Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    Hmmmmm. Sorry that all that effort was seemingly for not. It is frustrating when there is no way to say "It always happens when....".

You did a reboot after deleting the apps, right? The only other thing that I can think is to delete even Pandora, reboot and re-install and see if it happens. If it does, call the 'ole HP help desk and see if there is anything they can offer.

Good luck,
    Already did all of that but thanks for ack of the frustration it is causing. (feeling my pain,...LOL)
    Lot's of sharp guys up here. I bet one will find a solution. Until then, I miss pandora.
    Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    Why don't a few of you that have just started seeing the problem list what other apps you have loaded on the last couple of weeks. There maybe a common thread there.

I have an app that loads a "beep" sound when you press the wrong button. When you load that app it will pause pandora. If I go into the source code of the offending app and comment out the "beep", Pandora plays fine.
    it happens to me even if nothing else is running. I have tried both the org. App as well as the drewk. App both with the same results. I an going to shut off email notification. A lot of the time I ha e only Pandora running and I am reading a book( old school one with pages and everything.) so the only thing in direct use is pandora.
    I went ahead and posted the Bug up on the HP app center under the Drew Sparks Pandora app. I even referenced this forum so hopefully they will look up here and get the low down on the issues many of us have had. I stated that it just started this week for all of us. Keep your fingers crossed guys. LOL If any of you guys can get in touch with Drew Sparks directly please do so. (or any other way to get the ball rolling on a fix) Do any of you remember if there was an updated lately for the app?
    I download that stuff and forget it. If so, that could be our culprit.
    Drew Sparks does twitter. I do not tweet so how bout one of you that tweets shoot him a tweet about this stuff.
    Direct him up here.
    I too have been having problems with Pandora, plays for a few songs then pauses. I have cm9 android with the dual boot (only way to get netflix) but usually stay on the web os side. I booted up cm9 and tried Pandora...worked great all day. So I don't have an answer, just an observation
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    If it's happening to the official version of Pandora, then it's likely that the webOS version is using an older version of the API and things are bound to go to hell when you're stuck with an app 5 steps back from the others.

Also, the Drew Sparks version is unauthorized to use Pandora API and the API was never meant for public use. It could be Pandora changing the API and purposely hobbling users of that version of the API (which is likely shared by the webOS version). Developers using APIs they're unauthorized to use will always face this problem.

What tells me it's both is that:

1. The webOS version of Pandora is ancient, likely using a now-deprecated API version
    2. A lot of people have figured out the Pandora API since then and started building unauthorized apps around it
    3. Pandora wised up and started messing with them, being able to update the API and distribute updates to supported platforms (which doesn't include webOS, obviously)

It's not like they haven't done this before, either:

Pandora once again alters their APIs, breaks unauthorized 3rd party Windows Phone apps: http://www.wpcentral.com/pandora-onc...ows-phone-apps

For the record, there is no public, official API that Pandora offers for developers to use. They generally rule their system with a pretty tight fist because they largely use ad revenue as an income stream. If you're a publicly-traded company like they are, you 1) defend that income stream, and 2) consider going after anyone and everyone affecting it negatively.
    Ok well that pretty much explains the situation. So,....it is Pandora doing to us basically what Hulu did to us and yes I do understand the advertiser income stream deal. (Economics background on this end) And by the way, you are correct on it being both issues as it happens on the non drew sparks version too. I take it my only choice is to go the CM9 Android route for long term stability? I knew one way or the other someone up here would get to the bottom of the issue. I do not like the answer but I thank you for the truth.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric 32gb View Post
    Ok well that pretty much explains the situation. So,....it is Pandora doing to us basically what Hulu did to us and yes I do understand the advertiser income stream deal. (Economics background on this end) And by the way, you are correct on it being both issues as it happens on the non drew sparks version too. I take it my only choice is to go the CM9 Android route for long term stability? I knew one way or the other someone up here would get to the bottom of the issue. I do not like the answer but I thank you for the truth.
    I don't think I'd say "Pandora is doing to us". It's more like what the poeple that did not respect the copyright did to us. Last month I posted a thread in this forum, warning that this could happen (BELOW).

------------------ Snip -----------------
    Pandora users please read:

Pandora | Skip Limit

If this is abused, which this thread is based on, they will probably start device sniffing and cut us off. I will be very unhappy if that happens as I am a long time subscriber to Pandora. Please consider the consequences of your actions and don't do it.

------------------ Snip -----------------

So Pandora probably took a look at their webOS click-through ad revenue and per user license numbers (skewed by the limiter being removed) and made a sound business decision. Remember that while the App may be free to us, they are not free for the developers to create or support.

So taking a big picture look at this situation, not only are we screwed out having Pandora, more people will abandon webOS further contributing to it's demise. Isn't that just friggin' great! But hey, now you can bypass the skip limiter. Woohoooo! Oh wait, now I can't. It won't even play one song.
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    I'm confused. What's all this about Pandora not working? I'm listening to it on my touchpad right now. And TWack, I agee with you about unlimited skips. I find little need for it and as I understand it Pandora pays royalties for all those skipped songs so not going to like it. Better to be careful picking your seed song for beet results.
    What is happening to me and many people in here is that it is not that the app does not work but that it occasionally pauses on its own and in order to get it to start again, you have to physically hit the play button again, which becomes a real pain when your device is on the other side of the room.

As a paying subscriber I sent an email to Pandora requesting that they either allow us access to the web page again or fix the app or lose me as a subscriber. Everyone in here needs to email Pandora to put pressure on them so they will be movtivated to help find a solution to this issue.
    I can access the pandora web page. Have they locked us out? If so must be the hulu fix making it work for me. And fortunately for me I have yet to be afflicted with the pausing. Perhaps some background app I'm not running?
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I can access the pandora web page. Have they locked us out? If so must be the hulu fix making it work for me. And fortunately for me I have yet to be afflicted with the pausing. Perhaps some background app I'm not running?
    I believe the pandora page works just fine and I was so used to using the app I did jot even think of just using the page as I do on a regular computer. I notice all the ads show up on the webpage with our tablets so I do not think this will ever be an issue. (pandora will get the revenue stream they need to keep running)
    Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    I have started using my pre- and so far no issues on Pandora. I both understand twacks explanation and shouldn't care. I only switched to drews app because my original app stopped working. I never skip songs unless the app gets frozen. If the main problem is that we are on the titanic and trying to complain about the song selection then so be it. I am here until James Cameron films us at the sea floor. I was just hoping someone could resolve the issue.
    Eric 32gb likes this.
    Titanic too funny
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    And fortunately for me I have yet to be afflicted with the pausing. Perhaps some background app I'm not running?
    I was wr-wr-wr-wrong... Not sure if I just didn't notice, probably. My daughter uses Pandora more than me and hasn't said anything about this problem. I've been listening mostly to tunein lately which plays just fine. After I posted the above yesterday, I tested to be sure and found out the pauses are happening here to. Well, dang, that's a shame.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I have started using my pre- and so far no issues on Pandora. I both understand twacks explanation and shouldn't care. I only switched to drews app because my original app stopped working. I never skip songs unless the app gets frozen. If the main problem is that we are on the titanic and trying to complain about the song selection then so be it. I am here until James Cameron films us at the sea floor. I was just hoping someone could resolve the issue.
    I'll test on my Pre3 and Veer. And post results later.

Look Jack, I'm flying... LOL
    TWack

I'm glad no problems with my pre- app. I do get the annoying pause on my touchpad on drew's version and the patched stock app. Plenty of other options for music on touchpad tho.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    So I go in and build the app with logging turned on to track the device data being sent to Pandora and now it won't stall. Grrrrrrrr!

I hate it when it works when you're trying to troubleshoot. I'll just let it run.

UPDATE: And now we're stalled...... Troubleshooting can begin.
    Last edited by twack; 04/08/2012 at 11:50 AM.
    TWack

FYI it looks like there's an Enyo app about to come out of private Beta testing soon.http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-touchpad.html
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    I'm glad no problems with my pre- app. I do get the annoying pause on my touchpad on drew's version and the patched stock app. Plenty of other options for music on touchpad tho.
    Happening on my touchpad even with the original stock version. But yes there are other options like tunein I've been using more lately.

So I go in and build the app with logging turned on to track the device data being sent to Pandora and now it won't stall. Grrrrrrrr!

I hate it when it works when you're trying to troubleshoot. I'll just let it run.

UPDATE: And now we're stalled...... Troubleshooting can begin.
    Thanks for looking at it Twack...
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Well Pandora fans, it appears to be something other than the Pandora mother ship causing the problem. In between stealing my niece's and nephew's Reese's Eggs, I was able to determine that both the Pre3 and TouchPad report the device as "Pre". All communication between the client and server appear to be the same. So since my Pre3 runs fine and Pandora doesn't, I suspect TouchPad unique OS or loaded apps.

Maybe a recent app update has caused the issue? Can we find someone that has not applied the latest updates to try their Pandora and see if there are any stalls? Or can someone roll-back to a previous doctor?

Update #1
    I just deleted the latest Adobe Reader and rebooted. Let's see if that does something..... Stay tuned......

Update #2
    Now on song 3. Looking better than earlier...

Update #3
    Now on song 9. I think adobe is the prob. I'll re-install, reboot and test...
    Last edited by twack; 04/08/2012 at 09:20 PM.
    TWack

vendetta06 likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast