Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I found another thread that said use optware but I got preware and in the preware optware section I can't find a torrent client. So how do I get a torrent client through Optware? Is there any other relatively simple way to get a client on Webos?
    I haven't looked into this at all, but found another thread which may/may not have what you're looking for.

edit lol I meant to put the link in, but TF has it covered
    Last edited by sledge007; 03/26/2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Here's what I found in optware, not familiar with all of those packages, but I use transmission on my Ubuntu laptop.

Running "ipkg-opt list", I see available optware packages, including:

aria2 - 1.12.1-1 - A utility for downloading files. The supported protocols are HTTP(S), FTP, BitTorrent (DHT, PEX, MSE/PE), and Metalink.
    btpd - 0.16-1 - BTPD is a bittorrent client consisting of a daemon and a cli client, which can be used to read and/or manipulate the daemon sta
    ctcs - 1.4.1-10 - CTorrent Control Server (CTCS) is an interface for monitoring and managing Enhanced CTorrent clients
    ctorrent - 1.3.4-2 - CTorrent is a BitTorrent client written in the C programming language.
    enhanced-ctorrent - dnh3.3.2-11 - Enhanced CTorrent is a revised version of CTorrent
    libbt - 1.05-5 - a C library implementing the core BitTorrent protocol
    libtorrent - 0.12.6-1 - libtorrent is a BitTorrent library with a focus on high performance and good code.
    py-bittorrent-common - 5.0.9-2 - BitTorrent is a scatter-gather network file transfer tool.
    py25-bittorrent - 5.0.9-2 - BitTorrent is a scatter-gather network file transfer tool.
    py26-bittorrent - 5.0.9-2 - BitTorrent is a scatter-gather network file transfer tool.
    rtorrent - 0.8.6-1 - rtorrent is a BitTorrent client for ncurses, using the libtorrent library.
    torrent - 1.4-7 - a collection of scripts that processes torrent files
    torrentflux - 2.4-5 - TorrentFlux is an web-based system for managing bit torrent file transfers.
    transmission - 2.42-1 - Lightweight BitTorrent client and daemon, with web interface bundled.
    transmissiond - 1.42-1 - lightweight BitTorrent daemon with CGI WWW interface
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I've found installing a ubuntu chroot is the best way to do it, from there it's just "apt-get install transmission" and then you can set your internal folder as the d/l directory.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
  5.    #5  
    how do I run ipkg-opt?
    I ran it from xecutah/xterm. But be warned, although I haven't installed this, I don't think it's going to be a nice GUI friendly app. If you aren't comfortable with a CLI based app, this might not be the route for you. FYI, the version numbers above were off as I forgot to run an update, but the app is there.
  7.    #7  
    I can't get xecutah to show xserver in the list of programs to run. When i run Xterm i can't get a keyboard. Does anyone know why that's happening? I've already uninstalled and reinstalled xecutah and xserver doesn't show up in the list of programs xecutah can launch.
    I believe you need the Tweaks app from Preware, in order to get the keyboard to show up.

Keyboard in Xecutah

Once you install Tweaks, the option to resize the keyboard should be there.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    So I installed transmission and it does have a GUI, kinda sorta, can bring it up in the web browser, but didn't really work right as I couldn't browse to my torrent file or paste it to a text input box, Looks like I could add it via the transmission-remote command, but again no cut/paste in the CLI, at least not that I can find. And the name of the torrent file is a big long mother which I really have no desire to type. So I put the command in a file and ran it. The torrent was uccessfully added the and started to download, I could see it in the browser. So it does work, just kind of a PITA to use. Maybe there is an easier way, please advise if somebody finds one.

Summary of what I did from xterm, hopefully remembering correctly. Well the last command was put into a text file, chmod to 755 and run. I added the man page reader package so I could read the transmission man pages. Oh, and goes without saying I first installed preware optware bootstrap and optware advanced linux command line installer.

ipkg-opt update
    ipkg-opt install transmission
    ipkg-opt install man
    transmission-daemon
    transmission-remote -a http://some.website.com/sometorrent.torrent

Then I could see the file downloading in the GUI (http://127.0.0.1:9091) Too bad neither the file browser or paste works in the browser or could easily add a torrent from there. Again, if anyone figures out how to make that work, I'd love to hear.
  10.    #10  
    I type in transmission daemon and nothing happens.
    Isn't it more sensible to run your torrent client on your PC, and use your mobile web browser as remote control? uTorrent remote does it...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Isn't it more sensible to run your torrent client on your PC, and use your mobile web browser as remote control? uTorrent remote does it...
    Interesting. Idno really. Right now i'm going through my why haven't i just installed CM on my touchpad already phase. I'm trying to make the touchpad a cload device because i only have the 16GB TP. Next i'm going to try and get hulu working. I looked for Utorrent remote and i couldn't find it in the app store.
    There's actually 2 of them that I can recall in there. Utorrent is now called TorrentTouch Pro HD, and there is Torrent Remote. And looks like there's another one: kTorrentTouch. (just open the catalog, hit search, type torrent and you'll find them.)

I've used both of the first two, and they work fine.

Regardless if you're trying to make your TouchPad a cloud device or not, you still have to physically get the movie on to your TouchPad to watch it, unless you use something like SplashTop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike941 View Post
    I type in transmission daemon and nothing happens.
    If you ran transmission-daemon, it should have run the daemon. Nothing obvious will happen from xterm, but did you try bringing up the GUI in your web browser? (http://127.0.0.1:9091).

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Regardless if you're trying to make your TouchPad a cloud device or not, you still have to physically get the movie on to your TouchPad to watch it, unless you use something like SplashTop.
    Can download files to a PC and transfer them to the touchpad to watch via USB or software for wireless transfer such as TB Transfer.

I was just trying to answer the question how to run a torrent client on webos, not saying it's the only, or best, way to go.
    I looked for Utorrent remote and i couldn't find it in the app store.
    uTorrent remote is not an app, it's an amazing web site from which you can control the uTorrent client in your PC. You just browse "http://remote.utorrent.com" from anywhere you like, provided that you have configured your uTorrent client to accept remote connections. That configuration is merely activating it, and setting a user name and password, which you give to the web site.

Running a torrent client sure uses a lot of electricity - It basically makes your internet connection red hot!
  16.    #16  
    Whenever I try to download a torrent WebOS says there's a mimetype error.
    Whenever I try to download a torrent WebOS says there's a mimetype error.
    Yup, same thing happened to me and I have no idea how to fix it. The only was I was able to start a torrent download was with an xterm command like "transmission-remote -a http://some.website.com/sometorrent.torrent". Hopefully someone here knows if/how to fix it, I don't.
    So on a small gamble, I loaded TorrentTouchProHD and am able to control the touchpad transmission daemon with that. A little twisted but seems to be working so far. I had to change the default download directory which was set to /home/root/, not good for big files so set it to /media/internal/downloads/. Don't think it saved, might have to update the config file in /home/root/.config to make it stick. Where there's a will there's a way I guess. Not sure it's worth it doing it this way but had to see if I could do it,
    Just to follow up that all iis working well for me this morning. Did have the daemon crash once yesterday so just had to run the daemon again and been fine since so might have been a fluke. Left it running over night and it ran fine and finished a large download. I changed the path in the config file to /media/internal/downloads so have an acceptable path when the daemon srarts now. It feels a bit cobbled together but working fine.
    as bog-standard on an ubuntu chrooted environment you cant run a server and have it seen by an external device to your pre/touchpad, you have to do some tweaking in xterm before launching xserver/ubuntu, i found this guide that tells you how to enable server ability in ubuntu so you can just use an ubuntu program for your torrent needs, such as the gui driven transmission or any other linux software that acts as a server. (this way you dont need your PC as a middle man)

I used this very solution to have my pre3 control my touchpad's (running as a server) ubuntu via SconiX's HomeControl app.

linux - How do you run a server with chrooted Ubuntu on the HP TouchPad? - Super User

Scroll down a bit on that link and basically this guys clever stuff boils down to this, needed doing every reboot.

--------------------------------------

Just start Xecutah, and click Start XTerm. I typed these commands to allow all access on all ports for WebOs, which in turn gives all port access to chrooted Ubuntu:
    sudo iptables-save > /firewall.rules
    iptables -X
    iptables -t nat -F
    iptables -t nat -X
    iptables -t mangle -F
    iptables -t mangle -X
    iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
    iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
    iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
    iptables -F

Don't worry if iptables -X gives you a link error. If, after you're done testing your server, you'd like to restore the firewall in WebOS, then just run this command:
    iptables-restore < /firewall.rules

This is everything that got my server working on chrooted Ubuntu. The same should work for you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast