1.    #1  
    First post, and kind of Touchpad n00b, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

I have my Touchpad and my phone (Samsung sch-u460) connected via bluetooth. What I'd like to do is use my phone line to connect to an ISP, such as FreeDialup.org - Free Dialup Internet - Surf Free or Die from the hearts of New Hampshire...

Already I know this will
    -use minutes
    -be slow. probably not close to 56k.
    -need some kind of app or something, as it doesn't seem as the TP natively supports PPP.

Thank you for any advice.
    For this to work, you'd either need an app on your Samsung phone that will allow it to function as a dial-up modem, exchanging network packets with the ISP over the voice line with audio signals, or an app on the TP that can convert the audio coming over bluetooth into network data packets and make them communicate with the network stack. So I think it might be possible, but you'd have to get someone to write the software for either the TP or phone if it's not already out there.

There's also the issue of signal quality to consider. Cell phone connections aren't always of the highest quality, and a bad connection being used in this way might be dead slow or unable to transmit data reliably.

Lastly - does your TP actually allow you to talk and listen with your particular phone over bluetooth? I tried it with my phone and it doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's just that it only works with certain phones or if it's just plain not supported.

It would be an actually cool thing to have if you could get it to work though. It would probably suck for web browsing, but for text-only emailing on the go it would be pretty cool I think..
    Last edited by marcedhk; 03/29/2012 at 05:59 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    or an app on the TP that can convert the audio coming over bluetooth into network data packets and make them communicate with the network stack.
    That's what I'm looking to do. There's not much I can do from the phone end of the equation.

There's also the issue of signal quality to consider. Cell phone connections aren't always of the highest quality, and a bad connection being used in this way might be dead slow or unable to transmit data reliably.
    Yeah, I'm sure it won't connect at 50K. I'd be happy with anything at 14.4K or better. Even that should be enough for basic access.

Lastly - does your TP actually allow you to talk and listen with your particular phone over bluetooth? I tried it with my phone and it doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's just that it only works with certain phones or if it's just plain not supported.
    Yes, it works perfectly. I can make and receive calls.

It would be an actually cool thing to have if you could get it to work though. It would probably suck for web browsing, but for text-only emailing on the go it would be pretty cool I think..
    Yeah, I'm not expecting to go on YouTube or anything. Email and maybe the ability to do a simple Google search now and then would be nice.
    I accomplish this by using my phone as a wi-fi hotspot and connect my TP with bedrock's ad-hoc tethering app. It works great and I get 3G speeds (I have an old Nokia E71 for a phone).