Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    hello everyone

just picked up a touchpad tonight. 32g with a case, wireless keyboard and wireless charger for $200. Everything was brand new still sealed. Still playing with my new toy, looking forward to making upgrades and learning more on the site here :-)

matt
    You probably have found it already, but if you haven't, here is the best place to start. Once you get Preware installed, there are so many things that you can do.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html
    excellent deal !!!
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
    Welcome to the club! and you did get a pretty good deal!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Welcome to webOS Nation forums and to webOS!

Just ask if you ever feel like this - just ask! We're here to help

sledge007 likes this.
    Brilliant score.. well below Aug 2011 Firesale Prices even!!

Good news!

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Great tell us your secret how you got it! awesome deal I am assuming from some HP/Palm employees
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    No real secret, just searching on Craigslist. Found someone looking to get rid of one. They had it listed for $250, when Imet them and was looking at it, pulled out $200 and offered, and the took it. Even at the $250 it seemed like a pretty good deal. You can get them new for $260 w/o any accessories on newegg. And there were plenty of lightly used ones on CL in the $200-230 range. All comes down to luck

I ordered a screen protector and a better case for it last night. I saw the get started guide too. I need to run through that, and then am going to put android on it for dual boot. But for right now, it's a great little toy. It will be a little while before I get everything upgraded.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Good deal! Welcome aboard!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    We're glad to have you here - you will learn a lot of things that the Touchpad (and WebOS) can do from these pages. As was stated before, Preware is a great tool to use, along with App Tuckerbox.

Make sure you read the Welcome to WebOS thread - let us know if you can't find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by orange57 View Post
    No real secret, just searching on Craigslist. Found someone looking to get rid of one. They had it listed for $250, when Imet them and was looking at it, pulled out $200 and offered, and the took it. Even at the $250 it seemed like a pretty good deal. You can get them new for $260 w/o any accessories on newegg. And there were plenty of lightly used ones on CL in the $200-230 range. All comes down to luck

I ordered a screen protector and a better case for it last night. I saw the get started guide too. I need to run through that, and then am going to put android on it for dual boot. But for right now, it's a great little toy. It will be a little while before I get everything upgraded.
    Well, hope you enjoy your newly purchased TouchPad that you got for $200(awesome great deal). The device is great for its limited daily uses specially despite its tiny selection of apps, but the multitasking feature is its best asset out of the whole platform. Best wishes to ya with your brand new toy....

Not to buzz-killer with your new TouchPad which is a joy to use, but let's hope that the toy honeymoon(you're describing) doesn't meet an abrupt end. When the firesale was still active around august of last year, I was completely happy with the TouchPad even carried it during my trips to check emails and browse web. However, things changed when things started slowing down(HP cancelling everything) and few signs of decent upgrades made me change my mind towards my HP TouchPad. With an outdated WebOS that lacks primary features than the competition, it makes the use of HP tablet less fun to use.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    I just have to add my 2 cents. You did get an excellent deal, and despite the fact that webOS doesn't have any guaranteed great updates, there's a lot it can already do. It's like the time before software updates, when people bought something for what it does and not what it will do after an update. 3.0.5 is great, I've been using it since the fire sale and I think it works great; while I probably will load android on it eventually, webOS is definitely functional enough for me to wait until android is stable. Not to mention the hope of the acl from OpenMobile...
    - techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    To those who feel the rose is off the bloom for your TouchPad and webOS give CM9 Alpha 2, or one of it's nightlies, a shot before abandoning the TouchPad. Currently the only major issues with CM9 on the TouchPad are the non-functioning camera and microphone.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    I would advise you to watch videos on youtube and learn how to use all its features. Also see customer reviews so that you know what problems people are having with this gadget.
    I am new to the touchpad as well..just got the 32 gig. LIking it so far but wondering if there are other places to get apps. I already have an acer with google os..so I am wondering if I should download the google is to this system as well. ANy advice?
    Lurker here, but I've had my TP (32g) for a while and LOVE it. Read through the 'how-to' threads as you have time - they are really helpful. Thanks to those who put them together!

@noseph... the wifi in CM9 is pretty wonky right now too.
    There are three main ways to get Apps - the easiest way is with the App Catalog that comes on your Touchpad.

The second way is to load Preware onto your Touchpad (using WebOS Quickinstall). This gives you a great selection of Homebrew products, plus you can add App Tuckerbox and get the App Catalog feed, too.

The third way is to use WebOS Quickinstall - this method requires a computer and a USB cable.

I'm not sure Filecoaster would work or not - does anyone else use Filecoaster for your Touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    To those who feel the rose is off the bloom for your TouchPad and webOS give CM9 Alpha 2, or one of it's nightlies, a shot before abandoning the TouchPad. Currently the only major issues with CM9 on the TouchPad are the non-functioning camera and microphone.
    Well, sorry to disagree with you there by installing the CM9 on your TouchPad. In my opinion, there shouldn't be any reason that for a device that suppose to be functional tablet -- users have to install android because if that was the reason I could have gotten a galaxy tab with android already install. And another thing, why install something that users complain about even bricking their TouchPad or certain functions of the tablet not working and even causing interface with the WiFi signals.

For me I think that the stupid people running HP, should come with an entirely new WebOS 4.0 with new functions like voice functionality, new multitasking features and fix the software lags. That could certainly cause people to pull their TouchPads out of their hiding places collecting dust and once again start using them as tablets.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tolos View Post
    @noseph... the wifi in CM9 is pretty wonky right now too.

My wifi issues pretty much went away once I set my router to not use channel 11. The TouchPad does not like channel 11 at all. If your router is set to auto you should change it to a specific channel. You can use Wifi Analyzer to help select a channel for your location.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47