Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rnld
  • 2 Post By stung
  1.    #1  
    India: HP we continue to study the tablet market. A new webOS tablet ?

HP CEO Meg Whitman said before HP will study the possibility of a new webOS tablet for 2013.

Today Mr Vinay Chandra Awasthi, Senior Director (Product and Marketing), told Business Line, “We continue to study the tablet market, when we are close to something, we will definitely share the information.”

The sure thing is HP will go with a Windows 8 tablet as soon as Microsoft launch the OS in late September 2012. The actual HP windows 7 tablet is the Slate 2. So I don´t think HP is studying this Windows tablet possibility, because the Slate 3 Windows 8 version will be available for October for sure, but for the webOS new tablet.

This comment was made on Thursday, in India, where HP launched Z1- a 27-inch all-in-one workstation. Priced at Rs 1 lakh, the device comes with a 3-year warranty.

“With this device we are creating a new category space for workstation targeting professionals in media and entertainment industry, architecture, engineering, construction, oil and gas and geographic information system,” said Mr Anurag Gupta, Category Head (Mobility PSG), HP.

The company claims a 53 per cent market share in the workstation space. “It is an approximately 70,000 unit annual market, of which we claim 53 per cent share,” added Mr Gupta.

HP also showcased its new line up of Z workstations – Z820, Z620 and Z420 starting at Rs 50, 000.

Source: Business Line : Industry & Economy / Info-tech : HP may re-enter tablet market
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    We shall see.

This brings back memories of when Uncle Leo visited India and told all those nice employee folk to, "...get ready to throw away your iphones."
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cujoq37 View Post
    We shall see.

This brings back memories of when Uncle Leo visited India and told all those nice employee folk to, "...get ready to throw away your iphones."
    Yes,
    Unless they have a secret Skunk works project going somewhere deep inside their R&D I do not believe that they have another webOS tablet in the making for 2013.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    In addition to fixing the lag,performance webOS needs to catch up whatever iOS,Android and Win 8 will offer in 2013. That's a tall order.
    Quote Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
    For a company like HP to say that they are studying something is completely meaningless. Is there anything in technology that a company the size of HP isn't studying? Given what is going on in the tablet market, right now, if HP isn't fully in the game then they are out. HP must be studying how all of their enterprise customers are adopting iPads.
    We are watching the death of HP it will probably be drawn out and downright ugly before its over.
    The article does not even hint that a new tablet would be using WebOS.
    Last edited by rnld; 04/07/2012 at 01:39 PM.
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    HP didn't say anything about a webOS tablet in 2013, let alone a tablet in 2013. I personally believe that we'll see a Windows 8 tablet in 2012, whether it's just announced or released to the public, and 2013 will bring a slew of W8 tablets, and possibly one webOS device. That being said though, I wouldn't be surprised if HP stopped making webOS hardware altogether. After all, it wouldn't be the first time they let us down.
    HP has stopped making all WebOS hardware.
    What exactly is webOS hardware?
    All they have to do is create a tablet for ARM processor cores which is not as unlikely as some of you might think because Microsoft Windows 8 will be available for x86/x64 as well as ARM processors.

If HP decides not just to offer a x86/x64 Tablet but also one for ARM processors there is only minor work to get webOS running on the same hardware as Windows 8 for ARM. They have to optimize the software (see remarks below) but that's all.

For ARM processor cores they can choose between Qualcomm (MSM8xxx / APQ8xxx - most likely the new "Snapdragon Krait"), TI (OMAP4xxx or the new ARM Cortex-A15 based OMAP5xxx Series) or Samsung (Exynos Series).
    Yes, theoretically they can also choose some others (e.g. Marvell with their Armada 510 ARM based processors also found in HP Smart Client t5335z) but I think that's very unlikely, because they are not fast enough.

The base of webOS is Linux, so I don't see a major problem for the general functionality (including touchscreen,..). Basically webOS is a GUI on top of a Linux Kernel with some extra functions so the application framework has (limited) access to the hardware level. That's basically the same for Android which is also just a VM on top of Linux which offers a GUI plus limited hardware access.
    The only bigger problem is see is that they have speed up the webOS GUI and for that need to use the available hardware better. So we are down to the GPU on the integrated processor.

I think you all remember the bad performance reviews when the Touchpad was released (as well as before that). We've seen quite some improvements with each of the webOS 3.x updates until today but there is still room for improvements and this would continue on new hardware.

So new Tablets for webOS could be available later this year. What's more unlikely are phones because HP is not really a phone maker and their relationship with MS is centered around PC hardware not phones.
    The second reason is that MS teamed up with Nokia for mobile phones. Nokia dropped the ball a few years ago (just like RIM now) and would be producing rubber boots (again) if MS would not pay them a lot of money to focus on mobile phones running Windows Phone 7.
    Juergen
    WebOS hardware is a device that HP would be making utilizing WebOS.

All mobile phones and tablets using WebOS have been discontinued by HP.
    Straight from the horse's mouth:
    --3-4 year plan.
    --Meg thinks there will be new tablets but doesn't know when and that could change.
    --She is going to give webOS some time but it needs to show success. IE developers need to be on board, hardware manufacturers need to sign on.

That said, my thought is Win8 is going to play a role in this. If it is a wild success, webOS will be more likely to be buried. If corporations are hesitant to sign onto win8 and consumers say: "meh", HP will look hard again at webOS (these are my own thoughts). The Lumia phone came out today which I gather is the first or one of the first to run the new windows US and so far it has seen mixed reviews.

Some of the bigger complaints seem to be lack of apps. (the complaints about desktop from the developers preview seem to be that is confusing as the older apps can still be run but they will be run on the classic interface thereby giving the user a confused experience between the new metro UI and the older classic).

I hate to say it but if a way is truly found to run all the android apps in webOS, as spy-ware ish and ad-ridden as they may be, it may save Open webOS from this constant complaint about not having enough apps.

Meg Whitman and Marc Andreessen on webOS: 'We will use webOS in new hardware... in tablets' | The Verge

"So what is the metric for success or failure with webOS at this point? How do you know 'hey we're winning, it's working,' or if you need to reevaluate?

Meg: Well first I want to set expectations about time frame. This is going to take some time. If you look back at the history of Mozilla or Red Hat — these things did not become giant platforms over night. This in my view is a 4 or 5 year timeframe, and I want to make sure we really communicate that. And then I think the measures of success — and I'm not going to give you numbers here — but the measures of success are going to be: how many developers are writing for this platform? Have there been other hardware manufacturers who have signed on and built devices, whether they be tablets or devices of the future or smartphones? And ultimately, the ability of developers to make money.

But you think this is 4 or 5 years before you can evaluate if it's doing what you want it to do?

Meg: There will be milestones along the way, but one thing I know about technology is that if you believe in something, you have to have a longer term horizon than next week, next quarter, or next year. When we looked at alternatives, we said 'what will be affordable to HP to invest, and get this thing going,' and we'll monitor along the way. There's a bit of a test and iterate here — it's not just something you say 'if it's not perfect in a year, we're out of here.'"
    WebOS was first released on the Palm Pre nearly 3 years ago. WebOS is not a newcomer to the marketplace.

Who is going to be excited about WebOS being released again with such a spotty history?
    I'm very skeptical, MS has a large amount of clout with hp. They would NOT be amused if hp became disenchanged with Win8 as a tablet OS & restarted WebOS development. MS has many ways it could discourage hp from restarting WebOS, or even an Android tablet.

eg: MS could adopt many business incentives (eg: Win8 pricing for pcs) that would put hp over a barrell.

Have you noticed that MS isn't exactly a fan of google anyomore? Google is no longer one of the search engine choices for IE 9's search bar on Win7!!! You have to go get the google search bar & install it yourself, then disable the MSN search bar add-in.

Just my $0.02....
    My guess is HP won't build hardware for 2 software platforms. It is much to risky to develop hardware for the sole purpose of webOS. But I can absolutely imagine that they build something for W8 and give the user a pre-installed webOS that just needs to be activated. You would have a large hardware base that may try (and love) webOS. This way, you get a user base without risking to much in hardware development. With a somewhat big user base, you attract devs to build apps. With more apps, you probably attract more users that want webOS, not a W8 tablet.

For the phone market, I can't see another route than HP developing a flagship device. I do not think that hardware makers would risk to build a device with webOS and no-one buys it. So what you need is HP to develop a phone that has a lot of power, this will make the webOS experience very good. If they don't, than it will be very hard to encourage anyone to build a device. The HP phone doesn't have to look shiny or be the thinnest phone on the market, what you need is a good display size, a powerful internals for the OS to be snappy and a very good build quality, because we all here know bad quality from Palm. I don't know if HP considers another phone internally, but I think it is the only way to give webOS a chance out there.

Long live webOS (and someone in Germany sell me a cheap Pre 3 please).