Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob-C
  1.    #1  
    From an interview on MSNBC....

"WebOS has an amazing interface. It is much more elegant than the competition and I am not limiting that to just Android. I really did not mind the Touchpad's lagginess. I thought it was a minor trade off compared to the user friendliness of the interface. There is a segment of people, a sizable one, who get that as evidenced by how it sold after price reductions. It just demonstrates that our biggest mistake was not being aggressive enough with pricing at launch. Part of that is we underestimated how far the iPad 2 would jump ahead of us. When Steve got up on stage and showed how thin, how much lighter it was than our product... Our whole team gave a collective GULP! We threw around the idea of revisiting the price prior to launch but the wheels were already in motion. It would have been challenging to be sure. Ultimately we all answer to someone and it was decided that changing the plan this late in the game would undermine our partner's confidence in us."

Want to guess who he was referring to in that last part?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post

"WebOS has an amazing interface. It is much more elegant than the competition and I am not limiting that to just Android. I really did not mind the Touchpad's lagginess. I thought it was a minor trade off compared to the user friendliness of the interface. There is a segment of people, a sizable one, who get that as evidenced by how it sold after price reductions. It just demonstrates that our biggest mistake was not being aggressive enough with pricing at launch. Part of that is we underestimated how far the iPad 2 would jump ahead of us. When Steve got up on stage and showed how thin, how much lighter it was than our product... Our whole team gave a collective GULP! We threw around the idea of revisiting the price prior to launch but the wheels were already in motion. It would have been challenging to be sure. Ultimately we all answer to someone and it was decided that changing the plan this late in the game would undermine our partner's confidence in us."

Wait this is April fools right? Ha, who am I kidding.
    Oh Ruby... didn't mind if Touchpad was laggy? 3.01 was a disaster. Every reviewer out there slammed it for being so laggy and buggy and essentially wrote off Touchpad from the start. As for the pricepoint, I think it's similar to when people sell homes (which I'm trying to do right now). Sellers can look at all the price data in front of them (like the avg sale price of homes sold in the area the last 6 mo), but then decide to ignore all of that together b/c they want more or b/c they have an attachment to the house which prevents them from pricing it low enough to sell. Touchpad, pricing it at $500, same as ipad2 and the ridiculously high price of the accessories (case, touchstone) didn't help... but well, these are all things we've discussed gazillions of times here already
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post

Wow...really interesting to hear his opinion on this - I guess that's what can happen when you're inside the developer's bubble. Had they been focused more on the market they would know that the "lagginess" couldn't not be a big deal,as for many people that tried earlier Android phones and then opted to go over to the iPhone one of the popular reasons given was the lag in response time they experienced on the Android phones as compared to the iPhone. And the original iPad did not suffer from the lag issues, so it's not like the iPad 2 was a big improvement in that respect.

In any case, I don't think it was the performance issues or the price that doomed the TP, although those were contributing factors. In my estimation the deciding factor was the lack of apps. Were that not the case the price reductions before the firesale would have spurred sales more - I think the market would have been receptive to a device that could do just about everything an iPad could but slower and a little bulkier that cost $100 or so less, especially with a promise that the performance would improve over time. But with the App Gap being what it was, it seemed more sensible to just spend the extra $100 and get an iPad.
    Link to the actual article?
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Link to the actual article?
    hmm...how come I cant find mention of this interview anywhere but here? And wouldn't this kind of interview be more in CNBC's field than MSNBC's? I'm getting suspicious too...
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I can't seem to find the article either... link please?

Aside from that, though, I personally think that the biggest problems were not only the lagginess of the software, but also the lackluster hardware. I'm personally not a fan of the thick, plastic design of the TP. It lacks a back camera, feels quite thick in the hands (no jokes, please), and the plasticky design really bothers me as it feels very fragile. I've babied mine, and I already have cracks on the speaker. IMO the software is up to par now with 3.0.5, but the hardware really needs an overhaul. Not to mention, the app selection could've been improved, I think that was another deterrent that affected the sales.
    Lesson of the day: stay off the internet today if you are gullible :-)

Sent from my White Touchpad with Communities
  8.    #8  
    APRIL FOOL'S DAY!!!!!

Didn't think anyone would believe the part about the Touchpad being laggy!!!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    W00sh likes this.
    EVERYONE cares about a second of lag! They want their fix NOW, not 500 ms from NOW. I WANT IT NOW. NOW. NOW. webOS LAGS. ITS THE WORST. IT MUST HAVE NO THINKING BEHIND IT. OBVIOUSLY.
    go get a treo if you dont want lag
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    I don't mind
    I care about serious lag, but I don't care about a minor lag like the Touchpad sometimes has.
    Ha! I've seen iPad lag (2 and 3), I've seen iPhone lag, I've seen PlayBook lag (lots). And yes, I've even seen my beloved MacBook air lag. It happens to all sorts of computers, even the so-called "best". It's because every one of them has finite capabilities.

Hmm. I really don't mind the TouchPad lag. Because with a TouchPad, I am free to use it however I see fit. That is right and proper, because I own it. So there.