webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Any idea on max charge cycles / battery life expectancy for TouchPad?
Any idea on max charge cycles / battery life expectancy for TouchPad?
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By johncc
  • 1 Post By ArchonAdvisors
  • 1 Post By woosh#WN
  • 3 Post By geeksquadkid

Old 04/02/2012, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hate to sound like a "glass-half-empty" type, but as we're passing the three-quarters mark of the first year of the rocky life of the TouchPad, I have to begin thinking about the max number of charge cycles the TouchPad battery can support before it gives up. Any engineering-types have insights?
joe_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2012, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It wouldn't just stop working it would slowly start to lose capacity.
geeksquadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2012, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
Art imitates (my) life.
There hasn't been many posts about batteries going. I can't think of one, actually. So, 3/4 into the year, things look good.
Old 04/02/2012, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Dr Battery (Homebrew) is available for the Touchpad now, and can give you an indication of your battery's health. Mine indicates 94% of new capacity.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by joe.s, kataran and woosh like this.
Old 04/02/2012, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

As a tip to help prolong your battery, try and not to let it sit on the charger all the time at full charge. Also, if you plan to store it away for a long time, run the battery down to 40% first and put the TP in a cool place.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by woosh likes this.
Old 04/03/2012, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
As a tip to help prolong your battery, try and not to let it sit on the charger all the time at full charge. Also, if you plan to store it away for a long time, run the battery down to 40% first and put the TP in a cool place.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
That's a big site with a ton of useful information. On the page you linked to, he mentions wireless chargers,(touchstone), he mentions 20-30% loss of energy through heat and that wireless charging stresses a battery. I didn't know that.
Old 04/03/2012, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I would however, like to point out that I (according to Dr. Battery) have lost 0 percent in battery capacity from when I first bought my touchpad (still at 94 pct health) and my touchpad tends to live on my touchstone except for the days I bring it to school and when Im using it at home.

Enjoy your device, the more you stress about it losing capacity the less you enjoy it. True you could store it at 40pct and the correct temperature and the battery would last longer but you could never use it.

Dont Panic!

Remember!!
*In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

geeksquadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by joe.s, kataran and ildanach like this.
Old 04/03/2012, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bought mine 15 July 2011. Currently my 6612 mAh battery is at 91% with 6017 mAh left. I use mine relatively heavy, it comes with me daily to work(freeTether all day that I'm not at home), and I usually wind the battery down to next to nothing daily. I tend to throw it on a wall charger when I get home, so that it charges faster for evening use, and it's on a Touchstone all night until morning. I'm not too worried about battery life at this time.
Old 04/03/2012, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Chances are good your battery will outlast the usefulness of your Touchpad. There are teardown instructions available if you can find a replacement battery to stash away. Even when they start losing capacity, it usually just means you have to charge them more often. I have some very old phones with Lithium Ion batteries that still power on and hold a charge.

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2012, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Heavy daily use since mid November has left me with 93% .
imurrx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2012, 09:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

yeah I use a Touchstone 99 percent of the time.....I don't worry about it
Old 06/04/2012, 03:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

I read 1,000 charge/discharge cycles somewhere.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2012, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post

My 11 month old battery just died, battery symbol with Question Mark ... google that, they are rolling over and dying
epetru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2012, 12:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

My TouchPad is on its Touchstone when it's not in my hands and after almost 14 months the battery health is still 93% (was at 94% brand new), so much for the theory that Touchstones are bad for the battery.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2012, 12:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

I don't remember what my battery capacity was out of the box, but it's at 94% right now (was lower before I Doctored, so don't know what's up with that). The total capacity displayed by Dr. Battery is actually higher than what's rated on the label, and even at 94% the current rating is higher than on the label.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2012, 09:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

After 15 months of use, using the charging stand every other day, my Touchpad is at 93%. It did experience a freaky battery drain last night and wouldn't start this morning, but it came back to life with the power & home button trick. Aside from that I get two days of moderate use on a full charge.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0