Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By addiarmadar
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Hey guys Ive had a dead HP TouchPad since about September. I should have sent it into HP to get a new one, but was too lazy so now I don't have a warranty anymore.

Usually what would happen is I could leave it charging for hours. The little line on the home button would move left to right when it was charging. I would then hold the power button and it would show the little battery icon with the zig zag electricity symbol and then immediately turn off again. It would do this no matter how long I would leave it charged. I left it charging over night once and still nothing changed. Well, several months later I wanna give it another shot and installing android if I ever get it to turn on.

Also, the charger is fine...Ive twisted and everything else to make sure its working. It charges everything else I own up just fine so its definitely not the charger. I've also tried other chargers to no avail.

When I plug it into my computer it'll almost recognize it and say that its installing drivers but then says installation failed.

I'm really at a loss here because I enjoyed my Touchpad alot but damn thing seemed to die out on me after a single month.

If you guys have any suggestions, Im all ears. Thanks.
    By any chance could you gain access to a touchstone charger to try on this device?
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Hi, it appears it was under warranty after all. I got it sent off today. It comes with a UPS bag which I managed to jack up so I just sent the tablet in the box with the label on the box. Do you guys think HP will give me any trouble because of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakhota View Post
    Hi, it appears it was under warranty after all. I got it sent off today. It comes with a UPS bag which I managed to jack up so I just sent the tablet in the box with the label on the box. Do you guys think HP will give me any trouble because of that?
    Possibly but that would be tick for tat. There is a chance that it could arrive with cosmetic damage. I dont think they will auto-reject for not following their procedures but there is a chance they could do out of warranty clause so just keep tabs with the SRO they gave you.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    My wife's Touchpad had the same issue 2 weeks ago and we sent it in for warrenty repair. The good thing is we got the same tablet back and not a refurbished one. The bad thing is they had to do a full wipe and restore of the OS. Since I could not get it to turn on or be recognized as a USB drive before we sent it back, we lost the few spreadsheets we had on it. Frustrating, but at least we have it back and running.
    Palm M105--->Palm Tungsten T--->Palm Treo 650--->Palm Centro--->Palm Pre--->Palm iPhone4s (damnit)

Touchpad (launch day)
    Is there a way to tell? Had same scenario and want to check..
    Have issue with mine just recently, won't turn on, won't charge, won't reset. Went to HPs support page and did an on-line chat with "Rufus." Although he sounded a lot like a "bot" at first it was pretty easy to explain what the problem was and that I had already tried all of the power-up and reset options. Sending a box for warranty repair.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Mine will be returned to me by noon tomorrow. I'm impressed by HPs professionalism. They sent the tablet back Next Day Air which they didn't have to do. Really quick work. Touch pad may have issues but its good to know HP stands behind their products and makes it right.

Sure can't wait to put ICS on.
    I'm glad that you guys had better luck with HP's service. I picked up a couple of the refurbs in December for my daughters (after having earlier purchased a brand new one). Taken perfect care, been in HP case since minute 1. Put one on the Touchstone charger last night (turned on) and when picked up this morning, it was turned off. Dead, for no reason. Confirmed by HP chat support, it needs repair - for $235 - almost 50% more than what I paid. Why paid service? Because I am 10 days out of warranty. While I logically I understand the need for set warranty periods, emotionally I am more than a little upset and probably won't buy any more HP products. ever.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I've a similar issue, I've got my TP imported from US last month, it was with my friend from the time(september, 2011) I bought it from onsale.com. Before shipping it to me he tested everything out & everything was O.K, but when I received it the charger(cylindrical didn't work even after trying it twisted so that it locked or settles in correctly) from then on I'm charging my TP by connecting it to computer through USB, two days before I went to some other place & forgot to turn off my TP before going. Today when I came back & try to turn it on it was completely out of charge. So, I connected it to computer, the home button lit up with the light moving from left to right, after 20 minutes or so, I got a screen which showed the little battery icon with the zig zag electricity symbol, & immediately (within a second or two) I'm getting a screen with Power Plug symbol below which there was some text "For reliable charge please use the cable & the charger that came with your device"(it is being shown in different languages). And In a second the screen dims out & then in a second or two TP shuts down. I tried charging it again but this time it stays with the home button indicating it is charging for 2-min max & the screen with zigzag symbol, then the power plug symbol with text and then it shuts down. The same loop continues even after I tried with the chargers with less than 2amp output. So, now Do I Need To Send My TP to HP for service or is there any chance of getting it revived, as it will be very difficult to send it for service from India to US. Any third party chargers with 2Amp output will work with TP?(read that most of them don't work).
    Quote Originally Posted by st_7 View Post
    I've a similar issue, I've got my TP imported from US last month, it was with my friend from the time(september, 2011) I bought it from onsale.com. Before shipping it to me he tested everything out & everything was O.K, but when I received it the charger(cylindrical didn't work even after trying it twisted so that it locked or settles in correctly) from then on I'm charging my TP by connecting it to computer through USB, two days before I went to some other place & forgot to turn off my TP before going. Today when I came back & try to turn it on it was completely out of charge. So, I connected it to computer, the home button lit up with the light moving from left to right, after 20 minutes or so, I got a screen which showed the little battery icon with the zig zag electricity symbol, & immediately (within a second or two) I'm getting a screen with Power Plug symbol below which there was some text "For reliable charge please use the cable & the charger that came with your device"(it is being shown in different languages). And In a second the screen dims out & then in a second or two TP shuts down. I tried charging it again but this time it stays with the home button indicating it is charging for 2-min max & the screen with zigzag symbol, then the power plug symbol with text and then it shuts down. The same loop continues even after I tried with the chargers with less than 2amp output. So, now Do I Need To Send My TP to HP for service or is there any chance of getting it revived, as it will be very difficult to send it for service from India to US. Any third party chargers with 2Amp output will work with TP?(read that most of them don't work).
    try a charger for the kindle if you can. I use my kindle charger I interchangeably with kindle and touchpad. I would just order a new stock charger first before sending my touchpad back. I once let mine discharge completely, and I had to charge it over night before it worked properly. Good luck