Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 117
Like Tree28Likes
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by kobethecat View Post
    I'd like to get some feedback on reasons NOT to part with the TP. I have had the TP since the firesale. Love it. But I still feel jumpy, and that the grass is greener in Appleland. The Touchpad currently meets most of my needs. I do mainly news and reading. Not much gaming. I do also have an iPhone which I use exclusively on the go. I mainly use the TP at home, on the couch. For the most part, I'm sports, news, and email. And for the last 6 months, the TP has met those needs. Recently, I did the CM9 addition. CM9 is nice, but it is sterile and it is unstable in some areas. Plus it kills my battery. And I've read about the potential issues, and have experienced a few as well. I'm thinking of deleting it. Plus, I don't trust Google at all. I don't trust their privacy policy, which is there isn't one. So I really prefer webOS. The problem is lack of Apps to make my experience smoother. I know there are some decent RSS and news aggregaters available. I've downloaded most of what I like in the HP app store. I'm just afraid that going forward, there is not going to be much new regarding the TP except being a toy for tinkerers. I like to tinker occasionally, but for the most part, I just want a quick experience. In and out with clean Apps and not having to rely on the web browser as much as I have.

    I keep hearing about Open Source and better builds of CM9 Android, but hanging around for these things to happen with no timetable is maddening. In waiting, I feel I am missing out. So far, I have decided to keep the TP. But there are some deals now on iPad 2's, and it fits my budget. specially if I can get $150 or more on my dual-boot TP. I'm looking for a reason to keep the TP and look forward to the next chapter. But it is hard to see when and where that is.

    If anyone is facing the same dilemma, do advise. I especially want to get a glimpse of the future with the TP. One in which I don't have to do too much tinkering to experience.
    sell it for $200 any day of the week and make another webOS user happy.

    I've got 2 Touchpads for the family and very happy with both. I could not stand the thought of being tied into iTunes & not being able to go wherever I want in the OS (being an AmigaOS & Palm guy afterall ;-)
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
  2. tmelon's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    619 Global Posts
    #62  
    I'm getting the new iPad in a couple weeks and I'll probably just give my TouchPad to my dad. The only things that I'll miss are the file storage, nice multitasking and Flash Player.

    Other than those things, the grass will probably be much greener on the iPad side. I already have an iPhone and MacBook, so it'll probably be a lot more connected.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
    sell it for $200 any day of the week and make another webOS user happy.

    I've got 2 Touchpads for the family and very happy with both. I could not stand the thought of being tied into iTunes & not being able to go wherever I want in the OS (being an AmigaOS & Palm guy afterall ;-)
    looking for another one ?
  4. #64  
    I like so many others on here bought my TouchPad during the fire sale. I had always been a iPhone/iPad user but had also always loves webOS. For about the first three months of owning my TouchPad I was loving it, now however the honeymoon phase seems to be over. I couldn't tell you the last time I used the TouchPad though is was back when HP was still indecisive about what to do with webOS and so it's been before the whole open source announcement. When I was using the device I did have Pre Ware installed on it.

    However at this point I'm not sure what to do with the tablet as it's just sitting in its box with all it's original accessories atop my closet. I have no idea of what type of "goodies" that this whole open source has to offer me. Would anyone care to enlighten me as to what I'm "missing out" on? Or should I just count my losses and sell the TouchPad on eBay?
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by swampbaby985 View Post
    I like so many others on here bought my TouchPad during the fire sale. I had always been a iPhone/iPad user but had also always loves webOS. For about the first three months of owning my TouchPad I was loving it, now however the honeymoon phase seems to be over. I couldn't tell you the last time I used the TouchPad though is was back when HP was still indecisive about what to do with webOS and so it's been before the whole open source announcement. When I was using the device I did have Pre Ware installed on it.

    However at this point I'm not sure what to do with the tablet as it's just sitting in its box with all it's original accessories atop my closet. I have no idea of what type of "goodies" that this whole open source has to offer me. Would anyone care to enlighten me as to what I'm "missing out" on? Or should I just count my losses and sell the TouchPad on eBay?
    If you don't see any benefit or enjoyment in "using" the touchpad, whats the point?

    I use my touchpad every single day, it's become my go-to device for basic web surfing on the couch, it's a travel video-player for the car complete with a seatback mount, it's a remote-desktop device for controlling my PC when I'm elsewhere, it's a music player, it's a note-taker (with my hp bluetooth keyboard - it's awesome for this - a perfect note-taking companion and very unobtrusive to use during a presentation). The battery has -never- failed to get me through an entire day of heavy use and after I got CM9 up and running properly on the device, it does EVERYTHING a tablet really can do. It multitasks just fine, it runs without any real slowdown or lag issues, it surfs the internet beautifully, it runs any game I care to run on it. It's among the most powerful android tablets currently on the market. Not too shabby.

    The only complaint I even have, and it's a pretty damn small one, is that the screen could probably use a HAIR better resolution. It's not that the current resolution is bad (most things look nice and crisp and beautiful), but I can absolutely see the difference and benefit in having a higher-res screen like the new ipad enjoys (you can see the difference when they are side-by-side viewing a webpage for instance). I think the ipad went a bit overboard with it (dead-serious overkill imho), but there is certainly a happy medium that is a bit higher res than the TP.

    Point being if you aren't using the TP, you probably won't find a real use for -any- current tablet. Sell it if you don't want it and it's just sitting in your closet, or find a friend/family member and give them a badass gift.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  6. #66  
    Touchpad was a great starter system, I made the jump to premium land and I have zero remorse. Webos had so much potential, I lovvvved it while I had it. Sadly it looks like windows, droid, and iOS are the only ones who are going to make it.
  7. #67  
    Here are some good reasons: ignore the code: Please Steal These webOS Features

    I regret parting with mine. Even with Android it was seeing little use, so I gave it to a relative. Naturally I started finding uses for it soon after. Now I've got a Pre 3 on the way, and will grab another TP if one floats by.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by caesarsz View Post
    Touchpad was a great starter system, I made the jump to premium land and I have zero remorse. Webos had so much potential, I lovvvved it while I had it. Sadly it looks like windows, droid, and iOS are the only ones who are going to make it.
    Grass is always greener on the other side.

    For the "premium" price, I thought the "premium" tablet would be able to get my book and movie files easily from my mac and be able to play them but lo and behold, it was a pain and I was resorting to workarounds. Whereas my non-premium" webOS software accomplished this task with ease using wireless drag and drop from my computer. And surprise! sometimes the websites which have more features such as downloading are blocked from the "premium" player browser as they want you to use only the app (the app of course has more crippled upload and download than the web page).
    I'm not saying there isn't much to like about the "premium player." Still for the "premium price" I am considering paying, I would have expected more ease and more features than my "non-premium" player, rather than forcing me to buy and store in the " premium"cloud.

    All this giving me more hope that people will see potential of OPEN webOS. For my money, the openWebOS team is losing a marketing opportunity by waiting 5 months to give webos internals some sort of preview of what they are up to in their code rewrite.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  9. #69  
    I bought one with very little research, and have been very happy with it. It doesn't have all the thrills of the ipad but hey, it was only 150$. To be honest, I don't really like WebOS. I like the look, I like the ideas, but it's just not complete. Everything works but it needs more polishing. It looks like we won't get that final coat but I could still watch sports and tv on it, read books, browse. Pretty much everything I needed.

    I took the plunge and went to CM9 A2. I hardly ever go back to WebOS anymore. That's not complete either but it has apps I would want to doodle around with (got bored of all the games within a day or 2 and now it's all productivity related) and I can use better reading apps and have google apps synced. (It's really creepy how well they datamine you). I find CM9 to be a far more useful (due to the economies of scale) OS and it goes with me everywhere. The webOS guys put a lot of work into their work, but unfortunately they didn't have the backing. Android is easily accessible to TP users now, and I encourage everyone to try it out, it made me love my TP that much more. The only real problem I see is Android is not completely ported to the TP and we don't have a mic or camera to skype with. There are always work arounds though.

    The bottom line is; we paid a small price for the hardware provided to us, even if the software was still in its teenage years. We spend more on coffee makers, gizmos, and other frivolous things that we spend less time using.

    Users who are able and willing to use/tinker/mod their hardware will be unlocking a great deal of value from the TP, while those who want it on a silver platter will be better served by paying the price of silver. If you don't like the TP, sell it, get something you want and won't complain about and waste other people's time reading your moaning. (this is not directed to legitimate hardware failures). Everyone who kept their TP has a bang for buck device out of the box with the potential to be something greater in the future.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbalancerguy View Post
    looking for another one ?
    thanks for the offer but 2 in our household is the limit :-) I'm sure if you advertise it here it'll be gone in a heart beat
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Grass is always greener on the other side.

    For the "premium" price, I thought the "premium" tablet would be able to get my book and movie files easily from my mac and be able to play them but lo and behold, it was a pain and I was resorting to workarounds. Whereas my non-premium" webOS software accomplished this task with ease using wireless drag and drop from my computer. And surprise! sometimes the websites which have more features such as downloading are blocked from the "premium" player browser as they want you to use only the app (the app of course has more crippled upload and download than the web page).
    I'm not saying there isn't much to like about the "premium player." Still for the "premium price" I am considering paying, I would have expected more ease and more features than my "non-premium" player, rather than forcing me to buy and store in the " premium"cloud.

    All this giving me more hope that people will see potential of OPEN webOS. For my money, the openWebOS team is losing a marketing opportunity by waiting 5 months to give webos internals some sort of preview of what they are up to in their code rewrite.


    Of course it's not better in 100% of the things tablets can do :-). For me it handles what I wanted/needed out of a tablet a lot better than touchpad. I lovvvved the touchpad, the only problem was it was good for the price, it wasn't a good tablet (for me). Eventually the lag was just killing me, the web browser was killing me, and webos itself was just annoying because it always left me thinking "man this is so awesome but why didn't they finish this OS, maybe polish it up a bit". I loved my tpad, but I needed an upgrade :-). The good thing is my buddy is going to get a 32gb touchpad, touchstone, and hp case for 150 bucks and hopefully give him a good starter tablet to decide of he wants to go premium or stay with the good value of the touchpad.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by caesarsz View Post
    Of course it's not better in 100% of the things tablets can do :-). For me it handles what I wanted/needed out of a tablet a lot better than touchpad. I lovvvved the touchpad, the only problem was it was good for the price, it wasn't a good tablet (for me). Eventually the lag was just killing me, the web browser was killing me, and webos itself was just annoying because it always left me thinking "man this is so awesome but why didn't they finish this OS, maybe polish it up a bit". I loved my tpad, but I needed an upgrade :-). The good thing is my buddy is going to get a 32gb touchpad, touchstone, and hp case for 150 bucks and hopefully give him a good starter tablet to decide of he wants to go premium or stay with the good value of the touchpad.
    Great for you. Not being able to share and move files easily unlike webOS puts me in a world of hurt. And I am not alone. This long time mac journalist and user see link below is spilling a lot of ink on these types of issues. What was shocking to me when I picked up the iPad to check it out, was why I didn't hear of this sooner. I asked the apple store employee how the corporate users were getting along with this file moving, file sharing issue and she suggested log-me- in. So that puts into question for me why I would spend $600 to log in from ipad when I could log in from no name tablet. I get the gorgeous HD resolution but on a 10 inch screen vs 42 inch, I dunno. I get the fact that there are better apps and that is the most attractive thing to me right now as some works stuff could be done via these apps in a mobile way, so that would be my best use case for this. I'm not saying I'm not in love with the HD screen because I am, it makes reading and viewing a delight. I'm just surprised that there are such significant negatives, makes me think apple rightly marketed this as personal device and were taken aback when developers rushed in and corporate users started adopting...


    Why Apple Strays from “Keep it Simple” | Ted Landau's User Friendly View | The Mac Observer
    "I believe the answer gets back to the core design of iOS and iOS devices. They have been designed with sandboxing of apps and app data as paramount, with restricted walled-off access to actual data files. Any solutions to syncing problems must work within the confines of these initial restrictions. It’s a tough nut to crack. Apple has boxed itself into a bit of a corner. In the end, this is why file sharing of iOS files has long proven to be a hassle, why related hassles persist in the syncing of iWork documents via iCloud, why iCloud is in general too complicated, and why related problems (such as with syncing of Notes) keep cropping up."
  13. #73  
    Coming from a hardcore Palm loyalist:

    There is no reason. Buy the iPad, it probably has everything you need and more. One thing though: If you don't really need it right now, leave it. There is always a better iPad next year. So, if the TouchPad covers all bases right now, don't buy the iPad.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by swampbaby985 View Post
    I like so many others on here bought my TouchPad during the fire sale. I had always been a iPhone/iPad user but had also always loves webOS. For about the first three months of owning my TouchPad I was loving it, now however the honeymoon phase seems to be over. I couldn't tell you the last time I used the TouchPad though is was back when HP was still indecisive about what to do with webOS and so it's been before the whole open source announcement. When I was using the device I did have Pre Ware installed on it.

    However at this point I'm not sure what to do with the tablet as it's just sitting in its box with all it's original accessories atop my closet. I have no idea of what type of "goodies" that this whole open source has to offer me. Would anyone care to enlighten me as to what I'm "missing out" on? Or should I just count my losses and sell the TouchPad on eBay?
    Agree with what your saying about the honeymoon phase with the HP Touchpad, I'm already through with that with my WebOS tablet. The only real use sometimes will be a casual web-browsing but nothing else, not that I will be blaming WebOS(more of HP FAULT) for the lack of updates to the OS which fails bland in comparison to other mobile OS from the competitors. Most of the time, it sits inside of the box unless that I might to browse the web while sitting at the couch and I'm too lazy to turn on my old laptop. But the point of the matter, there barely any useful functionality out of WebOS that will make any person use it as their personal tablet like the people that I always see on StarBucks(carrying) their iPads.

    Some people might say easily, just go ahead and sell it on Ebay. However, the reality is not that simple anymore to sell a TouchPad online specially a discontinued one at best. Maybe if it was the mystical devices in the color white HP TouchPad 64GB version or something like that could probably be easier to sell online. Because lets talk truthfully who in the right mind will buy a device for US$200 or $250 which people have to resort to installing CM9 A2 to make a device functional ? Nobody will, specially if there are other tablets out there that have more functionality built into them right out of the box without having to resort to tinkering device with complicated hacks and installs.

    I'm just have the hope that the 250 employees at HP WebOS unit, might have something interesting to show us in the months to come. There's too many promises with the WebOS open source project, let's see if (silly)HP could have the possibility on delivering something meaningful to this nice platform. Maybe it could encourage those owners who has their HP TouchPads collecting dust inside their original boxes to once again find some usefulness out of these devices.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  15. #75  
    Your signature says proud owner of a TouchPad, and in the first paragraph you say "Most of the time, it sits inside of the box unless that I might to browse the web while sitting at the couch and I'm too lazy to turn on my old laptop."

    That seems a little confusing to me.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  16. #76  
    Probly keep it in the box to keep it in mint condition for the inevitable sale
  17. #77  
    PalmPixi_User23, you've made a lot of assumptions in your post.

    - Touchpad users have to "resort" to installing android to make it functional. I haven't and from reading the forums here, many others have not. Depends on what you need, android might be the way to go so nice to have the option, I see it as a positive not something we have to resort to.
    - There is a $200-$250 tablet with more functionality "out of the box" Maybe so but off the top of my head not thinking of one with similar specs
    - Ebay buyers won't be interested for the above reasons. Seems like touchpads are selling. Now that the major chains are selling refurbs, seems like ebay sellers are adding value by pre-installing items like the better patches and android to be more attractive which probably isn't a bad idea.
    - Sort of implied that an IPad would satisfy everyone for a portable computer. My thought is a lot of the folks who think the touchpad falls short here would also find the iPad unsatisfactory. Obviously it has more software but can't really replace a laptop in all respects.

    The firesale touchpad was a low cost tablet with nice hardware specs that was clearly doomed to have an OS that would never get to fully mature and less software than the ipad. That's likely not going to change although we can always hope. What has changed is the touchpad price has gone up, more are available for sale, HP warranties are running out, and there is more indirect competition - older ipads falling in price and newer kindle models. So all indications seem to be it will get harder to sell not easier. That's not surprising as it's generally how things work. Just because you don't like the touchpad now doesn't mean there isn't a buyer out there who wants one. I'd say if you want to ditch it, load CM9 as a value add & list it on ebay as a the best thing since sliced bread. Be positive about it even if you don't believe it yourself.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Your signature says proud owner of a TouchPad, and in the first paragraph you say "Most of the time, it sits inside of the box unless that I might to browse the web while sitting at the couch and I'm too lazy to turn on my old laptop."

    That seems a little confusing to me.
    Well, former proud owner of an HP TouchPad will probably be the best way to describe currently. Back in the days of the Firesale back in August, I was very proud of my purchase of US$300 included with all the accessories like the HP case and the Touchstone charger. Even though, it was discontinued product in every sense of the word it filled a niche for what a tablet was supposed to do in terms of features. Hated the web browser, due to its slowness and unresponsiveness when loading pages, but it still allowed me to browse my favorites sites.

    Anyways the point of the matter, is that as time past away my favorite WebOS tablet became practically less functional when it came to applications. Applications are the thing that gives tablet more life to the regular users without the addition of an software update from company who built them. Believe me its no fun, when looking at the HP catalog with their struggles to find a good app means you'll have to rely on its excellent(but flawed) WebOS stocked Web browser for most of your fun that it could be done on a tablet.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  19. #79  
    plenty of good apps in the catalogue and preware, I have over 100.
    Have you looked lately? They took awhile to get there but that is to be expected with a new tablet OS, the other tablets also took some months to ramp.

    My latest favorites are Songbird, wifi file sharing, Audubon wildflowers (the wifi fi file sharing is something that cant be done in the same way on the ipad). The first two debuted this month, the last one was recently discounted.

    edit: also wifi media sync for mac just came to the touchpad within the last few weeks, syncs a whole folder from the mac, this also cant be done on the ipad and both these file functions are huge for me.
    Last edited by bluenote; 03/26/2012 at 04:36 PM.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    plenty of good apps in the catalogue and preware, I have over 100.
    Have you looked lately? They took awhile to get there but that is to be expected with a new tablet OS, the other tablets also took some months to ramp.

    My latest favorites are Songbird, wifi file sharing, Audubon wildflowers (the wifi fi file sharing is something that cant be done in the same way on the ipad). The first two debuted this month, the last one was recently discounted.

    edit: also wifi media sync for mac just came to the touchpad within the last few weeks, syncs a whole folder from the mac, this also cant be done on the ipad and both these file functions are huge for me.
    Well, shocking as to many people it might seem...Within my HP TouchPad I haven't installed Preware for fear of bricking my TouchPad. I've read from tons of users from this very same forum that they tinkered too much with the device that someday it didn't even turned on(while even pressing the power button). That has kept me away from messing with the device by installing Preware on my TouchPad. And plus, there isn't much tinkering that could probably be done with Preware, How many good patches are out there that may improve the actual use of the TouchPad ? Probably like five or ten at best, like the overclocking one and the faster WebOS animation card.

    Maybe I'm wrong, but like I said previously very much fear of tinkering with stuff that I don't know. The fear of the unknown I guess....Maybe I should try Preware one day.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions