Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    8th Touchpad from HP. Everyone single one defective. This one works, but has horrible lightbleed. It is too bad as I really really liked the touchpad, but my experience has been horrible. I really enjoyed my first one until it got repaired by their facility and each one after was worse than my first. This one is actually the best, but the light bleed is so bad it actually discolors stuff on the bottom whether it is black or not. Hopefully Someone will take this off my hands for what I put into it so it isn't a total loss.
    tork202 likes this.
    That sucks, sorry to hear that. Hope you find another tablet.

-V
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    this is why i am very worried to send mine in for repair. it is perfect in every way except for a hairline crack, but i have read plenty horror stories from people here about getting crappy replacements in return. i think i could live with my tiny crack by the speaker b/c i dont want to have the same problems you went through.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    this is why i am very worried to send mine in for repair. it is perfect in every way except for a hairline crack, but i have read plenty horror stories from people here about getting crappy replacements in return. i think i could live with my tiny crack by the speaker b/c i dont want to have the same problems you went through.
    I kept mine. My personal TP has a hairline crack almost halfway across the back of the device, but it lives in the TP rubber case and I slapped some packing tape over the crack to hopefully keep it from cutting the thing in half. So far so good .

I figure, it'll hold up for as long as I care to own it. I'm not going to bother sending it in and getting back someone elses problems in return.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Hmm.. that's weird. I've never had any bleeding issues on mine. Strange that you keep getting that.
    agreed. superglueor tape it and don't look back
  7.    #7  
    I am surprised by the amount of light bleed on this one. HOWEVER, I have noted that this is the brightest TP I have ever seen. I cannot have it at more than 50% in my living room because 100% is eye bleed bright. I suspect that is why the bleed is as bad as it is.
    This is exactly why I never sent mine in to "fix" cracked casing defect by the speakers. Too many horror stories and after my work in the service and repair industry...no way in heck exists I'd ever buy a non-apple refurb lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
    I am surprised by the amount of light bleed on this one. HOWEVER, I have noted that this is the brightest TP I have ever seen. I cannot have it at more than 50% in my living room because 100% is eye bleed bright. I suspect that is why the bleed is as bad as it is.
    I have my TP and Pre 3 set to 1% most of the time. 1% is quite bright on the TP and Pre 3.
    My crack at the top speaker finally went all the way through and I could actually wiggle and lift the little piece of plastic away from the speaker. Still, my Touchpad has been great (except some recent software issues which I think I've resolved), so I didn't want to risk sending it in to HP. I got some epoxy and glued it back together and it seems to be very solid now.
    g.vos and Vistaus like this.
    I'm just curious as to why you find the need to send it in eight times.

Be happy with what you got. I honestly can't comprehend the light bleed being so ridiculously insane that you feel the need to keep sending it in, one after the other.

"fallacy of perfection"

If light bleed is an issue, then every electronic device I have ever owned has light bleed issue... as well as your claimed "discoloring" issue...... o_O
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I'm just curious as to why you find the need to send it in eight times.

Be happy with what you got. I honestly can't comprehend the light bleed being so ridiculously insane that you feel the need to keep sending it in, one after the other.

"fallacy of perfection"

If light bleed is an issue, then every electronic device I have ever owned has light bleed issue... as well as your claimed "discoloring" issue...... o_O
    Everyone has a different level acceptable quality with their devices. I sent my Touchpad in twice, because my home button had caved in more than I would have liked. Both times, I got my Touchpad back, with no work done on it. The reps couldn't tell me why, because they said there is no way to communicate with the repair center. They sent me a box to return it in for a third time, but I finally decided that it wasn't bad enough to deal with returning it again. Normally, I would keep fighting the good fight, as Zarich had. I just don't want to trade in my problems for someone elses. If it was another company that still had new units, of course my decision would be different. But, I wouldn't have been able to find a different $150 tablet, either.

I say just sell your Touchpad on eBay. You could probably get enough to purchase another Touchpad, or put some moeny down for an iPad 2.
  13.    #13  
    Your question as to why I sent it in is a good one so I will explain. The first touchpad I got had two spots of dust under the screen. Normally I would ignore these but they both blocked light when the touchpad was on. So I sent it in. They sent it back not repaired. I sent it back to them. They sent it back fixed, however this time they didnt get the screen mounted correct and I had a ton of light coming from the corner.
    I should have stopped here I realize, but I was annoyed that they fixed one problem to introduce another. I sent it in again. This time they sent it back in the worst condition I have ever seen. The screen was scratched, they left epoxy on the back, and had made two long marks under the screen. I was pretty mad so I called and they did an exchange. The unit they sent me would not turn on at all. I tried everything and they concluded defective, so I sent it in and the next time they sent me a 16gig. So I sent that back and this time I got this one.
    I sure wish I had kept my second send back as it was the best of the group, but my annoyance at their service got the best of me. Live and learn. Had they not totally destroyed my other I might even risk sending this in to fix the bleed, but I would prefer to own a different vendors product at this juncture.
    I'm not good w/ taking care of my computers.. I take no pride in that, but it's a big reason why I buy macbook pro's. Pretty sturdy even if they fall from say (5 feet up onto a concrete floor)

But my point is.. I haven't been to good w/ my touchpad either and the thing has held up remarkably well. No issues to date.. Surprised at the hardware myself.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    I'm not good w/ taking care of my computers.. I take no pride in that, but it's a big reason why I buy macbook pro's. Pretty sturdy even if they fall from say (5 feet up onto a concrete floor)

But my point is.. I haven't been to good w/ my touchpad either and the thing has held up remarkably well. No issues to date.. Surprised at the hardware myself.
    Same here but mine is in a leather case which I believe has saved it a number of times. I feel really bad for the guys with all the trouble but mine has been spot on from day one. I think going to a different mfgr is the way to go but get a another tablet for sure. Those with out one have no idea what they are missing and I have the fireside sale to thank for my introduction. I would have never bought one otherwise. As a matter of fact I am enjoying some pandora music blue toothed to my home stereo from the TP as I type this on the TP.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric 32gb View Post
    Same here but mine is in a leather case which I believe has saved it a number of times. I feel really bad for the guys with all the trouble but mine has been spot on from day one. I think going to a different mfgr is the way to go but get a another tablet for sure. Those with out one have no idea what they are missing and I have the fireside sale to thank for my introduction. I would have never bought one otherwise. As a matter of fact I am enjoying some pandora music blue toothed to my home stereo from the TP as I type this on the TP.
    Same situation with my HP TouchPad, its in mint condition without any cracks or scratches at all. It's very strange to hear so many stories from a lot of people within the forums describing broken plastic back-case of the TouchPad or around section of the speaker grills. With my device that I had gotten to own for 6 long months, I haven't gotten anything wrong with the unit so far with the HP TouchPad. Everything works accordingly to what it has been expected out of the device(to my full understanding), except with the slowness of the performance issues with WebOS. I wish(dream even) that I could speed up the process of WebOS tweak things around to make it launch apps faster and performance across multitasking with WebOS card interface. Yet, that's another story that could talked about in a different topic.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Vistaus likes this.
    maybe the cracking has to do with where you live. I'm in CO with very dry climate and high/low temperatures from day to day. I have two small cracks on my 16 and none (so far) on my 32. Both are in the rubber/fitted case that I got free from HP after demanding to speak to a supervisor/manager. Had to email photos of the cracks. We absolutely love our touchpads and have had no problems at all. Both are overclocked, etc. I have messed around with the Ipads at the Verizon store and prefer the TP. The cracks are frustrating, but the fitted cases are great in hiding small cracks. Just hope they don't get worse. I haven't even taken the cases off for months to check. May take a peek in July!
    I'm in the same climate, extremely dry, and extreme temperature variations. I would think the temperature differences would have more effect than humidity. (2 TouchPads, 1 has a crack, the other doesn't. The one with the crack has been dropped on several occasions, of varying degrees.)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I've still got cracks on only 2 of my 3 touchpads - and hilariously the one that -isn't- cracked is the one I let my 2 year old have. He beats the hell out of that thing - the case is almost falling off, it has been dropped, thrown, stepped on, written on, sat in the bottom of the toybox, spilled on, etc. I have device replacement if anything happens to it, but so far it's still spotless and crackless.

Mine is babied like crazy, looks brand-spanking new in it's case, and it's got a hideously large crack across the back.

Funny stuff really . It's random, it just happens.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Vistaus likes this.
    Just a quick note to say I was happy with my service experience; I got a new/refurb one that has been excellent.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast