Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got my Touchpad last year during the fire sale. It has always been in a protective case, and never been dropped, I really take care of my electronics. So, I was surprised to see that there was a crack by one of the speakers. I am trying to decide whether it is worth sending it back to HP? I imagine that they would give me a refurbed one, but are they all scratched up and did they ever fix this issue of the case cracking? I am also worried that I probably voided the warranty by putting Cyanomod 9 on it, and overclocking after putting preware on it. Should I try just super glueing instead?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by red71rum; 04/10/2012 at 08:25 AM.
    There's been reports of people that have had CM7/9 on their TouchPads, and still got warranty work done. It is STRONGLY advisable to remove all traces of such modifications prior to sending it in. Use the ACMEUninstaller2 to remove ICS, and revert back to your stock kernel, and perform a webOS Doctor.

No they did not fix the issue with the cracks.

Personally, I have a small hairline crack, and I'm not sending mine in.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    There's been reports of people that have had CM7/9 on their TouchPads, and still got warranty work done. It is STRONGLY advisable to remove all traces of such modifications prior to sending it in. Use the ACMEUninstaller2 to remove ICS, and revert back to your stock kernel, and perform a webOS Doctor.

No they did not fix the issue with the cracks.

Personally, I have a small hairline crack, and I'm not sending mine in.
    It seems like a lot of work to just fix something that is really cosmetic. Mine actually slightly pops up over the speaker, so it is more than a crack. I was wondering if anyone had tried gorilla glue or something on this before?

edit: I have attached a pic taken with my Evo cell phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by red71rum; 04/10/2012 at 08:27 AM.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    mine has a very similar crack around the speaker, HP have said that they would fix/"replace" the pad. Has anyone had any experience with this?

D
    Glued mine a couple of months ago....don't worry about it...I handle my TP heavy and the the glue stopped the crack in its tracks

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Quote Originally Posted by red71rum View Post
    I got my Touchpad last year during the fire sale. It has always been in a protective case, and never been dropped, I really take care of my electronics. So, I was surprised to see that there was a crack by one of the speakers. I am trying to decide whether it is worth sending it back to HP? I imagine that they would give me a refurbed one, but are they all scratched up and did they ever fix this issue of the case cracking? I am also worried that I probably voided the warranty by putting Cyanomod 9 on it, and overclocking after putting preware on it. Should I try just super glueing instead?
    Ouch! It looks awful that crack around the speaker, luckily nothing has happened to mine still. I have mine in the HP case that I bought off on Amazon for $15 bucks, and still no cracks or scratches on my TouchPad. I think that I'll be knocking on wood now, so I won't jinx myself (with the TouchPad curse of broken speakers) :O

And about sending to HP, don't know about that. Just check the warranty by chatting with HP themselves to the customer service line, and see if they would be able to fix that.
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 04/12/2012 at 01:33 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    I think its worth it. Had mine repaired about 2 months ago. They are repairing and sending them back as I think they are out of refurbs. Came back looking brand new. That being said one thing I did notice after being repaired, every time I hit the home button the screen near the button indents a little bit, as if you are touching a laptop screen if you get my drift. Its no biggie and i am still glad I sent it back. Took 8 days total. I have not noticed any new cracks since being repaired.
    Dunno, just got mine back from the for a USB port issue. Took 13 days, and the back still has all the cracks I sent it in with. I know it was disassembled, since the screen is seated better though.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Yes
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Update: I just got my confirmation email from HP saying the device is being shipped. Got my UPS tracking number, I hope its in good shape when it comes.

Derek
    If it has the same issue in the future, slap some guerilla super glue on before it snaps like that again and throw a vinyl skin on it, if you want extra adhesion.
    I'm glad I have my full skin protector on my TouchPad (Skinomi Silver CF). It may not stop cracks from happening, but the outer skin will help hold everything together (especially around the speakers).
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Ok well that was fast, "my" touchpad is back, it is not the same unit but seems to be in good shape, no scratches or scuffs and the screen is great. I have ordered a TPU case for it, hope that helps. How hard those skins to apply?

D
    My original touchpad was sent back for cracks, the refurb they sent me had a non working camera, non working light sensor and the glass was coming out from the frame. The refurb I'm using now was immaculate, but now has cracks. I'll send it back one day, but what do we do when the warranty is up? This problem won't just go away on its own and it brings down the resale value considerably.
    Quote Originally Posted by deke View Post
    Ok well that was fast, "my" touchpad is back, it is not the same unit but seems to be in good shape, no scratches or scuffs and the screen is great. I have ordered a TPU case for it, hope that helps. How hard those skins to apply?

D
    It seems daunting, but it's pretty easy. If it worked out great for me---that means it's fairly *****-proof.

I'm glad there's been a (few) success stories posted here about the HP repairs.
    I'd still just send mine in as a last resort.
    You plug your phone in?
    Quote Originally Posted by woosh View Post
    It seems daunting, but it's pretty easy. If it worked out great for me---that means it's fairly *****-proof.

I'm glad there's been a (few) success stories posted here about the HP repairs.
    I'd still just send mine in as a last resort.
    I think that by me talking about cracked speakers, the curse of the HP TouchPad finally happened to me. Just yesterday, I noticed a hairline crack smaller than centimeter on my speakers on the left grill. Its barely noticeable one, but it annoy me the most because its always on the HP case and don't know why is been starting to crack around the speaker. Its not too extreme to send to HP for repairs, but been paranoid that it will continue to crack even more than it started to crack on the speakers. I don't want to mess around the aesthetics of my device with using crazy glue, yet I think that maybe the only possible choice that sending it to those stupid people from HP.

Still wandering the reasons of HP using such cheap materials on the touchpad when it could a used materials like Apple iPads aluminium or metals to make the tablet last a bit longer. If plastic would had not been used on these tablets, everything could have been better.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I think that by me talking about cracked speakers, the curse of the HP TouchPad finally happened to me. Just yesterday, I noticed a hairline crack smaller than centimeter on my speakers on the left grill. Its barely noticeable one, but it annoy me the most because its always on the HP case and don't know why is been starting to crack around the speaker. Its not too extreme to send to HP for repairs, but been paranoid that it will continue to crack even more than it started to crack on the speakers. I don't want to mess around the aesthetics of my device with using crazy glue, yet I think that maybe the only possible choice that sending it to those stupid people from HP.

Still wandering the reasons of HP using such cheap materials on the touchpad when it could a used materials like Apple iPads aluminium or metals to make the tablet last a bit longer. If plastic would had not been used on these tablets, everything could have been better.
    As long as you use good quality super or plastic glue, it should be barely noticeable. IMO better to strike now with a veneer of glue then wait until the entire piece cracks off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
    As long as you use good quality super or plastic glue, it should be barely noticeable. IMO better to strike now with a veneer of glue then wait until the entire piece cracks off.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I went on to apply a few drops of super glue to my small crack around the speaker. Hope that with me acting quickly on the small crack, it stopped the problem.

Now, even though the problem was remedied with the super glue.....If my touchpad didn't felt cheap with the back plastic casing(used by HP products) it feels even cheaper now with the patch of super glue. I'm crossing my fingers, that that's ends up of it when it comes to the cracks in speaker grill for my touchpad.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    sent mying back for screen issues got it back within a week they even left my bodygourdz skin on but they broke open the sim card slot on my wifi 32gb and now it sticks open cant lock it down kind of bugs
    Put a skin on the back of that baby and you'll never see your superglue fix.
    You plug your phone in?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast