Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By bluenote
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    With the announcement of Community Edition, is that a way of saying that there will not be any more official HP updates to webOS? 3.0.5 will be it?

Thanks in advance!
    HP is building v 4 of webOS. They are calling it OpenwebOS. A beta is slated to come out in August.
    Yeah, at least until Open webOS is finished and released this fall. I imagine HP will release a build of Open webOS for the TouchPad, or the community will grab their pitchforks and torches... and then do it themselves.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    HelloNNNewman and Vistaus like this.
  4.    #4  
    I'm sorry, I was aware of Open webOS coming (and should have been clearer), but thanks anyway. I guess I meant specifically to the webOS that we use right now, but it sounds like you think it is done.

If that is so, is the 3.0.5 bug reporting thread of any use any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by NewTouchPadUser View Post
    If that is so, is the 3.0.5 bug reporting thread of any use any more?
    It lets them know what needs to be fixed in 4.0 aka Open webOS.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    It lets them know what needs to be fixed in 4.0 aka Open webOS.
    Indeed. And maybe it's of use for a 3.0.6-update. I don't expect one, but hey, lately unexpected things happen at HP (like the 1.4.5-update for Telcel, the Bing Maps for 1.4.x, the never-released Pre 3 getting an update, etc.). I don't expect one, but I'm not ruling it out either.
  7.    #7  
    Ok, thanks!!!

Now, one more question...what then should a basic end-user really expect from Open webOS?

I mean, I guess I've been following but haven't (some times it is too techy, or too many steps in the ultimate/eventual release of everything, too many Greek god names, etc.), and my very basic impression is that webOS will just become open source...nothing really else...allowing other hardware developers, software programmers, etc. to do with it what they want.

When I think of Open webOS I haven't thought of what "new" things it will provide us, improving upon webOS, like the general updates that come to an OS as it adds functionality, etc. from one version to the next.

Thanks in advance!
    Says HP:

“The 1.0 release of Open webOS will include many new features, technologies, and enhancements, benefitting from HP’s ongoing development of the code. This work will also have the effect improving performance on a variety of hardware.”

http://www.webosnation.com/what-open-webos-1-0-1
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    No one asked me, but I have this feeling that the webOS 3.0 that actually came out, was more of an evolution of the 2.0 branch, whereas the real webOS 3.0 is actually what we'll end up with with Open webOS. Just a feeling that I get.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Says HP:

“The 1.0 release of Open webOS will include many new features, technologies, and enhancements, benefitting from HP’s ongoing development of the code. This work will also have the effect improving performance on a variety of hardware.”

http://www.webosnation.com/what-open-webos-1-0-1
    Wow! No offense to you, Derek, bec. I know you were just cutting & pasting what HP said but that is the most non-committal/non-descript thing I have seen in quite some time.

I guess the second quoted sentence is the most important, but it certainly does not imply or guarantee that any major hardware provider will jump on board.

I guess I just don't get the buzz over what the "openness" of what OpenOS will bring me, an existing user, or to general consumers in the near future (or even the value HP gets out of doing all this). Maybe to those that never had it they can throw a new ROM on their device, if they are geeky enough to do it, but to the general populace we're still probably talking at least another year, presuming then a major player jumps on board and makes it the default OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewTouchPadUser View Post
    Wow! No offense to you, Derek, bec. I know you were just cutting & pasting what HP said but that is the most non-committal/non-descript thing I have seen in quite some time.

I guess the second quoted sentence is the most important, but it certainly does not imply or guarantee that any major hardware provider will jump on board.

I guess I just don't get the buzz over what the "openness" of what OpenOS will bring me, an existing user, or to general consumers in the near future (or even the value HP gets out of doing all this). Maybe to those that never had it they can throw a new ROM on their device, if they are geeky enough to do it, but to the general populace we're still probably talking at least another year, presuming then a major player jumps on board and makes it the default OS.
    The skeleton webOS staff is working hard on a rewrite. I think six more months is too long though, they need to speed up sharing of code with webos internals so we can at least see a preview of the new browser and other features by June.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    The skeleton webOS staff is working hard on a rewrite. I think six more months is too long though, they need to speed up sharing of code with webos internals so we can at least see a preview of the new browser and other features by June.
    I would say be lucky that we were told September, and not "in the coming months", like we're all too well used to.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Vistaus likes this.
    Indeed sledge. I know it's fairly long and I want to see it more quickly too, but I do weigh the fact that a lot of people either got kicked down the boot or quitted, so the team is not as big anymore. If all devs would still be there, then it would be here way faster.