Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    I opened my TouchPad up right out of the box on launch day, and Prewared the hell out of it. Overclocks etc. Installed CM7, CM9, now AOKP. No issues that I couldn't solve with a little help from everyone around here.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  2.    #22  
    The guide states:
    ""Step 2: Get your hands on the latest webOS doctor. You may need to do this as current load on webOS servers is extremely heavy due to the huge influx of new touchpad users. To do this, go to your main PC (NOT your touchpad) and first visit your palm profile and log in:""

I cant, as I don't have a palm profile, and don't see any option of making one.

Great start.. :/

Luckily I'm not stuck during a delicate procedure that would if not brick, at least wipe my Touchpad.

This is a prime example of why I'm wary of modding.

I guess the device may allready be pre-activated.
    Last edited by theVenerable; 04/13/2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    The guide states:
    ""Step 2: Get your hands on the latest webOS doctor. You may need to do this as current load on webOS servers is extremely heavy due to the huge influx of new touchpad users. To do this, go to your main PC (NOT your touchpad) and first visit your palm profile and log in:""

I cant, as I don't have a palm profile, and don't see any option of making one.

Great start.. :/

Luckily I'm not stuck during a delicate procedure that would if not brick, at least wipe my Touchpad.

This is a prime example of why I'm wary of modding
    You get to create a Palm profile when you log-in for the first time. To get there you will need to a "Full Erase". (Device Info>Reset Options>Full Erase). Just be aware that the Full Erase will erase installed applications and the USB drive.
  4.    #24  
    USB drive?
    sorry, I'm confused.
    So If I do an erase, I wont be able to connect it to my computer?

Thanks

Edit:
    I see.. I Think.
    You mean it will erase any pictures etc that I have saved to the device.

I've never heard that called a 'USB' device before..Rather confusing.

Ok, I will charge up my pad a little, then do the full erase.
    Last edited by theVenerable; 04/13/2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    USB drive?
    sorry, I'm confused.
    So If I do an erase, I wont be able to connect it to my computer?

Thanks

Edit:
    I see.. I Think.
    You mean it will erase any pictures etc that I have saved to the device.

I've never heard that called a 'USB' device before..Rather confusing.

Ok, I will charge up my pad a little, then do the full erase.
    You told you purchased off ebay? Was it factory clean? Otherwise you are using someone's else profile and there could; be malware Just kidding.. Yes you should always factory erase if it is not clean from ebay..
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

This is a prime example of why I'm wary of modding.

I guess the device may allready be pre-activated.
    Not to scare you off, you should be bold and brave. Afterall it is a computer and lifeless machine. Don't use the term wary repeatedly. I am telling in a positive way, it wont be bricked. But if you are really scared, just use as a webos itself. It is a great OS. Can you tell us what are you trying to achieve. i.e., What functionality is missing in webos that you are interested by going through preware/android etc. There are two kinds of people -- some people want to mod anything and get pure kick out of it. But they may not use any apps/be in the long run. Once they modded, they get that kick and move on to the next gadget. There are other kind who die for say netflix on touchpad or Draw Something on touchpad (like my daughter). For such use cases only option is to mod and make it android capable. Otherwise one has to buy a $450 machine.

tell us your use cases and we will help you reach that goal.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by tabletrus View Post
    You told you purchased off ebay? Was it factory clean? Otherwise you are using someone's else profile and there could; be malware Just kidding.. Yes you should always factory erase if it is not clean from ebay..
    lol.

Well, It was from ebay, but still in its protective wrapping.
    And I cant see a mark on it.
    But it does definitely have an account already registered on it.
    So I will be wiping it.
    I don't mind if it was used a bit, as long as it looks new.
    I guess the only thing that can wear down a bit is battery life..I hope that's not the case here.

Update:

I managed to do the business, and have got as far as overclocking the device to 1.5ghz.

I havnt done anything else yet.

I'm a bit unsure of three things here.

1. Do I always have to be in developer mode when I run the preware app?
    2. I cant find 'touchplayer' in the preware store anywhere, maybe its becasue im not running it in developer mode?
    3. There are about 666 apps plus 22 I allready have downloaded in the Preware store.
    Is that about right?
    It failed to start up the correctly the first time I tried it, so I do't know if its missing any apps or not.

Thanks
    Last edited by theVenerable; 04/14/2012 at 12:01 AM.
    lol.

I'm a bit unsure of three things here.

1. Do I always have to be in developer mode when I run the preware app?
    2. I cant find 'touchplayer' in the preware store anywhere, maybe its becasue im not running it in developer mode?
    3. There are about 666 apps plus 22 I allready have downloaded in the Preware store.
    Is that about right?
    It failed to start up the correctly the first time I tried it, so I do't know if its missing any apps or not.

Thanks
    1. No. (but there's not real reason to turn it off)
    2. Don't know. I use and recommend KalemSoft Media Player (paid) from the App Catalog
    3. That's about right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric 32gb View Post
    But, guess what, when you guys were uninstalling and reinstalling and patching and unpatching and doctoring and undoctoring and posting question after questions about things that crapped out because of all your mods, after the last OS update well, I was just enjoying my TP like I had done since day one.
    Translation, while we were spending a few hours here and there to get 200% out of our TouchPads, you were enjoying yours, unaware of what it was capable of, the functionality you were missing out on, and basically putting up with a lesser version of what you could have.

Sorry, you sound like the girl's dad, telling her to wait with sex, and warning her about getting knocked up.
    Basically because he has, and now he's stuck with a fat cow, and no wild memories to keep him from slipping into a mid-life crisis.
    As always, the fun is worth the risk. No difference here.
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Couldn't resist when I read the title of the topic:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/18545576.jpg

11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Couldn't resist when I read the title of the topic:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/18545576.jpg

lol

Where did you find my picture onilne?

Anyway..
    I've done the 'main' modification I guess:

Installed preware, and overclocked to 1.5.
    Would 1.7 / 1.8 be safe? or a bit less stable?

The rest I can slowly have a look at and see it it tickles my fancy...or if I can do it.

I still think eric32GB had a good point.
    With my track record of modding, safety first may have been a good idea.
    But as I said.. without the modders on the frontline, nothing else would ever get created.

I see both sides.

Personally, I'm probably only going to use the tried & tested mods, & wait some time before the Android mod is more complete.

Now.. let me see if I can find that touchplayer again...
    Update:: Toucplayer definately does not exist in either the normal Hp market, or the Preware market.

Once again, its lucky the upgrade instructions are faulty only on a harmless issue...

More proof that modding is a 50/50 risk.

I'm glad I got mine over clocked though at least.

Thanks
    Last edited by theVenerable; 04/14/2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Translation, while we were spending a few hours here and there to get 200% out of our TouchPads, you were enjoying yours, unaware of what it was capable of, the functionality you were missing out on, and basically putting up with a lesser version of what you could have.

Sorry, you sound like the girl's dad, telling her to wait with sex, and warning her about getting knocked up.
    Basically because he has, and now he's stuck with a fat cow, and no wild memories to keep him from slipping into a mid-life crisis.
    As always, the fun is worth the risk. No difference here.
    Actually I should have gone with the fat cow. The supermodel spent all my money and left me with child support. Cool to quote but please quote the whole post.
    quote:

Toucplayer definately does not exist in either the normal Hp market, or the Preware market.

Touchplayer is available through a private feed in preware, you have to add it manually. A search of this forum should turn up the instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I opened my TouchPad up right out of the box on launch day, and Prewared the hell out of it. Overclocks etc. Installed CM7, CM9, now AOKP. No issues that I couldn't solve with a little help from everyone around here.
    Wish that I could find the courage to starting modding my only HP TouchPad that I have currently on my hands. I seen a lot of folks, installing these software like CM7 or the CM9 with Android firmware on them which for me its categorized on the "Do and dont's" on a device like the TouchPad. While it might be worthy for some do to that, on my side of view, its not very recommendable installation of CM9(specially since it still got it quirks).

Today, finally when on venturing myself with the installation of the Preware on my tablet device. Never, thought of the easiness of making that preware installation on my devices.....the whole process was smooth and easy to install. Now I have the icon of the penguin on my device, although I'm still second guessing myself with the whole process of over-clocking thing in my TouchPad to bring the speed up to 1.5Ghz. Still thinking that it might make my device either unstable or overheat things. And plus, battery life something that worries me.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Wish that I could find the courage to starting modding my only HP TouchPad that I have currently on my hands. I seen a lot of folks, installing these software like CM7 or the CM9 with Android firmware on them which for me its categorized on the "Do and dont's" on a device like the TouchPad. While it might be worthy for some do to that, on my side of view, its not very recommendable installation of CM9(specially since it still got it quirks).

Today, finally when on venturing myself with the installation of the Preware on my tablet device. Never, thought of the easiness of making that preware installation on my devices.....the whole process was smooth and easy to install. Now I have the icon of the penguin on my device, although I'm still second guessing myself with the whole process of over-clocking thing in my TouchPad to bring the speed up to 1.5Ghz. Still thinking that it might make my device either unstable or overheat things. And plus, battery life something that worries me.
    The beauty of the Preware system is that it does not commit you permanently to anything. If you don't like something, just uninstall it. Overclocking is just as simple as you have already done, so go ahead and try it. Battery life is not a problem. Items which are available in the normal feeds of Preware have gone through a testing/beta process and you can be reasonably sure that they are stable.

Installing Android is handled by an entirely different group and I would steer clear of that for a while if I were you, but then I have no interest at all in running Android.
  16.    #36  
    I can say, the Preware is very easy to install.
    As was the oveclocking patches etc.

You have nothing to fear in my opinion.
    And that's coming from a total newcomer.

I'm Really liking my Touchpad, its a really nice piece of kit.

I even managed to get the pirvate feed of touchplayer installed,
    But touchplayer itself was not working very well I found, and rather than spend ages searching for solutions, I spent out on the kalemsoft player - that did the trick.

I'm hungry to get a dual boot going on my Touchpad, but I feel android just isn't ready enough to risk it yet.

I will wait for a nice stable release.
    I installed cm7 once... I found no reason to keep it, honestly. As for tinkering with webOS, I've lost count of how many times I've had to Dr it. The doctor even reads battery state and charges before proceeding if the level is too low.
    Feel free to experiment, I still dont know exactly how the Dr works, but I haven't found a way to accidentally brick this sucker yet. Found dome useful edits, though.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12