Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I bought a TP during the great firesale of 2011. At the time, it was a steal (still is). I love WebOS. And despite the limited Apps and support, I have been a happy camper for the last 6 months. However, my needs are changing, and WebOS isn't., at least fast enough. I am not in need of many apps to play games. I never even played Angry Birds. I am more of a reader and entertainment consumer, and here lies my frustration. So I am thinking of ditching the TP while I can still get at least my money back. Unless, you fine folks can talk me off the ledge.

First of all, the lack of newpaper apps is frustrating. Also, I use Kindle alot. I have a Kindle, but would like to not two devices on a trip. And the TP Kindle app is limited. No magazine support either. Zinio is disappointing too, as many of my magazines I purchased are blurry halfway into the magazine. The RSS feeders do not take many of the available websites I visit for some reason. So really, I am limited to the web browser for a large % of my reading. As far as media is concerned, no Netflix, no HBO Go, No Xfinity. And very limited pod-casting options. So the Touchpad is slightly better than cradling my 14" laptop in my arms. These are my main frustrations.

I was at Best Buy, and the recommendation is to try the Kindle Fire, Blackberry Playbook, or just take the plunge and get a Ipad 2 before the "3" drops and it is pulled from the shelves.

I have been reading up about dual booting Android. But will this be an improvement? What more in apps can I get? Also, I have looked into the Preware app section, but, no offense, seems like a lot of junk. I know WebOs is supposed to go "open source", but it seems a good distance away before anything substantial develops.

So what do you guys recommend? I read these forums a lot, but this is my first post. Any advice would be helpful...Thx
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Imo, dual booting Android would be a lot better then the fire. You'll be able to get everything you could on the fire on a more powerful device with more storage. I wouldn't even consider the playbook, as it is going down fast.

As for apps, you can get preatty much anything you want in Android, you can see for yourself on the Android market, amazon app store, etc.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Before you throw it away (or sell it to me at a nice price ), try putting Android CM9 on it and see if that makes it any better.

I have to say I think the WebOS Kindle app is nicer than the Android one though (although I don't subscribe to magazines)

Alan
    First of all, the recommendation to get an iPad 2 before the 3 drops and it is pulled from the sells is pretty bad advice. When the iPad 3 drops, the iPad 2's price is most likely going to be reduced, and even if it were to disappear from all the physical stores right away, you could still buy one online. Also, it's likely the 3 will be pretty much the same price as the 2 is now, so if you do decide to go Apple it makes sense to just wait a few days and buy the 3.

I would suggest you try CM9. It really opens up a whole new world of apps, and yes Kindle works, Netflix does too, (albeit with a little bug that freezes the screen when you drag the slider to fast forward through a movie), but if you minimize and then bring it back it picks up where it left off. I don't know if the HBO Go or Xfinity things work - I'll give the Xfinity a try and let you know. The good thing with trying CM9 is it won't cost you a penny, and it will likely keep you satisfied until later in the year when we have a better idea of what the outlook is for open webOS, and you can make your choice then. By then there will be even more options to choose from as well if you do decide to leave webOS.

Lastly, I would not recommend you go the Playbook route. The Playbook seems to be in a similar predicament as the TouchPad was, except that RIM has decided they're going to fight the good fight and try to turn it around rather than give up like HP did. So I'd say wait and see what happens with them before you buy one, or this time next year you might be posting the same question on the CrackBerry forums

One more thing - I use Zinio on my TP occasionally, and the blurry screen I experienced seemed to be as a result of the page rendering slowly, and it clears up after a couple seconds - does yours stay blurred?
    Unless you want a backup tablet go ahead and ditch it. My advice us buy an iPad. With the 3 out later thus week thd 2 is a goid deal. Ive had the 1 and the 2 nd getting the 3. Nothing beats these. I bought the tp at firesale 32gb $150. And its fine but i hardly use it. I do think webos is better in many ways then ios5. But the ipad does EVERYTHING.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Before you throw it away (or sell it to me at a nice price ), try putting Android CM9 on it and see if that makes it any better.

I have to say I think the WebOS Kindle app is nicer than the Android one though (although I don't subscribe to magazines)

Alan
    Where is the best (and easiest) directions for CM9? Also, can you use both WebOs and CM9? The only experience I have with Dual Boot is on my computer with Windows and Linux. Is this similar? I still would like to use WebOs too. Thanks...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post

One more thing - I use Zinio on my TP occasionally, and the blurry screen I experienced seemed to be as a result of the page rendering slowly, and it clears up after a couple seconds - does yours stay blurred?
    Yes, it stays blurry the whole time and does not correct over time. I have 4 magazines. Luckily I got them free. Two are fine, two get blurry about 10 pages in. Funny thing is that I bought two issues of the same mag. One is fine, the other isn't. Go figure.
    Put ICS CM9 on your TP now! ncinerate has made it ridiculously easy for you to do it with the step by step instructions. It will remove any doubts about TP you have now. I flip back and forth from webOS and ICS and loving it. Seriously, what tablet right now other than Transformer Prime (which Josh @ The Verge tore apart) gives you ICS WITH dual OS and all for a ridiculous firesale price? TP is not a perfect device but I'm loving my TP more and more everyday.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Put ICS CM9 on your TP now! ncinerate has made it ridiculously easy for you to do it with the step by step instructions. It will remove any doubts about TP you have now. I flip back and forth from webOS and ICS and loving it. Seriously, what tablet right now other than Transformer Prime (which Josh @ The Verge tore apart) gives you ICS WITH dual OS and all for a ridiculous firesale price? TP is not a perfect device but I'm loving my TP more and more everyday.
    Can you give me a link to where this is to get CM9? Thanks
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kobethecat View Post
    Can you give me a link to where this is to get CM9? Thanks

http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

That has everything you need to know to get started.

Edit Post install I would also install the amazon app store ( free paid app every day. Most suck, but they've had some good ones - http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-app...bosnation0e-20 ) . From the android market I would get Ad free android and addons detector.

Also, people new to android tend to get a little freaked out by the permissions. A great but long post that explains everything is here http://androidforums.com/android-app...g-malware.html
    Last edited by whocares69; 03/04/2012 at 06:44 PM.
    You bought your TP @ fireale so you obviously appreciate a good 'deal'.. Go the CM9 route!
    Hopefully both it and webOS will continue to improve "in the coming weeks, months & years"!
    And if you baulk at installation etc. I'm sure there's 20 people here that would willingly do it for you!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I recently installed Android CM9 on my TP. Alpha 2 is extremely stable and very useable. I now rarely boot into webOS - though it's nice to know that I always can. Transitioning to ICS was easy, I guess having replaced my dying Pre- with a Galaxy Nexus a few weeks ago helped. It was nice being able to install the same (paid) apps. My TouchPad is now almost like a brandnew tablet with (nearly) unlimited software available. I'm quite happy with it.
    I have tried dual booting my touchpad, splashtop is on sale however and I use it even more, has been my go to whenever webOS lacks an app. Remarkably easy to set up and everything works great as long as I have a decent WiFi/ tether speed. I think it may still be on sale for $4.99 and I paid 20 for it and thought it was a great deal. Might be worth a check
    Palm prē-ist.
    the things you describe seem to be all on ios. Put the touchpad on ebay, buy and an ipad 3, use ibooks or download the kindle app, use hbo, netflix and the others and be done with it. The only thing that should matter is does the device fit your needs not what anyone else thinks.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    the things you describe seem to be all on ios. Put the touchpad on ebay, buy and an ipad 3, use ibooks or download the kindle app, use hbo, netflix and the others and be done with it. The only thing that should matter is does the device fit your needs not what anyone else thinks.
    There also all on CM9 (except HBO, which will work eventually) which he can get without having to spend another 500$.
    I totally understand. I love my TP too, but the moment your needs outgrow it, you have to move on.

You might want to try using Android on the TP and wait for the ipad, or you could wait and see what tablets Microsoft releases later this year. Windows 8 is going to be fantastic on tablets. But you'll have to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    I have tried dual booting my touchpad, splashtop is on sale however and I use it even more, has been my go to whenever webOS lacks an app. Remarkably easy to set up and everything works great as long as I have a decent WiFi/ tether speed. I think it may still be on sale for $4.99 and I paid 20 for it and thought it was a great deal. Might be worth a check
    Yes.. one of the great advantages of Android CM9 over webOS, is the ready availabiility of (free) Apps (such as 'Splashtop') etc... If you look thoroughly, you can usually find such treats out there for no $'s whatsoever now too! Very $ensible!

"..And whatever you do, DON'T listen to the folks that recommend spending money on Splashtop for webOS as a reason to stick with the platform; it's absolutely no replacement for a good user experience and a capable operating system. Splashtop sucks down your local home bandwidth, to boot, so if you have monthly bandwidth caps like most people, that's a non-starter. Twice the bandwidth usage to watch or listen to something? No freakin' thanks.."

Well, that's right! Bandwidth isn't an issue for me at the moment luckily, so I greatly enjoy the flexibility of dual boot webOS//CM9 with free Splashtop on Android (not webOS!!!) to also access my PC with!

3-in-1.

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I never use the Kindle App as I own a Kindle and e-ink is essential for me for reading books.
    I find that tablets are better for reading .pdfs and news,but not for books (it's the weight plus the lcd screen).

Have you tried Zite for reading news and stuff like this? It's a very nice app.
    Why don't you try a Google reader app? If I remember correctly Nom Nom is the name and it does a decent job.
    Apart from that you can try Android and have many other choices. Why bother spending more money when you have not fully used your TP as a device?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I'd keep the TouchPad and enjoy CM9 and whatever webOS support emerges.

I have an iPad 2 and I still find myself using the TP daily. Horses for courses, etc.

I am actually giving the TP to the Mother In Law when she goes travelling and if she breaks it I'll hate her even more than now

A firesale TP was my best purchase and everyone that has used it has agreed, a rare thing ...
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast