have done more harm than good.

    My question is, are there any 100% safe, tried and tested things I can do to 'improve' my Touchpad, or is it best just left alone?

    For example, the Cryogen(?) mod version 9 is the latest android mod I believe, but its not totally stable or complete yet?

    I'm not saying I definitely want an android mod, but its just an example.

    Whatever it is, I wouldnt want to put half baked or buggy software in there, or worse, brick or compromise the Touchpad with some unstable mods, or fiddly, unreliable installation processes.

    So, with this in mind, are there any updates or mods that are really 'essential' and very safe?

    Or best left alone if unsure?

    Thanks
  2. #2  
    I would run it for a few days stock and then look into installing Preware and that will give you access to many reversible enhancements. And you have a lot of reading to catch up on. :-)
  3. Carini's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #3  
    I thought I would wait and go vanilla but after reading all the goodies in incinerate's thread and discovering I could remove the screen lock on sleep awake there was no looking back.
    W00sh likes this.
  4. #4  
    My opinion is just leave it alone and see how you like WebOS.

    I originally purchased my TP because I heard that Ubuntu could be installed. Once I started playing with WebOS, I ended up loving it. That was in December, and now we have 3 TP's and they are all still in their original stock condition. Yes, Android is great, but WebOS is a fantastic OS, in my opinion. I really haven't had any issues, other than a "scratchy" sound that you'll soon learn about.

    There's an issue on the TP, where the sound becomes "scratchy" and "distorted" (temporarily). It almost sounds like the speakers are blown. It happens once and a while and there are threads here that discuss it. It comes and goes on all 3 of ours and we hardly notice it anymore.

    Good luck and welcome to TouchPad ownership!
  5. #5  
    You sound like a girl who's putting off sex, because her last boyfriend did her and ditched her.
    Let me say those magical 4 words: You can't brick webOS.
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:23 PM.
  6. dr3wster's Avatar
    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You sound like a girl who's putting off sex, because her last boyfriend did her and ditched her.
    Let me say those magical 4 words: You can't brick webOS.
    LMAO quote of the century hahahahahaa

    Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
    Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
    Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

    ..
  7.    #7  
    Lol

    Thanks for the input guys.

    Yes, I think i will leave it for a few days... get the feel of it.

    I was reading incinerates thread - excellently laid out.

    I havnt noticed the speaker issue as yet... does it come and go? EDIT: Sorry, I see you said 'Temporarily'.

    Another question:

    If I spent many hours adding bits and modding, then wanted to update the OS, or even set a dual boot with android (you never know, it may happen in the future once the Andriod mod becomes totally complete), would I loose all my settings and mods and have to redo them?

    Thanks
    Last edited by theVenerable; 04/13/2012 at 10:07 AM.
  8. #8  
    From the sound of you describing stuff, I'd say you are pretty new to modifying and dont mess with your gadgets much. If I am wrong then let me say this, webOS is a hard OS to brick. HP provides a webOS doctor that repairs pretty much anything you do to your device. As far as modifications on webOS, all the stuff in preware, like patches, are safe, unless you are messing with testing feeds. Developers dont release buggy patches that will mess up your device in the regular feeds.

    As far as Android on your device. Its a pretty safe process that a lot of people have done successfully. The ROMs are stable and If anything does go wrong just refer to what I said, the webOS Doctor, and it will put your TouchPad back to normal.

    If you are not familiar with all of this, I suggest you read and get familiar with webOS and modifying before doing anything. And people in these threads are always here to help.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    Another question:

    If I spent many hours adding bits and modding, then wanted to update the OS, or even set a dual boot with android (you never know, it may happen in the future once the Andriod mod becomes totally complete), would I loose all my settings and mods and have to redo them?

    Thanks
    webOS and Android are two separate Operating systems running side by side. Anything you do in Android will not mess with webOS and visa versa. Even after first installing Android, all your webOS stuff will stay the same.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    webOS and Android are two separate Operating systems running side by side. Anything you do in Android will not mess with webOS and visa versa. Even after first installing Android, all your webOS stuff will stay the same.

    That's good news,
    I know even the mighty stable windows 7 doesn't like having its partition re-sized for a dual Linux installation.

    So I could just slip and android OS right in next to my previously set up and modded WenOS, and it wont disturb it at all?
    Impressive if that's the case.

    From first impressions anyway, I must say WebOS looks slicker, and more 'luxurious' and polished. ( I say looks, because I havn't used it enough to give my opinion of performance yet.)
    Anyway, its very nice looking.

    I'm not sure if I should ask many different questions in this one thread, but:

    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

    Is that a good case?
    It seems ok, good choice of angles on the go, and I like that its not real leather as I am a vegetarian, lol.
    But I was concerned about the popper that it attaches to that allows it to spin:
    If pressure was applied to this area, could the metal popper damage the Touchpad casing?

    Also, would any kind of screen protector be OK? Or there are some definite 'better' ones out there that are really worth getting over the standard ones on offer for cheaper prices?

    Thanks again
  11. #11  
    Like the others have said, you have the ability to recover with webOS.

    To calkm you fears, go find a comfy chair, have your favorite drink nearby, and go read the "Getting Started" thread...

    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    There are some safe mods you can do right away to make your webOS experience much better.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpmg View Post
    go find a comfy chair, have your favorite drink nearby
    A little off topic, but this made me want to sit in a comfy chair with my TouchPad and a drink next to me. Friday needs to end. lol
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Carini likes this.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    That's good news,
    I know even the mighty stable windows 7 doesn't like having its partition re-sized for a dual Linux installation.

    So I could just slip and android OS right in next to my previously set up and modded WenOS, and it wont disturb it at all?
    Impressive if that's the case.

    From first impressions anyway, I must say WebOS looks slicker, and more 'luxurious' and polished. ( I say looks, because I havn't used it enough to give my opinion of performance yet.)
    Anyway, its very nice looking.
    It shouldn't mess with anything on first setup. Im almost 100% that thats safe to say but I installed Android on my TouchPad almost immediately after I got it so I didnt have anything to lose. webOS is still the master OS on the device. Android is the slave. lol
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  14. tabletrus's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #14  
    I started in same boat back, but now have a nightly build (yesterday's build) present on my touchpad wifi. I have put the links I used for my research and upgrade here at my blog (obviously referring to this great site in addition to rootzwiki)

    <edited by staff>

    Basically all the information is out there, you dedicate a week to do reserach but in the end you will get an awesome ice cream sandwich build on a great tablet. you should be prepared to do experiments.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/13/2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: removed outside blog link
  15.    #15  
    Thanks.

    "as of now they are in early alpha stage."
    That makes me want to maybe wait for at least a beta.

    I may just do a few webOS tweaks in a while, and the maybe try an android dual boot at a later date.
    As long as my tweaked webOS will be safe when adding android, it's fine.

    I'm typing this message on my Touchpad.
    Very good keyboard for an on-screen job.

    What a machine.... Very impressed
  16. #16  
    1) Modifying webOS is very simple and I reccomend it.

    2) Android is in the alpha stages and if you are happy with your tablet how it is I wouldn't worry about it until it is at least in beta. even if it is "pretty stable" it is still in fact alpha.
    Conne>< Coding

    Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

    Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

    Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

  17. tabletrus's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    Thanks.

    "as of now they are in early alpha stage."
    That makes me want to maybe wait for at least a beta.

    I may just do a few webOS tweaks in a while, and the maybe try an android dual boot at a later date.
    As long as my tweaked webOS will be safe when adding android, it's fine.

    I'm typing this message on my Touchpad.
    Very good keyboard for an on-screen job.

    What a machine.... Very impressed
    good luck, even CM dev have tweeted that nightlies are like beta
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You sound like a girl who's putting off sex, because her last boyfriend did her and ditched her.
    Let me say those magical 4 words: You can't brick webOS.
    Brick maybe no. Granted, HP has not updated the OS much and may not do much in the future. But, guess what, when you guys were uninstalling and reinstalling and patching and unpatching and doctoring and undoctoring and posting question after questions about things that crapped out because of all your mods, after the last OS update well, I was just enjoying my TP like I had done since day one. Once you dive into the mod deal, you have to be ready to spend some serious time every now and then to keep the thing working. It can be fun and exciting getting all the new mods and learning about the OS but you have to make sure you are into it. For me, I'm afraid I would just get too frustrated if my tablet needed a lot of maintenance. Nothing wrong with guys that mod their machines and know an OS inside and out. (guess who I will go to for help when even a stock TP has issues, guys like that !!!)
    So,......,the real question might be,........ do you want a high maintenance super model girlfriend or a reasonably attractive gal that will be easy to get along with and be there for you in the long run. Each has their pros and cons.
    It just depends on the type of person you are.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric 32gb View Post
    Brick maybe no. Granted, HP has not updated the OS much and may not do much in the future. But, guess what, when you guys were uninstalling and reinstalling and patching and unpatching and doctoring and undoctoring and posting question after questions about things that crapped out because of all your mods, after the last OS update well, I was just enjoying my TP like I had done since day one. Once you dive into the mod deal, you have to be ready to spend some serious time every now and then to keep the thing working. It can be fun and exciting getting all the new mods and learning about the OS but you have to make sure you are into it. For me, I'm afraid I would just get too frustrated if my tablet needed a lot of maintenance. Nothing wrong with guys that mod their machines and know an OS inside and out. (guess who I will go to for help when even a stock TP has issues, guys like that !!!)
    So,......,the real question might be,........ do you want a high maintenance super model girlfriend or a reasonably attractive gal that will be easy to get along with and be there for you in the long run. Each has their pros and cons.
    It just depends on the type of person you are.
    I Agree.
    Modding, when it goes well, is great, and obviously not so great when it doesn't !

    I appreciate the work of the 'Pioneers' though.
    Without their constant modding & troubleshooting, we'd have no other option at all but to stick with the now unsupported webOS that HP gave us.

    I have tried Linux a few times for example. Partly due to listening to the forum peeps telling me how easy it is top use, etc.
    My own experience tells me it is not easy to use, requires lots and lots of troubleshooting, and sometimes simply has no decent alternative to the windows software that it can't run.(unless you use virtual box..etc...etc..).
    I've been burnt on that a few times now.

    With all due respect, I'm not saying thats whats going on in this forum, & I may well try a few of those Touchpad / webOS tweakes on the guide I read earlier.

    But at the same time, I know how excited and over zealous a modder can get about reccommending stuff that maybe not ready yet.
    Why would you want to run a system that cant use the camera for example?
    I think Android cant run the camera on the Touchpad yet?

    Glaring ommisions such as that make me wonder why anyone would want a half baked system stuttering along on their Touchpad.

    The pro's are of course the full android market, if its accessible?
    I cant see any other pro's at the moment.

    My untouched webOS Touchpad seems to be working very nice right out of the box.
    I updated to 3.0.5 I think it was.

    The only rather annoying issue I have had so far is, my Kindle app will refuse to run
    It says its not available in my country, utter nonsense surely? - I'm in the UK.
    Any fix on this would be great, thanks.


    Or I guess I should start a new thread for any problems such as that?
  20. #20  
    If you experience issues (like the Kindle one), be sure to search the forums first as the issue has most likely been posted (and answered) already.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions