Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
  1.    #1  
    I sold my 32 gb fire sale tp on Saturday for $185 on Craigslist. That included a $20 case. With tax I paid $160 for it at bestbuy SO I only made back my money. I probably had 4 or 5 offers in the week I had it advertised and most were in the same price ballpark with one or two lowball offers. I only bought it because of the fire sale frenzy. Because I had iPads I used it very little. I thought webos is some ways was better than iOS. BUT the tp is a dead tablet. Hp is in trouble. The promises of support are pie in the sky. It's really a toy for hackers with no amenities and few apps. My biggest complaint was the TERRIBLE battery life of the tp. And it is very unsophisticated. It's like pre ipad1. I'm not here to slam it but if anyone thinking of dumping I would' do it now or it will be a worthless doorstop especially when the one year hp warranty expires this summer with no future hardware support. It is a shame but that is the reality. I added a little over $100 that I got for my tp and bought a used ipad2 with 3G in mint condition with warranty remaining from apple as a backup to the new iPad I will buy on Friday .
    Last edited by Nychotxxx; 03/14/2012 at 07:47 AM.
    Im sorry but were you expecting anything different when you bought a fire sale device that was discontinued by a company with a reputation such as HP?
    I understand your criticisms, and I understand your TP selling for more than you bought it for.
    (this is the most diplomatic thing I've said all year.)
    You plug your phone in?
    bluenote and p41m3r like this.
    It looks like the market is for a cheap Google ICS pad, because of cm9 being fairly easy to install. I'll bet many
    TP's end up as android pads.
    As a Pre user, I was decently satisfied for paying $165 for a firesale 32 gb unit from Best Buy. After ICS, I'm extremely happy with the Touchpad especially with the price I paid. I luckily picked up a second one from Onsale (the makeup sale in Sept) for $168 and sold it in Jan for $250.

If your issue is performance, then it's valid. If you're expecting to make a killing off of reselling it, I don't know what to tell ya.
    We bought 3 TP's and honestly...I couldn't be happier. None of them are running Android. None of them have preware or have been "modded". We use webos and I think it's great. Email, web, taking some notes for a meeting. Kids playing games, playing music, watching movies. I don't know what else I could expect it to do for us. The only negative that I can see is if HP dropped it, to pursue a Windows 8 tablet.
    We bought 3 TP's and honestly...I couldn't be happier. None of them are running Android. None of them have preware or have been "modded". We use webos and I think it's great. Email, web, taking some notes for a meeting. Kids playing games, playing music, watching movies. I don't know what else I could expect it to do for us. The only negative that I can see is if HP dropped it, to pursue a Windows 8 tablet.
    Excellent point. I picked up a launch day TP and not disapointed in my purchase. Admittedly, i am not one of those that frequently change devices and apps like most change underwear. I've never understood the app crazed posters. There is NO physical way they could continually use the apps they claim they want. There isnt enough hours in the day. I have a friend that has an IPod and everytime i see her she is touting about some new app she had found. I ask her about using the app she downloaded the week before and the others she downloaded before then. She just sits there and shrugs saying she doesnt use them as much anymore. My guess is she dont use them at all.

Anyway, I guess it depends on what one uses it for. I use mine daily for my photography business. I have sample album designs in it. Its more mobile then the 5 sample albums i would have to carry around. Its my business calendar, email and wordpress app keeps my blog up to date. I frequent a number of forums with it and watch movies, Tv shows or webcast while i run on the treadmill (daily). When my wife gets one she sits in her favorite chair and facebooks and browses her favorite sites. Its used probably close to 6 solid hours a day. Yeah, there isnt a WebOS app that helps you pick out the best carpet for your garage like the IPad probably has, but I dont need one of those.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    My biggest complaint was the TERRIBLE battery life of the tp. .
    I am interested what you consider good battery life?

I routinely get over 8 hours of use on a charge and if I try by dimming the screen and using a conservative profile in govnah much more than that. I expected a device with true multitasking to be a bit of a battery hog, my experience is just the opposite.

I expect the battery in the TP to hold capacity well over time, given my experience with other HP devices.
    Yeah but those iPads you got will only run iOS. By selling your Touchpad you are missing out on the exciting* culture of being able to switch between Android ICS and webOS. Heck, one day you might even get to install openwebOS on it!
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  10. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I am interested what you consider good battery life?

I routinely get over 8 hours of use on a charge and if I try by dimming the screen and using a conservative profile in govnah much more than that. I expected a device with true multitasking to be a bit of a battery hog, my experience is just the opposite.

I expect the battery in the TP to hold capacity well over time, given my experience with other HP devices.
    My battery life is more than expected. I can go days without charging it. I guess just the opposite from your experience.

I am another person who just doesn't get the whole app thing. Ipad has a million apps, but so what. How many can you really use if any? I use my tpad for email, browser, facebook, weather, NHL updates, work presentations. skype, music, pictures, etc.. I agree it does not have an app for real time carpet deals, but do you really need that. The OS is so much better than IOS. I will gladly give up a few needless apps for a better OS. Just my opinion.
    suprolla, etphoto and Vistaus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Excellent point. I picked up a launch day TP and not disapointed in my purchase. Admittedly, i am not one of those that frequently change devices and apps like most change underwear. I've never understood the app crazed posters. There is NO physical way they could continually use the apps they claim they want. There isnt enough hours in the day. I have a friend that has an IPod and everytime i see her she is touting about some new app she had found. I ask her about using the app she downloaded the week before and the others she downloaded before then. She just sits there and shrugs saying she doesnt use them as much anymore. My guess is she dont use them at all.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I agree completely, I constantly forget to use or don't get enough use out of the apps I have on phone and TouchPad. I understand the desire for certain specific apps, but there are plenty of apps on webOS.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Vistaus, geekpeter and etphoto like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    I sold my 32 gb fire sale tp on Saturday for $185 on Craigslist. That included a $20 case. With tax I paid $160 for it at bestbuy SO I only made back my money. I probably had 4 or 5 offers in the week I had it advertised and most were in the same price ballpark with one or two lowball offers. I only bought it because of the fire sale frenzy. Because I had iPads I used it very little. I thought webos is some ways was better than iOS. BUT the tp is a dead tablet. Hp is in trouble. The promises of support are pie in the sky. It's really a toy for hackers with no amenities and few apps. My biggest complaint was the TERRIBLE battery life of the tp. And it is very unsophisticated. It's like pre ipad1. I'm not here to slam it but if anyone thinking of dumping I would' do it now or it will be a worthless doorstop especially when the one year hp warranty expires this summer with no future hardware support. It is a shame but that is the reality. I added a little over $100 that I got for my tp and bought a used ipad2 with 3G in mint condition with warranty remaining from apple as a backup to the new iPad I will buy on Friday .
    Uh huh. A worthless doorstop whose terrible battery lasts through a full day of use, that you can use to check and send email, do facebook and twitter, read books, listen to music, watch videos, play games on (and also do most things other Android tablets can do if you invest half an hour of your time loading on CM9) that you only paid $150 for. What a horrible horrible deal you got, what a painfully useless product. How awful that it's not as good as the iPad 2 - the designers should all be taken out back, lined up against the wall, and shot.

Pardon the excessive sarcasm, but I think you're being more than a little ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    I sold my 32 gb fire sale tp on Saturday for $185 on Craigslist. That included a $20 case.
    My friend just sold his $99 16GBs last week for $170 apiece (no case included), paid $106 including tax for the original items.

Luck of the draw buddy.
    My "terrible" battery life usually lasts me from 4:30AM when I leave my house until 5 or 6 at night. Music Remix, Twitter, email, (and just recently my text messages....I don't use my phone for those much anymore) and web browsing is mostly all I use it for (and pretty much all I have used it for). Someone mentioned "there's ONLY so much browsing you can do with one of these.....owning one of these since day one, I haven't reached that point yet......mind you not like I'm browsing for 12 hours a day.....I do have this thing called work that gets in the way.

I have had ZERO desire to watch movies, tv shows etc on it, mainly because of winter. If I'm at home, I'll watch those sort of things on my tv. I'm sure once the seasons change, I'll be more inclined to use my TouchPad out on the deck, or in my hammock, or wherever, but it's simply too cold to go outside still.

I still do not get NETFLIX. I tried it the first time it was out in Canada about a year ago. I thought the selections were rather poor. I tried another trial membership recently, and think the same thing. No NETFLIX, is no loss for me.

I've tried both CM7 and CM9, both since removed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Maybe I'll try them again, and maybe I won't. I don't know.

Starting with a 6612mAh battery and down to 6017mAh, with extreme daily use since I got it, I think I got my money's worth out of this tablet. (even with a warping case and a hairline crack by the speakers I just found)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I got a 10" 32-Gbyte dual-core CPU tablet for $150 that does most of the things I wanted to do with a tablet. WebOS has been fine for me, but If it dies I'll just switch to Android. If I wanted to sell the tablet before its useful hardware life is over in a few years, I'm sure I'd get what I paid for it. What's to complain about?
    I use my Touchpad daily; my wife is now using hers regularly; my son is CONSTANTLY on his; my two daughters are using theirs to Skype...

There are some programs I would like to have (Netflix being one) and a better word processor, but overall, I am quite happy. I don't just use it for games and e-mail; I use it for work regularly.

I also ended up with about 5 extra (order confusion), which I was able to sell each of them for $100 above what I paid. To say that they are useless says more about the person than the Touchpad.

One other note: did anyone see that the Ipad 3 is "bigger and heavier" than the Ipad 2? What was all that hoopla about the Touchpad being "too heavy and too big"?
    Yeah, I am right there with you. This thing is a piece of garbage. Mine won't cook dinner for me. Mine won't nurse me back to health when I am sick. Mine won't give me sexxxy time. About the only good thing I can say about mine is that it won't constantly nag me if I am not giving it enough attention...
    bluenote likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Uh huh. A worthless doorstop whose terrible battery lasts through a full day of use, that you can use to check and send email, do facebook and twitter, read books, listen to music, watch videos, play games on (and also do most things other Android tablets can do if you invest half an hour of your time loading on CM9) that you only paid $150 for. What a horrible horrible deal you got, what a painfully useless product. How awful that it's not as good as the iPad 2 - the designers should all be taken out back, lined up against the wall, and shot.

Pardon the excessive sarcasm, but I think you're being more than a little ridiculous.
    i agree. someone better beat this guy up so he feels better. time to get mugged!
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

If I'm reading the OP right, his main point isn't "I should have gotten a bunch of profit" but rather "If you aren't really happy with your TP and thinking about switching, the time to sell is now because the market is shrinking". Which seems fair enough.

That said, I looked on CL the other night after I was heady with the installation of CM9 and everyone still wanted ~$200 for the 16gb model so maybe your market is individually depressed for TP sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    If I'm reading the OP right, his main point isn't "I should have gotten a bunch of profit" but rather "If you aren't really happy with your TP and thinking about switching, the time to sell is now because the market is shrinking". Which seems fair enough.
    It's one thing to say "the future looks bleak, it doesn't meet my needs, so I'm bailing while I can at least get what I paid for it". But the whole riffing on about the bad battery life (as if!), and the shortcomings, which he should have been aware of when he bought it, and were very clearly (and well in my opinion) accounted for in the ultra-low firesale price, is a bit much.

If he'd paid the full sticker price and didn't get a credit for the difference, then it would be a different story (apart from that thing about the battery life), But at $150??? come on...
    Vistaus and UbuntuIsGreat like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast