1.    #1  
    It is like new and hardly used at all. That being said, it is registered in the seller's name on the device info page. It seems that there is a usb/cable/power issue and HP WEBOS chat support is telling me the do a Delete Apps step. I am trying to get back to what I will call the "very beginning" as though I just bought this device at the store brand new and registered in my name. I do have an hp webos acct from my palm pre days. Can someone please tell me the exact steps I need to take.........full erase vs secure full erase, etc......thank you very much.
    Secure Full Erase. Reboot. Enter Palm Profile information.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    go to
    device info
    reset options
    secure full erase

when that is done log in with your old palm profile.

Unfortunately, you will need "charging" cable ability (not USB) in order to download the wifi file sharing package that will let you sync over wifi to your computer and bypass the need to connect via USB. If your cable does not work, try another one.

To get preware type webos20090606 into your just type bar and enable developer mode (do not type in a password!). swipe the developer card away.
    Then install webos quick install on your computer and connect the touchpad in "charging" mode. That should let you download preware and other packages such as the wifi file sharing package. There is a sticky also in the touchpad forum also with some useful tips for first time owners.
  4.    #4  
    I forgot to mention that the previous owner had it set up so it will boot using CM.....not sure how to tell what version. But it does seem to work flawlessly.
  5.    #5  
    I assume the secure erase will do away with the CM. Am I correct? I am just learning this thing, and would hope to not have to reinstall the CM os. Seems to work flawlessly. Thanks for all the help.
    If it doesn't give you an option to boot into webOS at startup, you will need to restore that option. Google with webosnation is your friend. As you can already see, you need to have to access to webOS in order to troubleshoot.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    If it doesn't give you an option to boot into webOS at startup, you will need to restore that option. Google with webosnation is your friend. As you can already see, you need to have to access to webOS in order to troubleshoot.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. It will dual boot with no issues. I have done so quite a few times. I just want to be very careful with erasing, as I do not want to erase the CM Android os. So, it seems my most pressing question is "will a full erase (secure or not)" do away with the CM Android os that the previous owner put on the TP? Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by h8hoos View Post
    I assume the secure erase will do away with the CM. Am I correct? I am just learning this thing, and would hope to not have to reinstall the CM os. Seems to work flawlessly. Thanks for all the help.
    None of the erases including the webOS doctor will touch the CM stuff. Worst case Moboot settings get changed up but that can be fixed with the Cyboot app. Due note that the secure erase will take a while so dont freak if it looks like its not doing a thing.
    Last edited by addiarmadar; 03/12/2012 at 01:59 PM.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  9.    #9  
    also, when I started to do a Secure Full Erase I got the message :" Important: Your HP webOS Account email address is abc.def@gmail.com (the previous owner). You need it to restore your backed up data to your device."

Is this a problem? I do not need to back up anything from the previous owner that I know of.

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    That is not a problem, just ignore it.

Alan
  11.    #11  
    Well.....I did the full erase thing and it seems to have worked just fine. Took more than 20 minutes. and my dual boot option with CM os is still there. but, I am still having the charging issues (very,very,very slow.....overnight about 10+hrs got me to about 60%). HP chat support says to send it in, still under warranty, and they will fix it. Is there any reason to not send it in? I'm wondering how they look (down) upon the CM os stuff. will CM still be there when I get it back? If not, I guess I will look around this site (today is my first day) and figure out how to re-install it.

thanks for all the help.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Send it in. You have nothing to lose.

However, the slow charging may be because you don't have a TouchPad charger, but a normal micro-USB charger.

Alan
    Are you trying to charge it from the adapter that comes with the touchpad or another source? It has a "trickle" mode that it uses when its plugged into anything other than the original adapter that it came with. This will cause it to take a very long time if ever to fully charge...
    It seems that he is trying to charge the TouchPad with other than the Barrel Charger that is supplied with it. There is probably nothing wrong with the TouchPad.

See the TouchPad Accessories Forum where there are reports of Barrel Chargers available at reasonable prices. HP TouchPad AC Adapter - Walmart.com
    If not, you can always use a modified Apple Charger as described in this thread:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3242472
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    It seems that he is trying to charge the TouchPad with other than the Barrel Charger that is supplied with it. There is probably nothing wrong with the TouchPad.

See the TouchPad Accessories Forum where there are reports of Barrel Chargers available at reasonable prices. HP TouchPad AC Adapter - Walmart.com
    If not, you can always use a modified Apple Charger as described in this thread:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3242472
    I am using the original HP Barrel Charger and also the original HP usb cord. I have tried another usb cord with the same results. Based on my reading (google) it seems there is an issue with some devices concerning the port where the usb cord connects to the TP. All I know is that it is slow charging, and I have tried various outlets and also 2 usb cords.

Thank you all for your help and ideas. I think sending it in (no charge) is what I will do. I am a little concerned about losing my CM os that seems to work perfectly (as does the WebOS). Guess I will find out soon enough. Thanks again.
    If you lose the dual boot as a result of whatever they do you can always get it back by going through whatever steps are outlined from the developers who designed the stuff to dual boot android (cyanogenmod 9). I'm using CM9 on my samsung epic (the one with the HW KB). I'm assuming a similar method of loading it on the android devices is used to load it on the TP. I've been contemplating dualbooting my TP just for the curiousity of having ICS on a tablet. Personally I prefer webOS and hope sooner than later we will have top notch webOS smartphones again. So that I can have webOS on my smartphone too. Unless with open webOS we can make it work on my epic. Wouldn't that be something with all these android devices if we could put webOS on them there would be no need for immediate manufacture support for official webOS devices.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.