Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    It's probably not a bad idea to be afraid of preware. It's not inherently evil but with all the patches available, particularly in the alpha & beta feeds, you certainly can do damage with it. I use it but am very minimalistic with what I add and no longer have the alpha/beta feeds. Internalz Pro, xecutah, tbfiletransfer, touchvol, findinpage, for example, are all worth having in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Well, shocking as to many people it might seem...Within my HP TouchPad I haven't installed Preware for fear of bricking my TouchPad. I've read from tons of users from this very same forum that they tinkered too much with the device that someday it didn't even turned on(while even pressing the power button). That has kept me away from messing with the device by installing Preware on my TouchPad. And plus, there isn't much tinkering that could probably be done with Preware, How many good patches are out there that may improve the actual use of the TouchPad ? Probably like five or ten at best, like the overclocking one and the faster WebOS animation card.

Maybe I'm wrong, but like I said previously very much fear of tinkering with stuff that I don't know. The fear of the unknown I guess....Maybe I should try Preware one day.
    Songbird, Audubon Flowers and wifi media sync are all available in the catalogue.
    No installing of preware is required.
    Internalz Pro is a necessity, I'd regard that as a missing feature in a stock Touchpad (no file manager).
    Oh, as for the new iPad: too expensive, too limited. It costs you $99 a year to write programs for it, and you have to write them in Cocoa. It has no Flash, and you can't put Ice Cream Sandwich on it either. For all that money you get precious little. And in Apple's forums you won't find the honesty you find here at WebOSNation, either.
    Soul Brother likes this.
    Well, shocking as to many people it might seem...Within my HP TouchPad I haven't installed Preware for fear of bricking my TouchPad. I've read from tons of users from this very same forum that they tinkered too much with the device that someday it didn't even turned on(while even pressing the power button). That has kept me away from messing with the device by installing Preware on my TouchPad. And plus, there isn't much tinkering that could probably be done with Preware, How many good patches are out there that may improve the actual use of the TouchPad ? Probably like five or ten at best, like the overclocking one and the faster WebOS animation card.

Maybe I'm wrong, but like I said previously very much fear of tinkering with stuff that I don't know. The fear of the unknown I guess....Maybe I should try Preware one day.
    You're missing out (not installing Preware), is all I have to say. I am pretty sure I had Preware installed as soon as I as able to, after the initial 3 hour update/download/sync session....and overclocked shortly after that. There's more to it than "5 or 10 patches".
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Sell it!
    Two 16g TPs and a 32G
    Preware is not needed as many have said. But I think the biggest problem is you have a fear of Preware, where Preware (if the most basic of instruction are followed) has NEVER "bricked" a device (as you said in another post).

Actually NO modification has ever actually bricked a device, unless you were messing around with the A6 chip, which Preware doesn't actually allow you to do.

For a quick example, I have, over crappy public WiFi, patched my VKBs on my TouchPad multiple times without an issue. I don't even look at the device, run patch, let it sit on my desk, come back to it after reboot.

Even if you manage to brick something, it will be a hardware failure, and if you haven't messed with A6 or processor (over clocking) HP with replace/repair.

Note: all reference to A6 was @ phones at this point...

Ohh and saying you have read of tons of users that have tinkered too much and bricked, I hope you read more. That is very uncommon, and almost always related to other issues. If you search for the bad, you can find some, those that go wrong are the first to report. Back in 2009 I did a ton of research after we bought our Pre's, was in dev mode and using webOS QI the next day. Every device since sees Preware the first moment I can plug it into a computer.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 03/29/2012 at 09:13 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I feel that the iPad you can easily clutter yourself with apps, and just forget the browser at times... whereas the TouchPad you have your basic apps, an integrated instant messaging system, integrated skype and a browser that supports flash... plus the $$$
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    @kobethecat

I think that since you still feel you're missing out with your webOS TP, and you've also tried CM9 but still aren't satisfied with what it gives you, then you probably should go for the iPad. There are still a lot of people out there that want to buy a TP, so you can sell it, get your money back, and someone that will put it to good use can have it. There is still considerable uncertainty concerning what's going to happen with webOS, and if you're at the point where you feel you can't wait to see what happens, then make the jump.

The reality is that there are still a lot of TP's out there, and the price will continue to go down over time and then level off - no matter what HP does the prices are not going to go back up, so if 12 months down the road things have changed drastically over here in the webOS Nation you can probably scrape together $200 bucks and rejoin us, right?
    I originally bought Vizio's tablet thinking it would satisfy my needs for it (limited). However, I returned it to CostCo, and bought a Touchpad for the same price.

I have been really satisfied with the unit. I only plan to use it for another year, and probably move up to the I Pad. It's all a matter of expectations - $200 for 2-2.5 years use isn't much.
    I have had my touchpad for 7 months I guess and was so excited to get one
    for entertainment but now it just sits there u cant do awhole lot with it wanted
    to use it for mlb tv since it does have a great picture but you cant,.Netflix wont work on it either
    Hp movie store is lacking, cant use hulu on it No updates for LONG TIME..Hey don't get me wrong
    I think the touchpad is a great piece of hardware just wish it could be used like almost all the other
    tablets
    I just sold mine to get a vita. However I sold mine because of my **** poor experience with HP repair. I thought it was overall a great tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickr765 View Post
    Oh, as for the new iPad: too expensive, too limited. It costs you $99 a year to write programs for it, and you have to write them in Cocoa. It has no Flash, and you can't put Ice Cream Sandwich on it either. For all that money you get precious little. And in Apple's forums you won't find the honesty you find here at WebOSNation, either.
    Emphasis on the honesty! Then again lovers of the webos platform usually like multiple platforms, so Its in all our best interest to not feed into any sort of foolish cult hype, and put more emphasis on functionality.
    I haven't used mine in a while because I havent found time to buy a new adaptor for charging. When I do get It I will start using It again, but that shows HP made a huge mistake not enabling charging through other means such as laptops etc.
    The tp is a 1980 used Chevy. The iPad is a 2012 Porsche Carrera.. Get with reality. Sure for the 99 or 150 dollar fire sale price you can do email or surf. That old Chevy will get you from home to Walmart too. But like the Chevy the tp and webos are already in the junkyard. For a few bucks more get a refurb iPad with full aple warranty and a REAL future. By the end if this year all the tp batteres will be dead with no replacements. Junkyard. In the fire sale frenzy last summer I bought a 32gb tp at bb for $150. It was decent but lacked everything that my ipad2 did. And the tp just sat in the corner rarely used and with terrible battery life. Luckily I recently sold it. Hp has walked away from the tp and webos and it looks like hps computer biz is going to die out. Junk yard ;dogs.
    Last edited by Nychotxxx; 04/01/2012 at 07:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    The tp is a 1980 used Chevy. The iPad is a 2012 Porsche Carrera.. Get with reality. Sure for the 99 or 150 dollar fire sale price you can do email or surf. That old Chevy will get you from home to Walmart too. But like the Chevy the tp and webos are already in the junkyard. For a few bucks more get a refurb iPad with full aple warranty and a REAL future. By the end if this year all the tp batteres will be dead with no replacements. Junkyard. In the fire sale frenzy last summer I bought a 32gb tp at bb for $150. It was decent but lacked everything that my ipad2 did. And the tp just sat in the corner rarely used and with terrible battery life. Luckily I recently sold it. Hp has walked away from the tp and webos and it looks like hps computer biz is going to die out. Junk yard ;dogs.
    The used Chevy vs new Porsche Carrera is a stretch. You might make that case with the new IPad which has some genuine hardware advanages especially the screen. However I have an older iPad and know first hand it doesn't apply there. And for a new IPad, if 4-5 times the cost is "a few bucks more" then you're not as cheap as me and probably a good candidate for Apple products. IPads do have a brighter future, of course, since HP walked away as you said. But I knew then when I bought mine at firesale prices, HP was obviously walking away during the firesale which everyone who bought then should have known. But you also have to know that in a year there will be a new model iPad. While that's good in insuring the viability of the product line, it is als going to devalue your unit. As for batteries if you're been following the forums here you know there are already touchpad batteries available on ebay. It's true that the touchpad has limits but that's OK for many of us. I didn't need an IPad and the touchpad suits me better for my needs as of now. My wife has an iPad I can use if I want, I just never want. Sounds like it wasn't the right choice for you but don't presume that to apply to everyone no more than I will assume you shouldn't have sold yours.
    I usually useTP to surf the net, it is getting to be a pain, so slow openning up sites or not at all
    I have gone back to using my laptop
    I currently own an iPhone 4s and a TouchPad, on which I primarily use cyanogenmod 9 version of android ICS. From my experience owning both an apple and webOS/android device is that beyond the initial price difference of the TP and iPad, you'll be spending a lot of extra money to get functionality of the iPad simply because iOS devices are more or less useless (besides being a music player of course) without apps. Having an iPod touch when I was younger and didn't care about the workings of software and hardware tech was great as it was more or less "plug-and-play", but since my interest in desktop PC's and most recently mobile technology has been piqued, I realize that iOS is what Jiffy lube is to oil changes vs changing your own oil.

Considering the lack of functionality of current "smart" devices and software and compared to a PC or Mac, I'm not so sure the TP can be damned for functionality beyond its hardware with any substantiated argument. My $0.02

Sent from my HP TouchPad using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
    From my experience owning both an apple and webOS/android device is that beyond the initial price difference of the TP and iPad, you'll be spending a lot of extra money to get functionality of the iPad simply because iOS devices are more or less useless (besides being a music player of course) without apps.
    Sorry try as I might this section is confusing me. Starts out sounding like you think the iPad is the way to go then say it's useless. I'm very tired so maybe reading it wrong.
    I made the jump to the NEW ipad. Sorry to say but the difference is night and day. I know, I'm going to get flamed and skinned alive by webos fans but since I've used TP for over 6 months, and it was my first tablet, and now I've had my new ipad for couple of week, I think I'm qualified to evaluate them. Of course everything I have to say is pure personal preference.

Having the retina display alone is worth the upgrade in my opinion. Not to mention the apps (but we all know that) and the fact everything just works. With TP, I had all the patches and tweaks installed and it still had me scratch my head many times. I used my TP for everything. Now I use my ipad for everything also but just much faster and smoother. To me the extra cost is definitely worth it.

I sold my 32g TP with HP cover for $215 on CL. It went quick. Of course I went and bought the 64g 4G ipad so yeah, I spent some dough on that baby. No regrets though. I don't get frustrated like I used to with TP.

Bottom line, ipad is better than TP if you want something that has endless apps and has not weird behavior issues. On the other hand, if you like to tinker with things, TP might be a better choice for you (and it's much cheaper).

Good luck to you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    I made the jump to the NEW ipad. Sorry to say but the difference is night and day. I know, I'm going to get flamed and skinned alive by webos fans but since I've used TP for over 6 months, and it was my first tablet, and now I've had my new ipad for couple of week, I think I'm qualified to evaluate them. Of course everything I have to say is pure personal preference.

Having the retina display alone is worth the upgrade in my opinion. Not to mention the apps (but we all know that) and the fact everything just works. With TP, I had all the patches and tweaks installed and it still had me scratch my head many times. I used my TP for everything. Now I use my ipad for everything also but just much faster and smoother. To me the extra cost is definitely worth it.

I sold my 32g TP with HP cover for $215 on CL. It went quick. Of course I went and bought the 64g 4G ipad so yeah, I spent some dough on that baby. No regrets though. I don't get frustrated like I used to with TP.

Bottom line, ipad is better than TP if you want something that has endless apps and has not weird behavior issues. On the other hand, if you like to tinker with things, TP might be a better choice for you (and it's much cheaper).

Good luck to you all.
    Glad you find what works for you and you were able to easily sell the TouchPad for a good price. The retina display is great, the file transfer abilities so restrictive that I understand why people call it an iToy. Will be interesting to see if when Open webOS debuts, it can draw some of these supposed custom android makers to use it as a differentiator. I can see how Amazon can customize Android and get away with a unique look as it has the content and the cloud to offer. The others will have to try harder.

Everything has its 15 minutes of fame.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast