Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Yeah but those iPads you got will only run iOS. By selling your Touchpad you are missing out on the exciting* culture of being able to switch between Android ICS and webOS. Heck, one day you might even get to install openwebOS on it!
    I'm waiting for the day when people will be modding android devices so they can install webos on them.
    I'm no rocket scientist, but anyone complaining about battery life on a touchpad is smoking crack!
    jpash549 likes this.
    I'm using webOS too on both my Touchpad and Pre 3.
    The battery life on the TP is awesome. I use it at school. I'm an ICT-student. I even overclocked my TP to 1,7 GHz with Govnah, so it drains a bit more, but I still get through a whole day. I work on it, Twitter a lot, Facebook some and just surf the web a lot (and forums) and other basic stuff like e-mail, doodling, e-book reading, gaming (mainly Angry Birds and Assasins' Creed) etc. And I also have my Touchpad Wireless Keyboard connected so that also drains a bit more. I leave early in the morning for school and it is at about 15% before I go to sleep around midnight. So it lasts a full day. That really is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    I sold my 32 gb fire sale tp on Saturday for $185 on Craigslist. ... SO I only made back my money.
    if you got all you're money back for hell i'd count myself lucky and move on. Electronics rarely hold much value long after they are bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    BUT the tp is a dead tablet. Hp is in trouble. The promises of support are pie in the sky. It's really a toy for hackers with no amenities and few apps. My biggest complaint was the TERRIBLE battery life of the tp.
    Battery life is hard to know before you buy and reports on battery life in reviews I rarely find accurate to real world use.

That being said all those other things you mention seem to be obvious at the time you bought the device so it's hard for me to have a ton of sympathy. The touchpad is dead? No kidding, HP is in trouble? Duh, anyone following them for a few years knows they are having issues. Hell HP in trouble is a material reason why they bought Palm in the first and a material reason in why they couldn't afford to keep taking losses on Touchpads that weren't selling. You bought a firesale device after the company said they would stop making devices in that line of product. If you expected apps, especially if you've been around for the 2 years of the slow *** molasses trickle of webos apps i'd say you did nothing but fool yourself. That it's a tinkering devices? Yeah probably. Again seems to me you should have known that. I did. Now lots of people will take offense to that and say it's not but I would say, "yeah it is but really you should have known it was because it was kinda obvious that that's where the only development would come, the tinkering/hacking community, when the company says "we aren't making more webos devices." But you bought it anyways. The mere fact that you complain that you didn't make a profit shows me that you are not the most informed person about the concept of depreciation. It sounds to me you made a poorly thought out purchase. To me that's your own fault.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    sledge007 and p41m3r like this.
    My battery life is more than expected. I can go days without charging it. I guess just the opposite from your experience..
    You misread. The TP has excellent battery life. I use my TP as a replacement for my netbook when I travel, mainly running ubuntu with a bunch of webOS apps running in the background and a Bluetooth keyboard. Eight hours of battery life under heavy use is impressive. I do light duty data visualization on the device using R and qgis, surprised it even runs on the arm chip.

If I just use it for light duty, email, facebook, and such, the charge lasts days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    One other note: did anyone see that the Ipad 3 is "bigger and heavier" than the Ipad 2? What was all that hoopla about the Touchpad being "too heavy and too big"?
    C'mon now, who cares about anything anymore when you're getting a 2048x1536 screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    C'mon now, who cares about anything anymore when you're getting a 2048x1536 screen.
    I dunno...I thought the iPad 2 screen quality was already great, and so if I was doing the iPad thing I wouldn't upgrade just for the screen alone. Maybe if I was always downloading large files the 4GLTE would make it a worthy upgrade.

That may just be me though - I mean, I'm the guy who hasn't bothered to upgrade to a Blu-ray DVD player as I think standard definition is good enough, and I refuse to pay extra to get my cable signal in HD.
    2048x1536 for an UI that is "optimized" for thick fat fingers smearing over screen instead of small tip, Note-like Stili that actually enable you to take advantage of such resolutions besides watching videos or looking at photos. Wasting screen estate for a dumbed-down finger-only interface - No, thanks.
    "On ComScore's smartphone market share chart, Nokia's Symbian comes in dead last at 0.5% of the market. Somewhere below that are a few holdout open-source WebOS users who just can't let their dream go." -- Jason Notte // thestreet
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    And the comments here show why the ipad 3 is going to be such a flop.
    I like webOS for the plain and simple fact it does what i wanted, its why i paid the full price for an early touchpad to test webOS land before i tried a phone (i had a poxy samsung clamshell feature phone for ages), i did my research beforehand (coz it cost a lot originally) and found it did what i want which was.

. . . . . .

1) Very Amiga like "free to do whatever" OS that your average bedroom programmer can mess with. (Preware being the prime example, feels like scouring the old aminet for goodies and treasure).

2) Wasnt closed in fortress of doom like Apple and Sony products, i dispise those because you can only use what they dictate (unless u wanna void warrantys etc on er "fixing" them up, and even then plenty can go wrong).

3) Simple to use, nice, fast and easy method of flipping between apps, closing them, etc etc

4) Your a bit different to all the other zombie like sheep out there that try to tell you they know best and to follow suit with them.

5) Not plastered with adware/craptastic garbage.

6) Probably plenty more reasons but i prefer the first 2 as gospel.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    And the comments here show why the ipad 3 is going to be such a flop.
    Would you spend the money to upgrade from the 2 to the new iPad?
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    With the $200 buy-back rebate they are offering? maybe - however I would expect that the majority of upgrades will be from ipad 1 to 3 and then 2 owners will upgrade to 4 when it arrives? surely that is the pattern apple expects?

Having said that, as someone who have never owned an apple device beyond a shuffle, I am tempted to use the cash I get from selling my touchpad to get an ipad 3 to see what it's like.
    I dont see the point of it tbh, ppl making a fuss of teh new screen res, but its not like the old ones garbage, in most reviews they compare screenshots in some massive zoomed in mode to show the difference which may mean something while zoomed (and my eyeballs dont have a zoom function im aware of) in but at normal vision its hardly a must have upgrade issue.

Theres also mention of its new mpixel cameras etc, well even if it had a 100mp camera, im still not gonna use a tablet to take photos tbh, so again pointless.

Theres still plenty it cant do, and wont do, stuck in their little apple sandcastle, ill stick to webOS tbh, im not 1 to scream "oooooh bigger screen, GIMMEH", tho i suppose theres plenty that will just to keep up to date with all the other cool kids in tek-land.
    Odd to mention battery life, my Touchpad at 1.5ghz gets better battery life than my stock ipad2.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    They might as well include bifocals with that much resolution fitting onto a small screen.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Odd to mention battery life, my Touchpad at 1.5ghz gets better battery life than my stock ipad2.
    I'm a TouchPad fanatic, but I would never say anything like that -- since the iPad 2 has pretty much no multitasking ability, and when you smart-cover it, it goes to an incredibly low power state .. and even at maximum battery drain, the current drain on the iPad battery isn't as much as it is on a TouchPad battery .. there's pretty much no comparison. The iPad 2's battery lifetime absolutely eats the TouchPad for lunch.

That said, I'm quite happy with the TouchPad's battery lifetime, except when I have to be away from a charger and have to use it continuously for more than 8 hrs.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Nope. i would not but i don't have an ipad at all. But then again, i don't want a tablet. Were i to buy one it would be my first. My mother has an ipad 1 though. I'm sure there are more then enough people that either don't have an ipad at all or only have an ipad 1 that want to upgrade. Not to mention considering reports that they have unprecedented demand i'm sure they'll do just fine. Personally i'm not buying one though.

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    in most reviews they compare screenshots in some massive zoomed in mode to show the difference which may mean something while zoomed (and my eyeballs dont have a zoom function im aware of) in but at normal vision its hardly a must have upgrade issue.
    I think there is a noticeable difference between a normal display and a retina display at normal reading distances. They show zoomed in pictures to demonstrate the point that the retina display has smaller denser pixels and thus at normal viewing you don't see pixelation like you could on older screens.

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Theres still plenty it cant do, and wont do, stuck in their little apple sandcastle, ill stick to webOS tbh, .
    Sure. That argument easily cuts both ways however and cuts much much deeper it the argument is about the things the touchpad can't do because of the box it's in, the webos ecosystem box. Don't get me wrong. i'm not saying there's something wrong with your touchpad merely that most devices have things they can't do and touchpad is clearly no exception. Those things just are not something that will keep you from using it.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 03/15/2012 at 11:17 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Apples displays kinda kick the crap out of all the competition. However, multitasking is important for some people.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Ever since I've gotten myself the HP Touchpad(during the Firesale), always wanted to try overclock my tablet HP Touchpad device with the processor speed of 1.5GHZ. The only thing that really makes me not want to do that, is that maybe the battery life on my HP touchpad will suffer dramatically. Specially the battery life on the HP TouchPad doesn't seem that great to begin with, putting a faster clocking speed on processor will probably eat the battery away quickly. But I seen a lot of YouTube videos that shows, some big improvements when it comes to opening applications and performance. So tempted to overclock my TouchPad, to see the speed difference but I fear that it could somehow damage my TouchPad.

However, I never found myself quite that interested in installing on Touchpad specially the preware software on my tablet device. Since I'm not a expert in hacking things, I always tended to stir away from things(like jailbreaking) that I have no knowledge about.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Nope. i would not but i don't have an ipad at all. But then again, i don't want a tablet. Were i to buy one it would be my first. My mother has an ipad 1 though. I'm sure there are more then enough people that either don't have an ipad at all or only have an ipad 1 that want to upgrade. Not to mention considering reports that they have unprecedented demand i'm sure they'll do just fine. Personally i'm not buying one though.
    For personal use, I'm still not convinced by tablets - after I sell my touchpad, I might get a ipad3 simply to see if I get more use out of it. Nine times out of ten even when at home, I was reaching for laptop rather than my touchpad - it mostly sat under the coffee table.

Quote Originally Posted by eblade
    Apples displays kinda kick the crap out of all the competition. However, multitasking is important for some people.
    Multitasking is maybe the final advantage that WebOS has over the other OSes but HP needs to move fast because come sept, if the other android OEMs haven't ripped off Samsung's new way of multi-tasking on android I'll be amazed.
    Last edited by CGK; 03/16/2012 at 07:23 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast