Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By fxspec06
  1.    #1  
    Greetings guys!

I'm getting my tenderloin TouchPad hopefully on tuesday/wednesday, and I have a tons, TONS of questions.
    <<auto-correct fixed by staff - LOL>>
    I'm going to use WebOS for primary OS, and I want to watch TV Shows on it. Is there any players with subtitle support?
    With 2-3 daily episodes(20mins) and some e-book reading, and playing on Android(max 1,5hrs), and listening to some music, browsing web(1 hours approx.) can my battery survive ~10 hours, if I just go to Android when I need to? I will have the Wi-Fi 16GB version.
    Does the tethering work from iPhone(3GS) to the TP on bluetooth, or I need an another app to tether?
    Is there any torrent client on WebOS?
    If I don't have a credit card(I have, but it's not enabled for internet purchases) can I download apps from preware, or is there any place of "pirated" version of apps? I only need something to read ebooks.
    Is there any tweak to get more multitasking gestures?
    Can I use skype on WebOS normally? I read somewhere that the microphone is "crackling" is that true? (Skype with a PC friend)
    Does the WebOS keyboard can be split? You know, like this.
    Thanks for the answers.

habergowd
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/11/2012 at 01:24 PM.
    Welcome to webOS Nation.

1. KalemSoft Media Player has subtitle support, but I would suggest going to their thread and making sure of the formats available. I don't watch subtitled movies, so I not 100% on what works and what doesn't.

2. My TouchPad lasts well over 10 hours/day, I have the bigger of the two batteries that they were made with (6612 mAh), and I keep my screen brightness as low as possible.

3. If your iPhone sends out a WiFi tethering signal, you should be able to tether to it.

4. There are torrent control clients, but nothing that will download directly to your TouchPad. You can search and download to your PC, start/stop sharing etc.

5. You do not need a credit card for Preware. It is completely free. This is not the place to be asking for pirated apps, or where to get them. All posts asking these types of questions will be reported and deleted.

6. There are a few apps with built in gestures, but not many tweaks. Maybe in a few months once more source code is released to the Open Source project.

7. Skype works for some and doesn't for others. I barely use Skype, so not a good person to ask.

8. Yes there is split keyboard, you can find several keyboard layout patches here http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html

Feel free to ask questions, and don't forget about the Search function. Chances are your questions have already been asked and answered here in the Forums.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. I wanted to say that I don't have a credit card for the App Catalog!
    Pre-paid credit cards will work in the catalog, you have to make sure that you register them first with your info.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakko View Post
    I think CM9 makes the touchpad a much better video player. The market has a ton of high quality video apps that supports subtitles and most are free.

Ebook reading is much better on CM9 also. I think webOS has one ereader and it isn't that good since I never got it to work and there is a beta kindle client that is lacking in features such as a dictionary.

There are torrent clients for CM9 that lets you download to the touchpad. uTorrent is also coming soon. WebOS has torrent remotes but you can simply use the browser to control torrents instead of paying for one.

If you don't have a card I wouldn't bother buying webOS apps. Almost everything on it can be got for free on tenderloin. That's just my 2 cents.
    Okay, thanks. Someone said that the CM9's battery life is much lower, and I don't want to always reboot. I live in Hungary, there is NO chance to pay online with my credit card.

Anyway, thanks for the answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by habergowd View Post
    Okay, thanks. Someone said that the CM9's battery life is much lower, and I don't want to always reboot. I live in Hungary, there is NO chance to pay online with my credit card.

I can't see much difference in battery life with webOS and CM9 ICS Alpha 2. However, I have a Touchstone Charger for it. I always place it on the Touchstone when not in use.

As for Skype, I have used it and found it to be acceptable. The resolution leaves a bit to desire, however. Your Internet connection will also make a major difference.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by habergowd View Post

Get a prepaid credit card setup in the US or some other country where the catalog works properly, do a full erase on your TouchPad, and create a new webOS account for the country where that credit card is out of.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Try both webOS and Android before you decide on which you will use most, you might be surprised.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Get a prepaid credit card setup in the US or some other country where the catalog works properly, do a full erase on your TouchPad, and create a new webOS account for the country where that credit card is out of.
    webOS you pay upfront for the app that the dev spent time developing. Android you do not pay upfront but many times you grant the dev access to your personal information which they sell to advertisers. Nothing is free. Your personal information is shielded from apps on webOS.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Plus you are shielded because most of the apps you might want are not available.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    nice signature. lmao

*resume thread*
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

though I don't use subtitles. I don't agree cm9 is better for playing video. Kalemsoft media player and touchplayer are both pretty good at playing everything I have thrown at them.

My personal "e book reading". Is usually done by the pdf reader that I ran the patch on. Without the patch its useless, but with it it at least works. A few buddies of mine say they use the amazon beta on the touchpad and like it...
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for all the answers. Bad thing that I don't get my TP tomorrow.
    fyi,
    my favorite new app is wifi file sharing (available in preware i think). I was able to hook up my phone and my touchpad files to the tv with this app via windows file sharing. I used WD live streaming player to do this. I do not have to keep any software on my mac running to enable this.