Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By aboutblank
  • 1 Post By marcedhk
  1.    #1  
    Yes, I unlocked my TP 4G just a few minutes ago. Actually it's pretty easy, all you need to do is buy an unlocked WWAN module and replace the locked one on your TP.

I disassembled my TP first, of course. And there is the WWAN module.

IMG_2723.jpg

The model is Ericsson F5521GW. I bought it from taobao(a chinese mockup of ebay) for about $33 USD. It is said that you have to use HP version, or else the FRU would not match and TP could not recognize the module. I heard that you can find this module on HP 6560b 8560P 8560W 5330M or 2560P.

IMG_2724.jpg

The Mini PCI-E slot.

IMG_2728.jpg

New module installed.

IMG_2729.jpg

I inserted a China Unicom SIM card.

IMG_2731.jpg

Firstly it's "No service", and few minutes later, the SIM card activated.

IMG_2732.jpg

3G signal, OK.

IMG_2733.jpg

Yes, it works!

IMG_2734.jpg
    You forgot the last step:

Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Nice. Too bad we can't just buy the module and install it in the WiFi only TP to make it 3G/4G capable
    Rnp likes this.
    Too bad we can't just buy the module and install it in the WiFi only TP to make it 3G/4G capable
    Puuuutzzz.. this could be great!!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Nice. Too bad we can't just buy the module and install it in the WiFi only TP to make it 3G/4G capable
    hmm. Quick! Someone find the teardown pics, high res, and see if that slot is there.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    hmm. Quick! Someone find the teardown pics, high res, and see if that slot is there.
    As cool as this would be, it isn't there except on the 4g version.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    No Mini PCI-E slot found on the WiFi version. According to my friends on chinese webos forums, it has been tested that even if you soldered a Mini PCI-E slot on WiFi version board and installed the module, it was still not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutblank View Post
    No Mini PCI-E slot found on the WiFi version. According to my friends on chinese webos forums, it has been tested that even if you soldered a Mini PCI-E slot on WiFi version board and installed the module, it was still not working.
    wow. it's so cool that they actually tried that!
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutblank View Post
    I attempted the same thing, except I believe it did not work, because of the missing (modified) stack that the 4G version probably calls for somehow. I couldn't figure out the calls and left it at that.
    Im so lost right now, are you telling me theres a 4g version of the touchpad? Because my touchpad doesnt have a simcard slot that i know of...
    Quote Originally Posted by volvoking View Post
    Im so lost right now, are you telling me theres a 4g version of the touchpad? Because my touchpad doesnt have a simcard slot that i know of...
    RARE 4G AT&T! BRAND NEW IN FACTORY SHRINK WRAP HP TouchPad 32GB 1.5GHz FB354UA (886111287017) | eBay

The sim card slot is on the WiFi only models as well, but has no functional use. You can find it (holding landscape, speakers down) in the top right hand corner. Simply push it in and it will click back out.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    RARE 4G AT&T! BRAND NEW IN FACTORY SHRINK WRAP HP TouchPad 32GB 1.5GHz FB354UA (886111287017) | eBay

The sim card slot is on the WiFi only models as well, but has no functional use. You can find it (holding landscape, speakers down) in the top right hand corner. Simply push it in and it will click back out.
    That is so boss, so your saying its the thing where it shows your TP serial number and stuff? Also anyway to hard mod to enable 4G?
    Yes that's what I'm saying, and Post #7 indicates that it isn't physically possible.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I'm amusing you can't use this new method to make it with sprint?
    FYI if you are opening up your Touchpad 4G to swap the Ericsson data card with an unlocked one from eBay, why not do the device justice by making it a REAL 4G LTE Touchpad?
    The Ericsson 5521 GW data card inside the AT&T Touchpad 4G is a faux (fake) 4G HSPA+ data card supposedly capable of up to 21 MBs when it has a good HSPA+ faux (fake) 4G connection, but in real life use, the Ericsson card usually gets about 8 Mbs and maybe if you're standing next to a cell site, you might get 13 Mbs.

I've got an ATT Touchpad 4G and a 7" HP Touchpad GO. Both devices are now 4G LTE devices achieving transfer speeds of 22 - 27 Mbs on AT&T's LTE network in California. The Touchpad GO prototype model FB398UA#ABA came with the Sierra Wireless LTE module factory installed.. I later swapped out the Ericsson 5521 GW with a Sierra Wireless card on a stock Touchpad 4G fresh out of its retail box.The performance bump is like night and day.

If you're interested in going LTE instead of HSPA+, the data card you'll need to replace the stock Ericsson with is a Sierra Wireless Air Prime MC7700 (US freq's) or MC7710 (EU freq's) and it is compatable with webOS, for the most part with one exception. The potential exists to fry the Sierra card during use of a webOS doctor to re-image the device. You can avoid this risk completely by using a meta-doctor with modem flashing disabled.
    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    Nice Barry. Shame you can't stuff one in a WiFi-only model.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    It also appears you got rid of the RF shielding in the process, which...is not that smart. There are serious reasons why there's shielding around modules like this.
    Yes, I realized that too. But it's very difficult to take off the tinfoil from the original module. It's sticked on the shell with glue. I think I should get some additional tinfoil and glue it on the new module.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    FYI if you are opening up your Touchpad 4G to swap the Ericsson data card with an unlocked one from eBay, why not do the device justice by making it a REAL 4G LTE Touchpad?
    The Ericsson 5521 GW data card inside the AT&T Touchpad 4G is a faux (fake) 4G HSPA+ data card supposedly capable of up to 21 MBs when it has a good HSPA+ faux (fake) 4G connection, but in real life use, the Ericsson card usually gets about 8 Mbs and maybe if you're standing next to a cell site, you might get 13 Mbs.

I've got an ATT Touchpad 4G and a 7" HP Touchpad GO. Both devices are now 4G LTE devices achieving transfer speeds of 22 - 27 Mbs on AT&T's LTE network in California. The Touchpad GO prototype model FB398UA#ABA came with the Sierra Wireless LTE module factory installed.. I later swapped out the Ericsson 5521 GW with a Sierra Wireless card on a stock Touchpad 4G fresh out of its retail box.The performance bump is like night and day.

If you're interested in going LTE instead of HSPA+, the data card you'll need to replace the stock Ericsson with is a Sierra Wireless Air Prime MC7700 (US freq's) or MC7710 (EU freq's) and it is compatable with webOS, for the most part with one exception. The potential exists to fry the Sierra card during use of a webOS doctor to re-image the device. You can avoid this risk completely by using a meta-doctor with modem flashing disabled.
    TTB
    Thanks, Barry. Glad to know that you finally got your own TP Go ^_^
    I have also noticed that TP Go uses Sierra module, and I found Sierra's driver in TP Go's ROM, too. But in china, there are no carriers providing LTE access, and china wants to develop their own LTE standard -_-... So, even if I replace the module with LTE compatable ones, I'm not sure I can really make use of it in the future...
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

TTB
    Hi TopTongueBarry,

I just purchased a HP TouchPAD AT&T 4G 33GB, but can't get a compatible webOS Doctor for it. Here is the info that I have for it:

HP P/N: FB354UA#ABA HSTNH-I30C

Do you by any chance have a copy of the compatible Doctor?

Thanks in Advance!

Borsheck
    Quote Originally Posted by borsheck View Post
    Do you by any chance have a copy of the compatible Doctor?
    All WebOS Doctor Versions are here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Use version 3.0.5 for the AT&T 3G (HSTNH-I30C).
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 11/02/2014 at 05:00 PM.
    Android for the HP TouchPad 4G

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10 ~ TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM11
    TP 32Gb 4G (Sierra). 3.0.5 / CM10 ~ TP 32Gb WiFi. 3.0.5 / CM10