Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to launch this thread for all WebOS users who owns a TouchPad, to showcase their home-screen on how many apps do you own. I decided to take the dust-off my old TouchPad, and turn it on once again to see at least what WebOS app catalog have brought when it comes to new apps for the tablet.

As you could probably see mine, there isn't much on my home-screen since there are pretty much not that many apps available that arouses my interest to download them. Yet, I'm willing to go into this forum to ask all users of the TouchPad which apps are new and which one you(forum posters) uses the most of the time. For example, my most favorite one could be "Glimpse" and "Advanced Browser" which it brings some nice alternative when it comes to browsing the net on the TouchPad. I like them more than the inefficient stock browser which comes pre-packed on WebOS which it fails to render pages correctly and its slow to boot.

So go ahead take a snapshot of your home-screen on your WebOS TouchPad, and show among the new and old users which are your must-have apps for the TouchPad. Maybe I could even finally click on the HP App Catalog to find something new that it haven't been discovered by my own eyes. I think that this post could be fun, showcase the best of what WebOS could bring in terms of Apps.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    lindaphilander likes this.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Nice idea but I have 7 screens full of apps. I have split them into 'apps' for the ones that came with my tp plus a few others, 'Downloads' which hold ones I can't put anywhere else, 'Favourites', for web pages and a few key apps, 'HB' for ones from here, 'What's on' for all news and other internet information programs' , 'Games' for games, 'Settings' for the TouchPad settings and 'Misc' for any others.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Nice idea but I have 7 screens full of apps. I have split them into 'apps' for the ones that came with my tp plus a few others, 'Downloads' which hold ones I can't put anywhere else, 'Favourites', for web pages and a few key apps, 'HB' for ones from here, 'What's on' for all news and other internet information programs' , 'Games' for games, 'Settings' for the TouchPad settings and 'Misc' for any others.
    Seven pages full of apps, that's a tons of apps specially for the lack of apps that WebOS platform had suffered due to HP lack of back-up against a nice platform like Palm WebOS. By the looks of it, you have all pages filled on your launcher with apps across all over system. Wish that WebOS had a way to organize apps like Blackberry and iOS to create folders for apps to properly label them into categories.

One thing that currently lacks into the WebOS will be nice video chat platforms instead of Skype like Yahoo!; Google Talk; and Microsoft's MSN. And another, a good web-browser which WebOS doesn't have a good app to start with. I have been looking around for some RSS feeds for news but its no easy thing to pick which one might be best specially for the TouchPad. A nice recommendations will be nice from some forum posters.

Please, if anyone would like to show-off your launcher home-screens feel free to post your picture of your HP TouchPad screen.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    How did you get 7? The patch I have only has 6 and they are more than full. Plus I have the launcher button removed for an additional icon in quick launch bar.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    How did you get 7? The patch I have only has 6 and they are more than full. Plus I have the launcher button removed for an additional icon in quick launch bar.
    It was one of the preware patches that allowed me to add as many as I like. I shortened "Homebrew" to "HB" and the all fit OK in landscape mode (and there may actually be 8, not 7)

Alan
    Didn't know about that one, so what happens if you add say, 15 pages? Are you able to side scroll the tabs, by themselves or does it only show the 3 or 4 on either side of what page you are on?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    In answer to OP, I'll give you the quick rundown.

Page 1 APPS Stock Apps, and a few that I use more often than not.
    Page 2 DOWNLOADS Everything I download goes here, mostly unsorted, I like searching aimlessly for something new to do....or if I know what I'm looking for I "Just Type"<----90% of the time.
    Page 3 FAVORITES 1 App in this one, see Page 2 for details why.
    Page 4 GAMES Of the unsorted mess of Page 2, I do try and put all my games in here.
    Page 5 HOMEBREW Self explanatory.
    Page 6 SETTINGS See Page 5 for details.

Launcher Bar L-R
    Email, AdvBrowser, Clock, Project Macaw, Song ID, Music Player Remix, Wifi Sharing, Messaging ...it's what I use the most.

I did a quick ballpark guess, I have over 300 apps sitting on my TouchPad, some I have never used, some I've only used a few times.

Here's some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned:
    KalemSoft Media Player
    SkyOrb
    Sports Live HD
    Time Lapse Camera (with a full battery, and 20GB of music removed, you can get a LOT of frames captured)
    Epicurious
    Wild'n Video Poker
    Tweet Viewer
    Galcon Fusion
    Astraware Mahjong
    Calgary Herald

I did just recently start using Glimpse, even though I've had it since it was a freebie in the catalog months and months ago. It's kinda cool, I like the concept....good for while I'm sitting on the couch, not good while I'm working....I prefer a full card for one type of app.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    It was one of the preware patches that allowed me to add as many as I like. I shortened "Homebrew" to "HB" and the all fit OK in landscape mode (and there may actually be 8, not 7)

Alan
    LOL Sledge and I are still rocking the patch from back in July that Rod made. Actually a linux script IIRC and not a patch.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    OK - here are my screens.

Alan
    All working apps. No shortcuts to web sites except one that requires internet and thats Interlocked plus the common items on the quick launch bar..
    Last edited by fir3walk3r; 04/10/2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: forgot something
    Okay I could not find that patch last night.

Is it in testing feeds or custom feed?

Mind giving me the name of the patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Okay I could not find that patch last night.

Is it in testing feeds or custom feed?

Mind giving me the name of the patch?
    No Launcher Button - Maintainer kyle3om - Verision 3.0.5-4...located in custom(normal) feeds.
    id - org.webosinternals.patches.app-launcher-no-launcher-button

:-)
    Sorry not that one, the one that let Alan setup custom launcher pages.

I've got no launcher button already
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    its called Suborbital.

Alan
    Came across a thread about that this morning, didn't have time to read it. Thanks alan!
    Quote Originally Posted by fir3walk3r View Post
    All working apps. No shortcuts to web sites except one that requires internet and thats Interlocked plus the common items on the quick launch bar..
    how do I add wallpaper behind my icons? I have my picture on the home screen but just a gray background on other pages.
    You can refer to ---> [Touchpad] Glass Effect Suite
    Only difference between garret92c and mine, I renamed the launcher-bg.png to launcher-bg.bak file(requires luna restart) rather then trying to change opacity value. That the reason why its clear.
    Last edited by fir3walk3r; 04/11/2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: correction
  18.    #18  
    OK - here are my screens.

Alan
    Thanks for sharing those screens, it made me download a few more apps to my launcher screen.

I have just Two question: did Evernote released a tablet-sized version for TouchPad that I'm seeing on your home-screen ? Cause, the only one I'm seeing its the phone version but the optimized app for the tablet sized TouchPad. And second one will be, How did you add those pages like games and Musc to your HP TouchPad tablet launcher home-screen ?

Again thanks, for everyone who contributed to this post with their nice suggestions of apps. Wish more people gets involved with this nice post. Would like to see how many apps could I continue download to TouchPad that maybe add a bit more productivity apps to my tablet.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Thanks for sharing those screens, it made me download a few more apps to my launcher screen.

I have just Two question: did Evernote released a tablet-sized version for TouchPad that I'm seeing on your home-screen ? Cause, the only one I'm seeing its the phone version but the optimized app for the tablet sized TouchPad. And second one will be, How did you add those pages like games and Musc to your HP TouchPad tablet launcher home-screen ?

Again thanks, for everyone who contributed to this post with their nice suggestions of apps. Wish more people gets involved with this nice post. Would like to see how many apps could I continue download to TouchPad that maybe add a bit more productivity apps to my tablet.
    1. Look for eNotes in the app catalogue. However, there is an Evernote server bug shich is stopping all evernote clients working.
    2. Look for SubOrbital in the Preware catalogue.

Cheers

Alan
    more app added since april
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast