Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know if it's possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFabulous View Post
    Anyone know if it's possible?
    Rather than subject your TP to surgery (opening it up, pulling out, and replacing the storage chips, and surely losing your warranty coverage as a result), I'd recommend you just sell your 16GB and buy a 32GB - there are plenty still available on eBay. Besides, there may be firmware changes that need to be done as well for it to recognize the new storage.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. If they were still around for $150 maybe. But I'm not paying a $100-$150 premium to some schmuck looking to make a quick buck off of TPs he hoarded during the firesale.
    It's possible. You would need a working 32 gb touchpad, extract any tokens needed, then take it apart and put the hard drive in it.
    Yeah, that's not going to happen.
    Well in that case, nor is your 'Upgrade'!!

Recent 64Gb TP 4 sale here @ $250 + shipping - 2 x 32Gb @ $150 = $300 - Get real!

I agree with marcedhk. Why subject your 16GB TP to possible destruction, when you could purchase a 32GB? Best Buy is still showing 32GB refurbs on their website (at the time of this post, they were $239.99).

I understand your point about the profit-taking on firesale TP's. I feel the same way, but why risk what you have already paid for your 16GB? Keep looking. They turn up every once in a while, and you might just find one at the right price.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by UbuntuIsGreat View Post
    I agree with marcedhk. Why subject your 16GB TP to possible destruction, when you could purchase a 32GB? Best Buy is still showing 32GB refurbs on their website (at the time of this post, they were $239.99).

I understand your point about the profit-taking on firesale TP's. I feel the same way, but why risk what you have already paid for your 16GB? Keep looking. They turn up every once in a while, and you might just find one at the right price.
    Well yeah, I just won't do it, I'll stick with what I have. It's no biggie, I was just wondering. I'm not going to go from a brand new, full warrantied TP to a refurb, someone's used cast-off, or a rip-off artist's. I'll just stay with the 16 GB.
    johnjaycee likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    It's possible. You would need a working 32 gb touchpad, extract any tokens needed, then take it apart and put the hard drive in it.
    I just love it when people talk or write things like they know what they are talking about but really don't
    There is no hard drive in the TP. There is flash memory built into the main board.
    There are only two ways to get your 16GB TP upgraded to 32GB:
    1). buy a 32GB Touchpad and sell the 16GB Touchpad
    2). Swap the main board out of the 16GB TP with a main board from a 32 GB TP.

I repair Touchpads and sell Touchpad parts, as a part time side business, so if you are daring enough to do it yourself, I will sell you a 32 GB main board for $79.99

I also can do the work for you but once you add my labor in, you're cost is just shy of what you'll pay on the low end of an eBay auction for a 32GB TP..

P.S. If you do the work yourself, I advise you also buy some of the clips that fasten the LCD/digitizer into the case because you'll likely break a few while opening your TP up. These are hard to come by so I won't sell them to you, but will replace any broken ones free on TP's I repair for customers.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    You are right I have never done and thank you for clearing up the process. I'm sorry for suplying false info.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

P.S. If you do the work yourself, I advise you also buy some of the clips that fasten the LCD/digitizer into the case because you'll likely break a few while opening your TP up. These are hard to come by so I won't sell them to you, but will replace any broken ones free on TP's I repair for customers.

TTB

Yes, right!
    I reckon there will come the time when up to 1 million Touchpads all start requiring new battery units all within a year or so of each other?
    Can we source these retaining clips/get them manufactured in preparation for this potentially massive demand? Or does HP have secret supplies?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes, right!
    I reckon there will come the time when up to 1 million Touchpads all start requiring new battery units all within a year or so of each other?
    Can we source these retaining clips/get them manufactured in preparation for this potentially massive demand? Or does HP have secret supplies?!

I think Super Glue is going to have a banner year when that time comes!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I think Super Glue is going to have a banner year when that time comes!
    Yikes.. Haha! Are you you talking superglueing the damaged retaining clips to 'repair' them.. or superglueing the TP back into it's case?!!!
    Must be a box of thousands of clips sitting around somewhere in Mexico/Hungary/China!
    I think by the time the batteries start dying out, technology will have advanced, and prices will have dropped enough, that people will be looking at other options......after 9 months of daily use, my battery's down to 94%.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2Ę about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    newb here

This person got a 32GB TouchPad, BT Keyboard, Touchstone, BNIB and still sealed, for $200. Keep looking.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2Ę about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for all the info. Guess I'll be sticking with my 16er for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I think by the time the batteries start dying out, technology will have advanced, and prices will have dropped enough, that people will be looking at other options......after 9 months of daily use, my battery's down to 94%.
    Oh.. you mean the life of the TP is to be conveniently limited to the extent of it's battery life?
    Li-ions tend to die quickly and suddenly after x amount of full cycles.
    Mine only down to 94% after 8 months too.
    But I dont wish to then bin my TP for the sake of a few extinct clips!

For the sake of argument, you can call my 9 months (~270 days) ~540 charges, as I charge mine twice a day. Once overnight on a Touchstone, and once on a wall charger when I get home from work.
    Well yeah, I just won't do it, I'll stick with what I have. It's no biggie, I was just wondering. I'm not going to go from a brand new, full warrantied TP to a refurb, someone's used cast-off, or a rip-off artist's. I'll just stay with the 16 GB.
    I guess refurbs are always a bit of a risk but I've had good luck with them overall. And warranty is a considertaion but I think a "full" warranty firesale unit is good for 1 year so about another 5 months vs the 3 months I've see for refurbs lately so only a couple months difference.
    TopTongueBarry, It's good to know that you fix TP's, in case something goes wrong in the future.

I have a question that I'm not sure you can answer. I have seen TP's on eBay listed as "For parts or not working". Most of them say "will not power on". I've seen them go for around $100. What do you think? Is it too much of a risk to buy one of these? I know that a lot of people have had issues charging and it was simply the cord, or they didn't know how to reset it. I'm wondering what your experience is with TP's that would not power on. In your experience, is it typically something simple (like a reset, or a charge)?

P.S. I didn't want to start a new thread, just for a question like this. Hope no-one minds.
    Reckon that's a good point.. when one looks at how very many posters here who believe have 'bricked' their TP, until they are told of the two button reset option.. and "Presto".. suddenly their unit is 'alive' again!

If a minority of TP owners are on this site.. that leaves a majority in the potential above situation.. yes!

Worth the punt, I'd say!

TTB--- ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast