Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'd like to get some feedback on reasons NOT to part with the TP. I have had the TP since the firesale. Love it. But I still feel jumpy, and that the grass is greener in Appleland. The Touchpad currently meets most of my needs. I do mainly news and reading. Not much gaming. I do also have an iPhone which I use exclusively on the go. I mainly use the TP at home, on the couch. For the most part, I'm sports, news, and email. And for the last 6 months, the TP has met those needs. Recently, I did the CM9 addition. CM9 is nice, but it is sterile and it is unstable in some areas. Plus it kills my battery. And I've read about the potential issues, and have experienced a few as well. I'm thinking of deleting it. Plus, I don't trust Google at all. I don't trust their privacy policy, which is there isn't one. So I really prefer webOS. The problem is lack of Apps to make my experience smoother. I know there are some decent RSS and news aggregaters available. I've downloaded most of what I like in the HP app store. I'm just afraid that going forward, there is not going to be much new regarding the TP except being a toy for tinkerers. I like to tinker occasionally, but for the most part, I just want a quick experience. In and out with clean Apps and not having to rely on the web browser as much as I have.

I keep hearing about Open Source and better builds of CM9 Android, but hanging around for these things to happen with no timetable is maddening. In waiting, I feel I am missing out. So far, I have decided to keep the TP. But there are some deals now on iPad 2's, and it fits my budget. specially if I can get $150 or more on my dual-boot TP. I'm looking for a reason to keep the TP and look forward to the next chapter. But it is hard to see when and where that is.

If anyone is facing the same dilemma, do advise. I especially want to get a glimpse of the future with the TP. One in which I don't have to do too much tinkering to experience.
    Really, if it's about $150 and you still like the TouchPad...keep the TouchPad, and save up another $150....what's that going to take, an extra paycheck? 2 maybe? I don't know your financial situation, but it kind of seems to me like you don't want to let go of it.

Up to you, but if I were in your shoes, that's what I would do.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    To be honest, I've been thinking about it myself. I bought the Touchpad because I was skeptical of tablets in general and thought that for $150, it was a pretty low-risk way to see how I'd use one. I LOVED the Touchpad and enjoyed it for the first few months but recently, haven't been as happy, unfortunately.

But now, I'm becoming more frustrated. I could live with the case crack next to my speaker. I could somewhat live with the lack of apps (though that is harder and harder to do). But since the 3.05 update, my battery life stinks (either that, or my battery is already almost dead, which is another problem entirely) and my network drops after using it for 20 minutes or so, requiring me to either reboot the device or to switch wi-fi off and then back on again. I thought about adding CM9 to see if that alleviates these issues, but after reading all the steps involved and hearing that it still has issues, I'm thinking about just caving in and getting an iPad.
    Indy

Just so you know, it takes about a half an hour of reading (and that's reading it twice), so that you understand what you're doing, and about another half hour to an hour to do it. If you want to check it out, just read the thread, and follow all the steps. There's plenty of people around here that can help you out if you get stuck.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Not quite grasping the jist of the thread... It's all personal decisions that no one can 'give a reason not to sell'. Not sure if I'm understanding the point of this....
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/16/2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Soorma likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Indy

Just so you know, it takes about a half an hour of reading (and that's reading it twice), so that you understand what you're doing, and about another half hour to an hour to do it. If you want to check it out, just read the thread, and follow all the steps. There's plenty of people around here that can help you out if you get stuck.
    I'm a technical guy by trade and used to enjoy hacking around, but lately, I just want something to work (working on enterprise apps and servers all day takes the "hacker" out of me ). I don't know, maybe I'll set aside some time this weekend and just load CM9 and see how it looks. Otherwise, unless there is a 3.06 update with some miracle fixes in the next couple of weeks, I think I might go the iPad route.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Not quite grasping the jist of the thread... It's all personal decisions that no one can 'give a reason not to sell'. Not sure if I'm understanding the point of this....
    I think the OP is hoping someone tells him something about the future of the Touchpad and webOS that maybe he isn't aware of and will change his outlook. God knows I'd like to hear some update plans for it as well. The 3.05 update has really made me mad. Honestly, I absolutely love my Touchpad and I really like webOS too, but these bugs are annoying me and I haven't been able to find a fix yet. Maybe my hardware is just going bad, but I kind of doubt it and these issues started creeping up after the 3.05 update. Maybe I should just doctor it back to 3.04 or something.
    I've had my TouchPad now for almost now for almost 9 months now and use it every day and still loving it. I read books, surf the net, check email and when I am home I pair it with my Pre 3 and use it for texting, just a great companion for me because of my type of work, I travel a lot. Since the 3.0.5 update my battery life has been excellent and have had no issues with lag or with wifi. Best 149 dollars I have ever spent by far and if my TouchPad takes a dump tomorrow I would have no regrets what so ever. It's kind of funny really, 150 dollars, crap, in Appleland they spend that much money on lattes drinks at Starbucks every month.

People spend 99 bucks on a coffee maker and they don't anquish over the idea that maybe they the should sell it before the price drops but for some reason they think that the 99 dollars they spend for a 16 GB TouchPad is a huge lifetime investment and fret over if they should sell it quickly before it drops down to 70 dollars and they lose their shirt of their back.
    W00sh and Eric 32gb like this.
    1) You can get an ipad (1, 2 or 3) almost anywhere, anytime (once the initial rush is over)
    2) Touchpads are much rarer, and in a few years will be even hard to find
    3) Touchpads don't have much value, money wise, unfortunately.

I own 6 tablets, love them all
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    From what I can gather from the OP's tone they really want an iPad ...

I'd try to hang on to the TP because it's difficult to imagine better value for $150.

BUT if selling it was the difference between getting an iPad 2 and not then I'd sell it.

I have both and they get used just as much as each other, just for different purposes. The TP is going travelling with the MIL soon ... I wouldn't let her take the iPad though

The OP appears to want apps that 'Just Work' and the iPad certainly has those.

Given the 'new iPad' is just an iPad 2S it makes the deals on the old one more attractive.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I've had my TouchPad now for almost now for almost 9 months now and use it every day and still loving it. I read books, surf the net, check email and when I am home I pair it with my Pre 3 and use it for texting, just a great companion for me because of my type of work, I travel a lot. Since the 3.0.5 update my battery life has been excellent and have had no issues with lag or with wifi. Best 149 dollars I have ever spent by far and if my TouchPad takes a dump tomorrow I would have no regrets what so ever. It's kind of funny really, 150 dollars, crap, in Appleland they spend that much money on lattes drinks at Starbucks every month.

People spend 99 bucks on a coffee maker and they don't anquish over the idea that maybe they the should sell it before the price drops but for some reason they think that the 99 dollars they spend for a 16 GB TouchPad is a huge lifetime investment and fret over if they should sell it quickly before it drops down to 70 dollars and they lose their shirt of their back.
    No argument there -- if my Touchpad croaked tomorrow, I'd still say it was probably the best $150 I've spent.
    @netwrkr9

Couldn't agree more. I had never used a palm phone, or seen webos before I tried to buy a touchpad during the firesale. I wasn't able to get one, so I paid about 2x the firesale price on a touchpad because they seemed interesting and even at $200 were pretty affordable. I love webos, works like I do.

I bought a veer to use with my touchpad even though I had an iphone4. The veer is ok, it's too small for me, but otherwise I love having webos phone/touchpad combo. Saving my pennies for a pre3.

I have cm9 on here, but think android sucks and I think most people seem to gush over it because they can watch netflix on it. I don't subscribe to netflix so I don't care about that. I have no trouble with the touchpad's browser. It would be nice to have a newer more updated one, but It works well enough for me, and the annoyance of android isn't worth whatever "improvement" might be in the browser for me to use it.

I guess I'm just weird, but it works for me, and I love using webos and will continue to do so.
    jjacobs likes this.
    If you need the $200 you'd net selling the TP to purchase the iPad, you really cannot afford the cost of Apple's ecosystem. That effortless (and in my opinion boring) experience will cost you. Apple has the highest market cap for a reason.

I say keep the TP and buy the iPad. I find the TP similar to the Raspberry Pi in many respects, a cheap fun technology learning tool. The iPad is a polished media consumption device.
    W00sh likes this.
    I can see where the OP is coming from. I didn't think I would have much use for a tablet but it has come in handy for classes. Problem is webOS is just so bad for school so I was thinking about selling it and getting an android tablet. The way I see it the TP isn't good for people that want some good use of it but good enough for those that just want to surf and check email.
    I strongly disagree. I had just the opposite experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by kobethecat View Post
    I'd like to get some feedback on reasons NOT to part with the TP. I have had the TP since the firesale. Love it. But I still feel jumpy, and that the grass is greener in Appleland.
    If anyone is facing the same dilemma, do advise. I especially want to get a glimpse of the future with the TP. One in which I don't have to do too much tinkering to experience.
    There is, and always will be more apps for the Apple IPad. If you just have to have that, have the cash, and Apple doesn't get on your nerves, that might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Thinking the same thing, Looking for someone to talk him in, or out, of it, commiserating, trolling a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post

Well said. There is a religious element to this sort of thing but also a heavy bottom line one, I know that's the case for me. If you can deal with the Apple BS, want more apps, and have the cash, go for it. But it's a far cry from touchpad firesale prices to new iPad:
    iPad 3 or "new iPad" prices
    16GB WiFi only - $499
    32GB WiFi only - $599
    64GB WiFi only - $699
    16GB WiFi + 4G - $629
    32GB WiFi + 4G - $729
    64GB WiFi + 4G - $829

And that's just the bare tablet, with no accessories or software beyond the base.
    Last edited by texasflood; 03/16/2012 at 08:58 PM.
    How so? I couldn't download from blackboard, pdf has no bookmarks, no good ereader, kindle has no dictionary, no good doc editor. Try scrolling through through a 1000 page pdf since the pdf app doesn't even have a way to input a page number.
    If you can do it with linux you can do it with the TP. I admit it takes some persistence and a black belt in google-**, but it can be done. I generally use my ubuntuchroot for grad school related tasks. WebOS HP catalog apps are geared toward media consumption, and the stock email app is really good. Homebrew is just super groovy.

With the chroot you can do a bunch of stuff. Kindle Web reader works with chromium, as does google books. I use Firefox with the Zotero plugin, xornal, and evince for my pdfs. I prefer chromium's touch interface to firefox's, but not enough to compile Zotero standalone for the TP. There is an adobe app patch that greatly expands the functionality of the stock webOS app, somewhere on these forums. I also run the full libreoffice suite to write papers and do some spreadsheet work. Some of my data is considered confidential, so I keep it in a truecrypt container on the fat partition. Works well since i can access my encrypted data when the TP is used as big flat shiny usb drive. CUPS prints to my epson printer, though I have some issues printing some pdfs.

Heck you can even run stats and GIS on the TP, just I wouldn't recommend trying to manipulate any rasters.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    My one cent (I doubt my input is worth the full two cents )...
    I have both a TP and an iPad 2. Money isn't an issue since I got my iPad through work, and between price cuts, rebates, and app credits, I wound up paying $50 for the TP. So it's pretty much a direct comparison.
    In most ways, the iPad is better. No doubt. And if your focus is ONLY on apps, I guess it's game over. Netflix and MLB.tv are important to me, and the TP just doesn't have them.
    HOWEVER, over the last 9 months of having both, I gravitated to the TP EXCLUSIVELY. Call me crazy, but I think webOS is a superior-enough OS to make up for all the other deficiencies. If all you want is news, reading, and email, I see no reason to switch (other than being mesmerized by Apple's marketing). I can even get a decent media fix with Flash video on the web (Crackle, Veetle, ESPN3.com, etc.), and you can still get live audio on MLB 11. I'm happy.
    Well said, carldc. My wife bought an IPad so it's there if I want to use it but rarely do. I suppose if there was an app I had to have that I couldn't get on the touchpad then I'd use it more. But I use it for web browsing, news, reading, email, music, light gaming. It's sort of a supplementary media device to my laptop for me and is great in this role. The browser has issues but thanks to WebOS upgrades and preware it's tolerable for what I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakko View Post
    i just installed cm9 and problems solved. I have no time or interest to deal with ubuntu which I hate on the desktop.
    I've thought about both ubuntu and cm9 but shied away from both so far, maybe time to take the plunge.
    @kobethecat

I think that since you still feel you're missing out with your webOS TP, and you've also tried CM9 but still aren't satisfied with what it gives you, then you probably should go for the iPad. There are still a lot of people out there that want to buy a TP, so you can sell it, get your money back, and someone that will put it to good use can have it. There is still considerable uncertainty concerning what's going to happen with webOS, and if you're at the point where you feel you can't wait to see what happens, then make the jump.

The reality is that there are still a lot of TP's out there, and the price will continue to go down over time and then level off - no matter what HP does the prices are not going to go back up, so if 12 months down the road things have changed drastically over here in the webOS Nation you can probably scrape together $200 bucks and rejoin us, right?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast