Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennBeck View Post
    WebOS lacks apps that i need to use a lot. If webOS had the same apps as iOS or Android I would have never switched. But i need apps for work and WebOS does not have them unfortunately.
    OK. At first you made it sound like you switced because no webOS phone on sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennBeck View Post
    Don't know, I am on Sprint and the WebOS dream died prematurely for me!
    On phone the card on bottom exposed at least a third. On touchpad about one tenth. Phone much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Not true at all.

https://github.com/ericblade/mmAdView

Also, I've noticed that some of the ad networks from other apps have started lighting up again recently, like the weather app..
    Thx!

Is this seeing much use among webOS devs? I thought that w/o official network support and SDK there wasnt much that could be done - at least, thats what several posts and some wailing and mourning following AdMob's pull out suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    running ICS alpha 2 on a 64GB TP. I've got one word for Android, clunky. I don't see why developers don't write for webOS, there's a lot of free apps in Android, with advertising! Why couldn't the same developers write those same apps with ads for webOS? Can someone explain that to me?

its so hard to get around Android, no smooth way to get around at all. Yeah, a plethora of apps, but webOS has spoiled me because it makes so much more sense to multitask and smoothly open and close apps.

In my opinion, Android has along way to go before it ever behaves like webOS. It really sucks. Can't wait to see what can be done with Open webOS.
    If you are writing it for free, you are likely a hobbyist scratching an itch. Hobbyists will write for the platform they own. Most of these folks simply don't own touchpads. It's nothing personal. Perhaps contact them and ask if you can port it for them?
    : (){:|:&};:
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    If you are writing it for free, you are likely a hobbyist scratching an itch. Hobbyists will write for the platform they own. Most of these folks simply don't own touchpads. It's nothing personal. Perhaps contact them and ask if you can port it for them?
    Yeah, port in Pulse News, Netflix, Amazon music and regular app. Pandora, Angry birds Rio, Seasons, and Space, Fandango, Dolphin Browser HD, Redbox, Alarm Clock Extreme, Adobe Photoshop Express, and see if Amazon will let you port over the updated Kindle app. They're all free and must be just because of a hobbyist itch, so they won't mind giving up the coding.

Just kidding but most free apps on Android that are done by hobbyists aren't worth the effort to port.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Thx!

Is this seeing much use among webOS devs? I thought that w/o official network support and SDK there wasnt much that could be done - at least, thats what several posts and some wailing and mourning following AdMob's pull out suggested.
    I don't know, it's only a week or two old now. *shrug*
    The ad network lists webOS as a supported system, they just didn't have any code that they were offering to put it in, just a page describing the process. So, I remedied that.

Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    Yeah, port in Pulse News, Netflix, Amazon music and regular app. Pandora, Angry birds Rio, Seasons, and Space, Fandango, Dolphin Browser HD, Redbox, Alarm Clock Extreme, Adobe Photoshop Express, and see if Amazon will let you port over the updated Kindle app. They're all free and must be just because of a hobbyist itch, so they won't mind giving up the coding.

Just kidding but most free apps on Android that are done by hobbyists aren't worth the effort to port.
    You could cut out most of that, and trim ti down to "apps on Android .. aren't worth the effort". Android tablet apps pretty much, all completely suck.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Yet developers continue to develop on Android
    Compare them to the iPad version of them. The vast majority of the apps on Android are just re-sized phone apps, many of which don't perform nearly the functionality and usability of their iPad counterparts.

The iPad Wins Because Android Tablet Apps Suck: An Illustrated Guide | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Since I can't figure out how to take screenshots on Android, let me just link to the slideshow available in the article above...

Why Android Tablet Apps Suck and the iPad Wins: An Illustrated Guide - CBS News for Android Tablets - Slideshow from PCMag.com

Only a handful of games directly translate well, the Words with Friends app is completely broken on Android tablets, or has been every time I've looked at it (usually broken in different ways with each of the rapid fire updates that came out a month or so ago) .. and although the Netflix app appears to be virtually identical on both, one comes to the realization that if you have more than a handful of things in your queue, it really is a terrible interface on both devices.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I love the multi-tasking card system but every time I use the browser I'm back to ICS within 15 minutes. And to be honest, after installing webcm9, I basically have my card system back in ICS. So webOS is really of no value to me anymore.
    Last edited by Ohmytvc15; 04/14/2012 at 09:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    ...to be honest, after installing webcm9, I basically have my card system back in ICS. So webOS is really of no value to me anymore.
    This bit of honesty is well appreciated; if only others were as candid as you.

I think more of this will help drive home the point that many have been making about the dangers of facilitating such moves. Whether its ACL on webOS hardware or Enyo apps for other platforms, the likely result would be the best of webOS being adopted by others, at webOS' expense. They dont 'help' the embattled platform, as the deluded seem to think. They only further showcase and drive the dominant platforms.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    I love the multi-tasking card system but every time I use the browser I'm back to ICS within 15 minutes. And to be honest, after installing webcm9, I basically have my card system back in ICS. So webOS is really of no value to me anymore.
    AGREED! The ICS web broswer brings me back 100% of the time. Lets face it people, the webOS broswer on the TP is too limited.
    I keep running into people saying that, but I haven't really found anything that works in Android that doesn't in webOS. And the extreme disconnection in Android between sound and video in Flash makes that side of it particularly useless.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by ebonie30000 View Post
    AGREED! The ICS web broswer brings me back 100% of the time. Lets face it people, the webOS broswer on the TP is too limited.
    Personally I think the text rendering of Dolphin HD is horrible. I was using it yesterday, and I'd have to sit and wait while the blurry text would take it's time to "appear out of the fog". I ended up switching back to webOS and didn't have any issues reading text, no matter how quickly I was scrolling through the page.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    bruteforce037 likes this.
    My biggest disappointment w/ the webOS browser is text re-flow. That, however, does not constitute reason to install Google's spyware on my TP. In fact, the mere suggestion from its main user was recently met w/ threats of me reclaiming it. IMO, the claims of this or that being 'better' on Android are exaggerations by the easily won, who, for the most part, are too happy to parrot what they hear.

perfect case:
    A client of mine knocked the TP but couldn't explain exactly why she found fault w/ it. About five minutes later the app count came into question (lol... she wasn't aware of the difference being in her favor) but as I pointed out the webOS availability of each app that she used on a daily basis, she became less vocal. Going for the kill, I rubbed it in w/ demonstrations of Touch to Share and texting on the TP, at which point she forgot all about Android and started comparing the 'heavy' TP to numero uno... her next tablet purchase.

Nothing exemplified weakness and ignorance more than the way in which she went from defending Android to dumping it for the new iPad, and this is the problem we're dealing w/ today. The uninformed and easily duped, easily the majority in the room, are drowning out the few reasonable voices there are - Android, webOS or other. It reminds me of the classic ATI vs nVidia GPU driver issue. In some circles, the same old spiel is still regurgitated each time the words AMD or Radeon are uttered - even though AMD have come a long way in addressing their performance issues. I guess some things (or habits) wont die.

For the record, this is not an anti-Android thing (although it is pro-webOS). I follow a few users on Android Central and elsewhere who are smart enough to keep things in perspective and know how to see the bigger picture.
    JustType is a cool stuff, too.
    To be fair -- my AMD drivers still crash out on me regularly, and the performance of a similar generation AMD GPU built into my motherboard compared to my add-on Nvidia are like night and day.
    I only even have it enabled because I find it quite nice to have 3 monitors instead of 2.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Maybe its my 'luck' then. My only AMD issues go back to the All-In-Wonder boards that I insisted on getting in order to have the best of both worlds. Gaming on those was a major headache. Since then, every 2 generation or so have served me well, right up to the 6950 (unlocked BIOS). Lots of work have gone into the later 11.x and 12.x drivers. They're almost there, feature wise (app profiles, etc). That said, I have my eyes on a 680 but may just wait it out and see what the HD 8000 series have to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    My biggest disappointment w/ the webOS browser is text re-flow. That, however, does not constitute reason to install Google's spyware on my TP. In fact, the mere suggestion from its main user was recently met w/ threats of me reclaiming it. IMO, the claims of this or that being 'better' on Android are exaggerations by the easily won, who, for the most part, are too happy to parrot what they hear.

perfect case:
    A client of mine knocked the TP but couldn't explain exactly why she found fault w/ it. About five minutes later the app count came into question (lol... she wasn't aware of the difference being in her favor) but as I pointed out the webOS availability of each app that she used on a daily basis, she became less vocal. Going for the kill, I rubbed it in w/ demonstrations of Touch to Share and texting on the TP, at which point she forgot all about Android and started comparing the 'heavy' TP to numero uno... her next tablet purchase.
    While very nice way to showcase the HP Touchpad with the things that the device does best like Touch-To-Share among other things. But I hope that you didn't neglect to mention that those features aren't easily accessible due to lack of hardware that is capable of handling Touch-To-Share. While nice as a way to show-off the TouchPad capabilities it doesn't utterly impress many people(including me), cause the reality of using Touch-To-Share are very limited in the real world usage.

And the usability of connecting your phone with the TouchPad, Awesome thing but it tends to not impress much after awhile. Nice and maybe convenient in some cases, but telling the truth is not the biggest selling point of a device like the TouchPad.

Quote Originally Posted by mk_cn View Post
    JustType is a cool stuff, too.
    Well, to be honest about the whole thing of "JustType" feature which is kinda impressive when it was introduced on the newer WebOS versions. While it might be nice, to type and it searches things on the net, your contacts list and your entire device on itself. Its very cool for certain things, but presently in "2012" it feel too old school for the technologies that other companies are adding to their devices.

Today, that little nice OS added functionality does seem to cause much of an impression to most users....Mostly since other Mobile OS's have added voice search functionality(into their devices e.g. Google "Android" or Apple's "iOS") which makes devices seem like a thing of the future. Wishing that HP could be smarter some-way to add this functionality to WebOS "JustType" having the choice to use the keyboard or your voice to search stuff on your device. Now that is way much COOLER, than just typing words into the search box.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    While being able use voice commands is cooler, it is also makes me feel silly. So just type is still great to me.
    trgrant likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    While being able use voice commands is cooler, it is also makes me feel silly. So just type is still great to me.
    I don't know about cooler either. I'd rather have a bit of privacy in my phone activities.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast