Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    i just installed cm9 and problems solved. I have no time or interest to deal with ubuntu which I hate on the desktop.
    Ah, then why would you purchase a device that didn't meet your requirements out-of-the-box? Even at firesale prices the TP would be a waste.

Do you hate ubuntu or the unity desktop environment? I dislike the Unity DE on the desktop, it's okay on a netbook. I, strangely enough, have found that I prefer the gnome shell 3.2 on my HTPC. I run LXDE on the TP, with the Natty release. Lately I have found that Precise has many needed of arm compiled packages, which is a huge time saver (even if I spend some time in dependency hell). Natty can run pretty lean, so I don't want to do a full upgrade. Compiling chromium looks like a bear, happy to find all the needed packages in Precise (natty is stuck at version 10 for arm).

When I get my Raspberry Pi, I will probably run xbmc as a standalone DE on top of Fedora or Debian.

Sadly Android doesn't have an xserver port yet, so X has to be run through a vnc app. I think the port is nearly finished.
    The only regret I would have if my TouchPad kicked the bucket tomorrow, is that I am so used to using my TouchPad all day, every day. It's not that I'm glued to it, I do have things like work that get in the way, but I am pretty used to just stopping what I'm doing, picking up my TouchPad, surf/tweet/check email/sending texts now/whatever, and going back to what I'm doing.

I've tried both CM7 and CM9, and to be quite honest, if I'm going to have to shell out $300 (I'm ballparking the figure) for a decent replacement tablet, I think I woukd rather throw in the extra $100-200 for an iPad.

Android is ok, but not $300 ok. Not for me anyway.

I was happy with my TouchPad at full price, got my money back, bought a second one with money left over and am still happy with it.

I'm hooked on tablets, and there's no support groups or hotlines that I can go to/call to get off of them.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I think you should sell it.
    I really don't care enough to give you any good reason not to.
    If you don't think it's worth the fire sale price then bail on it dude.
    Perhaps there may be someone else here who cares enough to talk you off the cliff, but, it's not me...
    mkblitz17 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    If you can do it with linux you can do it with the TP. I admit it takes some persistence and a black belt in google-**, but it can be done. I generally use my ubuntuchroot for grad school related tasks. WebOS HP catalog apps are geared toward media consumption, and the stock email app is really good. Homebrew is just super groovy.

With the chroot you can do a bunch of stuff. Kindle Web reader works with chromium, as does google books. I use Firefox with the Zotero plugin, xornal, and evince for my pdfs. I prefer chromium's touch interface to firefox's, but not enough to compile Zotero standalone for the TP. There is an adobe app patch that greatly expands the functionality of the stock webOS app, somewhere on these forums. I also run the full libreoffice suite to write papers and do some spreadsheet work. Some of my data is considered confidential, so I keep it in a truecrypt container on the fat partition. Works well since i can access my encrypted data when the TP is used as big flat shiny usb drive. CUPS prints to my epson printer, though I have some issues printing some pdfs.

Heck you can even run stats and GIS on the TP, just I wouldn't recommend trying to manipulate any rasters.
    Thanks for this list.
    This is a great discussion.
    Would love to know how you put together truecrypt. Amazon tells me my version of chromium 10.0 for ubuntu 11.04 and firefox 4.0 cannot run cloud reader so I am waiting for the linux kernel to come out for webOS and then we shall see if/how the builds might change for the touchpad, I'm not in a hurry here especially as I find the amazon e-ink reader so much easier on the eyes than a tablet reader, so much less eye strain.

Comparing ipad3 to touchpad and kindle reader at apple store today, my experience is that the movie i streamed on the ipad was gorgeous in detail, much better than ipad2 and touchpad1. My understanding is the retina will really outshine for photos and possibly magazines (i did not look at magazines although I did look at a grainy pdf and picsel for webOS did great, much better than the kindle readers on the tablets, evince on linux in touchpad, or kindle ereader..

I compared a kindle book in ipad3 , ipad2 and touchpad and saw no difference even using amazon retina kindle. The apple employee said it was because i picked a clear text. It was an average textbook as far as i could see. The diagram in the textbook was not readable on the touchpad, not readable on the ipad3 either, was passable on kindle eink reader.

Picsel, quick office and libre office carry the risk for me that they sometimes strip or change the formatting on a microsoft office doc or spreadsheet, therefore I have to be very careful in using them for formal documents..

When i showed a few apple employees how I could flip between cards to glance at various emails so I could refer for example to the spelling of someone's name, their eyes widened.
    So it really is in what you need.

I loved the way the ipad3 picked up the details in movies. Is that worth the extra $500 plus for me and giving up multitasking on webOS unless I carry 2 tablets, that and the easier layout and extra features in some apps? I think I might win and lose.
    This is why I love the post I quoted from willard as he is systematically trying to answer his needs with creative solutions in linux or webOS patches. It really is about answering your needs.

What I do know is that the retina display will change market expectations, forcing movie files for example to be much larger which will force everyone to buy bigger storage drives or shell out money to cloud storage providers and fast internet connections to stream. I saw a chart this morning on Morning Joe news program that the average American made only $80 increase in salary for 2010 whereas the 1% made a few hundred thousand and the 0.01% made $4 million on average. So where is this money going to come from for the increased storage or cloud service storage and delivery payments?
    Note: the Warren Buffet types live in middle class houses, so they may be doing ok with the cheaper tablets too.

As far as webOS future: the webos internals people are chomping at the bit, just waiting for source code to be released so they can get to work improving webOS. We might need to wait until the summer to see the results of this although the linux kernel is coming out within the next 2 weeks, which might allow for increased linux functionality separate from webOS, we shall have to see.

In the meantime, some cool webos apps came out this month--a sound hound type app, wifi syncing for the mac and touchpad, wifi file sharing which I used to quickly drag a pdf onto the touchpad--all these make my touchpad better and more functional--at a low risk price for me.
    Last edited by bluenote; 03/16/2012 at 10:26 PM.
    creepingmee likes this.
    Normally I try to keep my posts positive. HOWEVER I feel the time has come to share one thing here.

I cannot wait for the day to come when the detractors/naysayers or whatever you want to call it sell their devices and leave webos.

Why would I want them to? Simple. I would much rather talk in a constructive way about what we can do to improve our situation with webos and offer each other help and advice on our webos devices than listen to all the incessant complaining all the time. It doesn't help, and is really a waste of time. If you don't like webos for whatever reason, SELL YOUR DEVICE!! I don't want to hear you whine about it anymore!

Sorry had to get that off my chest!

Now, about how awesome the TP is...............
    johncc, Eric 32gb and mkblitz17 like this.
  6.    #26  
    Money is not the concern. Was just factoring in that my TP should sell for $150, and a iPad 2 is now selling for $350-$400 at Apple with a 1-yr warranty. So basically I'm getting one for $200 out of pocket. I'm not considering the "new" iPad. Not enough upgrade for me.

My main dislikes are the fact that CM9 seems to only give me a battery life of an hour or two at the most, just websurfing. WebOS allows like 8-9. So I constantly have to limit my time in CM9 because I fear it not rebooting with all the issues I've read about concerning a dead battery. So I am constantly switching back and forth between OS's.

The TP is a fine machine. But the allure for me was that I got a $500 tablet for $99. So the lack of apps and uncertain future was acceptable. But now the inconvenience of switching OS's to do different tasks, the fear of a crash in CM9, the lack of apps, and a lower iPad price point are enticing me to jump ship.

If HP released a timetable for open source developments, or even if ICE was ported over to webOS, or even the Amazon app store, I'd be fine. But all that remains an uncertainty.
    All I got to say, and I am already drunk cause my b-day is tomorrow, is that if you paid $150 for a firesale product, and that is gonna make a substantial difference in your life, then you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

I will be out of a job in 4 weeks and I just paid $250 for concert tickets.

The $$$ I spent on my TP has more than paid itself off IMHO, I have had a pretty good time with it already.

Now carry on...
    creepingmee and mkblitz17 like this.
    You're entitled to your opinion. I gave Android a fair shot, several times and several builds. I went in with an open mind and it isn't for me, plain and simple. That kind of leaves Apple, which admittedly I have very little experience with, but if there isn't a webOS tablet available, and I've already tried Android, and it really didn't make me ooh and ahh, then that kind of leaves me with one option, doesn't it?

I have a browser, music player, email/text client, video player, Twitter, alarm clock yes I use my TouchPad (and Veer for that matter) alarm clocks, which wake me up for work at 3:30 AM 4 days/ week...and seriously...it's all I need.

I don't sit on a bus on the way to work, I drive. When I'm at work, I actually work, out and about, not sitting in an office/desk environment where I can watch movies/play games all day long. And if I'm at home, I have a 43" tv to watch my shows/ movies on and a pretty decent PC that plays the games I want to play on, not these nickel and dime games like angry birds and fruit ninja., words with friends etc.

Read that I said if I had to shell out $300 for a replacement tablet, then I probably would go the extra $200(or whatever) for an iPad, not that the Android tablet isn't worth $300 to you.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by kobethecat View Post
    My main dislikes are the fact that CM9 seems to only give me a battery life of an hour or two at the most, just websurfing. WebOS allows like 8-9. So I constantly have to limit my time in CM9 because I fear it not rebooting with all the issues I've read about concerning a dead battery. So I am constantly switching back and forth between OS's.
    Wow. Dude, there's something seriously gone wrong with your CM9 install. Granted, I haven't timed mine to see how long it lasts, but I definitely get several hours at least - wouldn't surprise me if I was getting 5 or 6 hours use out of it...
    forgot to say that android creeped me out, the way the wallpaper apps, for example, wanted to look at my contact information and other sensitive material. It just wasn't worth it to me, if webOS doesn't move forward, I will go to Apple.
    We have the skeleton of an opensource timetable on webOS and so far, deliverables have been met. We'll just have to see where it comes out in functionality and what webos internals and open source mavens can do with the code as it is revealed.

The amazon e-ink reader i bought used for under $100 and it is very light and easy on the eyes. I thought I would regret the purchase when I compared to the ipad3 but my eyes did not.

Edit: to kobecat--I got a good deal on an ipad2 but i found ios ipad2 less useful for work because webOS helps me to see more than 1 program at once in my work. The four finger switching in ios was nice but it felt more like putting down one piece of paper and picking up a second one rather than having 2 pieces of paper open at once to compare side by side. That said, if you like the apps better in ios, then go for it as ipad2's decrease in price has definitely made it more affordable.
    Last edited by bluenote; 03/16/2012 at 10:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks for this list.
    This is a great discussion.
    Would love to know how you put together truecrypt. Amazon tells me my version of chromium 10.0 for ubuntu 11.04 and firefox 4.0 cannot run cloud reader so I am waiting for the linux kernel to come out for webOS and then we shall see if/how the builds might change for the touchpad, I'm not in a hurry here especially as I find the amazon e-ink reader so much easier on the eyes than a tablet reader, so much less eye strain.
    Here is the link to chromium 13, Amazon Kindle Web Reader works (see pic). I didn't go with version 17 because of all the extra dependencies.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise...romium-browser

and here is truecrypt in my dropbox. i just recompiled for arm, so you need the xserver and chroot.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21519953/truecrypt

you will need to install libwxbase2.8-0 and libwxgtk2.8-0 packages to make it work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drunk posting? People do that? (lol I stay far away from forums after a certain level has been reached )
    (Happy Birthday, good luck with finding a new employer and what concert?)

The thing is Kobe, iPad2s aren't going anywhere, and I don't imagine the price will rise either. The roadmap for open-sourcing webOS is around September. It's hard to say when a complete Open webOS will be released as a finished product, but as pieces of it come out, patches/apps will be created based on that. If you sell your TouchPad now, the likelihood of finding one later won't be easy.

It's up to you. This whole September thing is new to those of us that have used webOS for a long time. We are used to "in the coming months" translated to "somewhere between now and the end of next year", so hearing September and seeing that they are actually sticking to the plan, so far, is actually pretty refreshing.

But I don't fault you for wanting a $200 iPad2 either.
    I almost buy iPad 3 at day 1. But I canceled it due to there is rumor of 7'.85" iPad.
    Today I read iPad 3 review from engadget. I will buy iPad 3 if rumor of 7.85' iPad is false. Currently I have iPad 1.

For my TP i bought it on eBay for $325 (TP, folio case, Touchstone), I won't sell it even there is a buyer. I love my TP for browsing and watch movies. I knew watch movie on iPad won't as simple as on TouchPad. I will still need sync with iTune or iCloud, but not with TP. Just need USB mode, and then drag and drop the movies from PC to TP. No nagging backup + sync step.

Open files,move and rename very easy on TP using Internalz, no nagging jailbreak.

There are some other reasons for me to keep my TP , but I love iPad for gaming.

So having both of them is the best choice.

My main dislikes are the fact that CM9 seems to only give me a battery life of an hour or two at the most, just websurfing. WebOS allows like 8-9. So I constantly have to limit my time in CM9 because I fear it not rebooting with all the issues I've read about concerning a dead battery. So I am constantly switching back and forth between OS
    I believe you really should consider un-installing cm9, then install cm9 again. I go all day, back and forth from tablet to other things (and I rarely use webos), and my battery lasts all day.

Either that or if your battery is also this way in webos, get the unit repaired by HP, or exchange it for a refurb.
    Thank you kindly,
    Rosy
    sikfrk likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Drunk posting? People do that? (lol I stay far away from forums after a certain level has been reached )
    (Happy Birthday, good luck with finding a new employer and what concert?)

The thing is Kobe, iPad2s aren't going anywhere, and I don't imagine the price will rise either. The roadmap for open-sourcing webOS is around September. It's hard to say when a complete Open webOS will be released as a finished product, but as pieces of it come out, patches/apps will be created based on that. If you sell your TouchPad now, the likelihood of finding one later won't be easy.

It's up to you. This whole September thing is new to those of us that have used webOS for a long time. We are used to "in the coming months" translated to "somewhere between now and the end of next year", so hearing September and seeing that they are actually sticking to the plan, so far, is actually pretty refreshing.

But I don't fault you for wanting a $200 iPad2 either.
    Agreed with all that except its not a 200 ipad, its an additional 200 ipad. So if its 400 and you can afford the additional 200 beyond selling a touchpad and you like what the ipad has to offer, then go for it.
    or stay here and stick around for the surprises and if you dont like what you see come sept, buy another tablet.

edit: forgot to mention that the stereo speakers on the touchpad cancel out the retina on the ipad. I am sure if i bought the ipad, they would come out with stereo speakers for ipad4 or mini ipad that bard is referring to--and i would be cursing my shiny ipad3...
    Last edited by bluenote; 03/17/2012 at 12:20 AM.
    cm9 pumps more youth and vigor into the TP. Can use it for citrix (work), new games and apps that were missing. Dual boot over for smooth video playback on webos and webos look and feel. Dish HD sling app.

Saw new Ipad 3 today and didn't see anything that would make we want it over ipad 2. At $149 for my 32 gb touchpad it's still a awesome deal that I'm never letting go.
    SELL it! It's slow, software has random problems, outer shell has quality issues, overall gives the impression it might break at any time. iPad 3 will be a joy to use for a casual (non-geeky) person.
    I'd like to get some feedback on reasons NOT to part with the TP. I have had the TP since the firesale. Love it. But I still feel jumpy, and that the grass is greener in Appleland. The Touchpad currently meets most of my needs. I do mainly news and reading. Not much gaming. I do also have an iPhone which I use exclusively on the go. I mainly use the TP at home, on the couch. For the most part, I'm sports, news, and email. And for the last 6 months, the TP has met those needs. Recently, I did the CM9 addition. CM9 is nice, but it is sterile and it is unstable in some areas. Plus it kills my battery. And I've read about the potential issues, and have experienced a few as well. I'm thinking of deleting it. Plus, I don't trust Google at all. I don't trust their privacy policy, which is there isn't one. So I really prefer webOS. The problem is lack of Apps to make my experience smoother. I know there are some decent RSS and news aggregaters available. I've downloaded most of what I like in the HP app store. I'm just afraid that going forward, there is not going to be much new regarding the TP except being a toy for tinkerers. I like to tinker occasionally, but for the most part, I just want a quick experience. In and out with clean Apps and not having to rely on the web browser as much as I have.

I keep hearing about Open Source and better builds of CM9 Android, but hanging around for these things to happen with no timetable is maddening. In waiting, I feel I am missing out. So far, I have decided to keep the TP. But there are some deals now on iPad 2's, and it fits my budget. specially if I can get $150 or more on my dual-boot TP. I'm looking for a reason to keep the TP and look forward to the next chapter. But it is hard to see when and where that is.

If anyone is facing the same dilemma, do advise. I especially want to get a glimpse of the future with the TP. One in which I don't have to do too much tinkering to experience.
    Don't sell your Touchpad, because we are unifying the architecture and giving WebOS users the operating environment the deserve .
    To prove you are not getting sucked into 'Apple's' Commercialism & Hype for one!

Get it (the TP) repaired under warranty before your 'firesale year' is up.. HOLD ON to it.. stop quibbling about $150 and buy an iPad as WELL!!

Own BOTH!!
    And if you're still really twitchy about the TP.. load Android and give it to a family member/friend instead!
    You might well be tempted to steal it back off them later!

Jeez.. why do people make life so hard for themselves!!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/17/2012 at 05:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    Don't sell your Touchpad, because we are unifying the architecture and giving WebOS users the operating environment the deserve .

Who's 'We'??

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast