Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    For $150 this is the best coffee table always there consumption device....sold my iPad because i used it the same way
    kataran likes this.
    I sight of the TP sitting on a touchstone on the coffee table can never be replaced

glimpse in x-mode feeding your on-line life is something you would miss if you decide on the fruit

my opinion
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    if you are not a computer geek, the touchpad is a pain in the ***, slow opening website or not at all
    load cm9 that just fly over my head as it a completely different language to me

may just send the touchpad to my son who would be able to set up cm9 and give it to the granddaughter to play with, she will be 5 soon , and uses his Tosbia all the time
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I had cm9 on my 32gb touchpad. But I have to say that webos just works so well that I removed android till it gets more functional.
    BTW I am a XDA DEV for the skyrocket and develop for the Viewsonic Gtablet and the Nook Color, used to develop for the Captivate, att Tilt (TYTN2). I love android and ICS for the Gtablet is coming along same issues as ICS on the Touchpad currently. The only problem I have is that there are not a lot of webos apps but I think that will change after open webos 1 comes out and is working on the Touchpad.
    Last edited by tjsooley; 03/17/2012 at 10:09 AM.
    honestly I would say go get a ipad 1 or 2 if you can afford it (the ipad 3 display is not much screaming about, and only get a 2 over the 1 if you need a camera, since the speeds are pract the same). Though tablets are still tablets Ive owen the TP, ipad 1, and 2 and android galaxy 10.1 all great but lack. If you need a great tablet IMO get a windows 8 tablet. I have a hp slate and a hp mini touchscreen with windows 8 consumer on it and it is everything a tablet should be. Its so because you get a full desktop with a tablet experiance, Windows 8 is the only tablet out there that gives you a full desktop experiance in a tablet size, and optimization.
    Quote Originally Posted by kobethecat View Post
    I'd like to get some feedback on reasons NOT to part with the TP. I have had the TP since the firesale. Love it. But I still feel jumpy, and that the grass is greener in Appleland. The Touchpad currently meets most of my needs. I do mainly news and reading. Not much gaming. I do also have an iPhone which I use exclusively on the go. I mainly use the TP at home, on the couch. For the most part, I'm sports, news, and email. And for the last 6 months, the TP has met those needs. Recently, I did the CM9 addition. CM9 is nice, but it is sterile and it is unstable in some areas. Plus it kills my battery. And I've read about the potential issues, and have experienced a few as well. I'm thinking of deleting it. Plus, I don't trust Google at all. I don't trust their privacy policy, which is there isn't one. So I really prefer webOS. The problem is lack of Apps to make my experience smoother. I know there are some decent RSS and news aggregaters available. I've downloaded most of what I like in the HP app store. I'm just afraid that going forward, there is not going to be much new regarding the TP except being a toy for tinkerers. I like to tinker occasionally, but for the most part, I just want a quick experience. In and out with clean Apps and not having to rely on the web browser as much as I have.

I keep hearing about Open Source and better builds of CM9 Android, but hanging around for these things to happen with no timetable is maddening. In waiting, I feel I am missing out. So far, I have decided to keep the TP. But there are some deals now on iPad 2's, and it fits my budget. specially if I can get $150 or more on my dual-boot TP. I'm looking for a reason to keep the TP and look forward to the next chapter. But it is hard to see when and where that is.

If anyone is facing the same dilemma, do advise. I especially want to get a glimpse of the future with the TP. One in which I don't have to do too much tinkering to experience.
    Dude, you were already part of someone else's thread posting the same question. I think you already know what you want to do. Just sell it and get it over with. Save up a bit more money and get the Ipad3. I've not seen it personally myself but if you're spending money to get a pre-ipad3 tablet, once you see ipad3's screen, I think you'll start to long yearn for it (until other tablet makers come out with 2x resolution tablets themselves to offer up some diversity).
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    Don't sell your Touchpad, because we are unifying the architecture and giving WebOS users the operating environment the deserve .
    Well, that totally sets off my BS dedicator, the bs-buzzwords-per-sentence meter just went off the charts.

Frankly, after using webOS, Android, PlayBook, and iOS, and having been a Linux user for as long as it has existed, I've come to the following conclusion:

The likelihood of anyone ever building a truly good user-experience on a Linux based system is slim to none. The system is just plain not architected for UX.

Anyway, to answer the original question .. Because it's freakin' expensive, and you already have a great tablet.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Video looks great on ipad3. Sound is poor, the TouchPad is head and shoulders above this. What this means for an ipad owner who loves sound is that they will have to lug around a set of speakers. Add that to the weight of the ipad and you start to lose the advantage of portability
    without reading the rest of the thread, and responding to the title only:

1. because it's an ipad
    2. because the touchpad is awesome
    3. because it's an ipad
    4. because you won't ever have a touchpad again, and the touchpad is awesome
    and......
    5. if you sell the touchpad, you STILL have to pay out your for the ipad
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

if you dont want it, bin it, if you do then keep it, not sure why it would take some magic words from others to sway your opinion, only you know if you definatly like or dislike it, and if you can afford an ipad3, then you can afford to keep the touchpad, seems a bit of a silly post tbh, its not like selling your touchpads gonna give you all the $$/ for the ipad.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Video looks great on ipad3. Sound is poor, the TouchPad is head and shoulders above this. What this means for an ipad owner who loves sound is that they will have to lug around a set of speakers. Add that to the weight of the ipad and you start to lose the advantage of portability
    whats your bet the touchpad haters of old who put it down because of the touchpads supposed "too heavy to lift" problem will do a 180 for the ipad when/if it weighs more as well, no doubt coming up with some key buzzwords and praise for the extra bulk/weight instead.
    It's still lighter, 90 grams lighter....roughly 3 ounces. Whew what a workout!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad
    http://techlitevents.com/ipad-vs-hp-...-vs-moto-xoom/
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Deleted post for trolling
    CM9 ICSBrowser+ is lightning fast - it's worth to try CM9 just cuz of the browser.
    Last edited by sledge007; 03/17/2012 at 06:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    whats your bet the touchpad haters of old who put it down because of the touchpads supposed "too heavy to lift" problem will do a 180 for the ipad when/if it weighs more as well, no doubt coming up with some key buzzwords and praise for the extra bulk/weight instead.
    Hadn't thought about that. I don't think the Touchpad is too heavy but the extra weight and a shell seemingly not quite up to the stress of holding it in certain ways could be contributing to the cracks some folks are having. Not me, yet, knock on wood, but I don't hold it much, rather position it using the HP case or touchstone.

What I found is:
    iPad 1 is about 1.5 pounds
    iPad 2 is about 1.33 pounds
    iPad 3 is about 1.43 pounds
    TouchPad is about 1.6 pounds
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Its not the weight of the pad, its the extra space and weight of having to pack speakers and batteries and power cords for the speakers and then unpack and set up or do without good sound. Even if you are at home, you will at least have to set them up and adjust volume and some of the cheaper speakers have volume that cannot be controlled by an app so you would have to go back into the other room to change the volume.

The video on the ipad is amazing, the detail in the movie scenes is beautiful and the magazine i looked at was pristinely gorgeous. Still I would rather have an OK movie picture and beautiful lilting sound without much more effort.

I tried to do a few things on the ipad like drag some books into ibooks and itunes crashed on me several times. i tried to download a movie from pogoplug share and the app does not have a download and the website refuses to load and only directs you to the app unlike the touchpad where you can load the browser website. So in a weird way, touchpad has some more functionality than ipad in terms of downloading from pogoplug. What was cool though was that i resorted to uploading some books to pogoplug in the hopes that i could get them on the ipad that way and the app did give me a choice of opening them in ibooks or kindle--very cool.

I hope OpenwebOS releases the code needed for the community to fix webOS.
  16.    #56  
    Well, after going to test out an iPad, I decided to stick with the Touchpad. I'm still frustrated with CM9, so I think I will just remove it and just make the most of webOS. Hopefully, Openmobile will port over some Android functionality, and the webOS opensource project will develop sooner then later. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by kobethecat View Post
    Well, after going to test out an iPad, I decided to stick with the Touchpad. I'm still frustrated with CM9, so I think I will just remove it and just make the most of webOS. Hopefully, Openmobile will port over some Android functionality, and the webOS opensource project will develop sooner then later. Thanks for all the feedback.
    I hear you. What made you decide not to get the ipad?
    I've tried all the various tablets, including the iPad 3. I will admit, it is a pretty slick tablet. I'm an iPhone user, so for me, I was always comfortable around iOS.

That said, for my basic usage, web, emails, Facebook and the occasional game, the Touchpad which set me back a mere $150 is doing the job. I am also enjoying CM9. I had the initial battery and WiFi issue, but the guide here on disabling Google Talk fixed the battery. WiFi issue also seems to be gone.

Web OS does feel more polished, but that's also maybe because CM9 is still alpha.

Note that I have a pretty solid Touchpad, no cracks, no other weird bugs. This is also with my two youg kids pounding away at it.

I will probably skip the iPad 3, and likely hold off until the iPad 4 as the 3 doesn't offer me enough to ditch the Touchpad for my modest needs.
    geekpeter likes this.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I hear you. What made you decide not to get the ipad?
    Pretty much the reason I didn't is that I have an iPhone, and despite Apple having a gazillion apps, I use maybe 20 regularly. So it really isn't about the apps like I thought. Most if what I do on a tablet I figure I can do on the Touchpad, and maybe, just maybe, this Open Source thing might happen. So I'm going to let the TP carry me for as long as it can. If nothing new happens by the fall, I might make the jump. Or if the TP crashes (I have a temperamental CM9), I may be forced to. But for now, I am going to stay the course and save the $$$.
    Pre >iphone, touchpad >ipad
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast