Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
Like Tree5Likes
  1. #21  
    I'll throw down on the "try CM9 on the touchpad first" crowd.

    You already have one of the most powerful and best-specced tablets on the market. Why toss it to get something worse or equivalent?

    CM9 gives you ice-cream-sandwich android 4.0 on that highly-specced tablet. Install it and you instantly have access to almost everything you are missing. I use my ICS touchpad all the time to do many of the things you want to do, reading newspapers, using google currents (which is -amazing- and I love the fact that it allows offline reading), netflix, the list goes on and on and on.

    Buying a kindle fire would give you access to the same apps, with a less-capable processor, worse specs, and a smaller screen. Going with a playbook would give you a smaller screen, mostly less capable specs, and an android "compatability" layer that is less-than-perfect. Why would you do this? No android tablet on the market really gives you any benefit over the touchpad you already own (your touchpad outspecs virtually EVERYTHING out there right now, and runs the latest version of android - it's literally among the top-specced android tablets today).

    If money is no object obviously an ipad wouldn't be a bad choice (it's certainly capable of doing anything you care to do), but I can't personally find 500$ worth of reasons to upgrade. In the end, the ipad won't really do anything your touchpad can't once you install ICS and dual-boot (the few exceptions, like hbo-go support, should work fairly soon as CM9 development continues). I can putz around in webOS when I'm doing light-use couch-surfing, then 20 seconds later I can be rebooted completely into ICS (cm9). As it sits, I can mess around and edit a photo in photoshop touch with my stylus, kick into one of the latest 3d games if I feel like playing one, watch a streaming flash video, stream an HD flick from my home network, edit a document with collaborators in google docs, read the news, browse the web, print off my home printer, pair a bluetooth mouse/keyboard and use it like a mini-laptop, etc etc etc etc. Everything works beautifully and quickly with minimal issues even in the alpha, and it's only been getting more and more stable every day. It's just a damned smooth computing experience. What exactly would the extra 500$ for an ipad buy me? That's the question you'd need to ask yourself. If you can answer that in a tangible way that represents a serious benefit to you, shell out the cash.

    Course, we'll see what the IPAD 3 has to offer in a few days. Maybe it's something revolutionary you can't see yourself living without. Or, maybe it's an iPad 2 with a slightly higher resolution screen, slightly better GPU, and SIRI - all things that are nice but don't really change my feelings on "upgrading".
    Last edited by ncinerate; 03/05/2012 at 06:36 AM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    DeadVim, Eigan and rmeigs like this.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    I don't know if the HBO Go or Xfinity things work - I'll give the Xfinity a try and let you know.
    I downloaded the Xfinity app, and only a few of the features work at the moment (check email, voicemail, pay bill). The features you probably really want (on demand, TV guide) are not available in ICS yet, but a message says they're "Ice Cream Sandwich Support Coming Soon".
  3. #23  
    Just going to add to what I hope the you (the initial poster) have already figured out, CM9 is the way to go. It's easy to install following the instructions shown in this thread. If you have any problems, it's easy to find a resolution to the problem.

    And as you also have hopefully already seen, there is an enormous support community here and at XDA.

    CM9/ICS/Android 4.0 is fantastic. I guess it's an Alpha release meaning it should be full of bugs, but if so I haven't noticed any. It's been running butter smooth for a few weeks without having a single issue.
  4. #24  
    I'm disgusted by how terrible the interface is in Android, it's a nightmare. It's like someone took the worst UI of dozens of pieces of different open source software, and then combined it all, and then made it suck a little more.

    If not for the fact that I'm required to be able to develop for Android, it would be a complete and total waste of my time and disk space. But, YMMV. Having a quarter of a million apps is irrelevant to me -- most all of the apps that I need came with webOS, and what else I need, I was either able to find, or write. (aside from a good Google Reader app, but the only one of those that I've located on any platform that fits my specs is on iPhone/iPod only .. and I'll write my own one of these days, if I ever get the time to do it )
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    bluenote likes this.
  5.    #25  
    Thanks to all who replied. You guys are the best! After looking at the Kindle Fire, and weighing an iPad purchase, I tried the CM9 (alpha 2) route and so far, so good! Android is really sterile in appearance compared to WebOs, but it appears that I can get everything I need and more! I mainly am using the free Amazon apps for now. I have a few questions though. This might belong in another thread but I want to catch some opinions from some of you guys. 1.) It seemed my battery life is less substantial. Is this the case when having two operating systems? Is there a fix to this? 2.) I am using Amazon apps now because it seemed Google wanted me to access theirs via a user ID and PWD. I don't have any google accounts. Must I start one to access their marketplace? 3.) Right now I'm using CM9 alpha 2. How easy is it to download updates? It took me about 2 hrs to get Android on the TP (I'm a beginner in this ), and I don't want to screw anything up by getting too ambitious.

    Thanks for all the help and I will be participating in this community !
  6. noseph's Avatar
    Posts
    727 Posts
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by kobethecat View Post
    1.) It seemed my battery life is less substantial. Is this the case when having two operating systems? Is there a fix to this? 2.) I am using Amazon apps now because it seemed Google wanted me to access theirs via a user ID and PWD. I don't have any google accounts. Must I start one to access their marketplace? 3.) Right now I'm using CM9 alpha 2. How easy is it to download updates? It took me about 2 hrs to get Android on the TP (I'm a beginner in this ), and I don't want to screw anything up by getting too ambitious.

    Thanks for all the help and I will be participating in this community !
    1) Battery life at this point has not been optimized. One thing that has been reported to improve battery life is to make sure the Talk app is logged off, it is on by default.

    2) Yes you need a Google account to access the Market Place

    3) Upgrades are easy-peasy - download the new zip to your TouchPad, reboot to Recovery, wipe cache partition, Wipe Dalvik Cache, install zip from sdcard.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

    Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

    Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

    Twitter: @noseph47
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    1) Battery life at this point has not been optimized. One thing that has been reported to improve battery life is to make sure the Talk app is logged off, it is on by default.

    2) Yes you need a Google account to access the Market Place

    3) Upgrades are easy-peasy - download the new zip to your TouchPad, reboot to Recovery, wipe cache partition, Wipe Dalvik Cache, install zip from sdcard.
    Is the battery just impacted for CM9 and not WebOs? Also, How do you log the Talk app off? Do I have to sign in Google to do that? Also, regarding Google Apps, do I really need them or does Amazon cover similar bases? Finally, should I stick with Alpha 2 for awhile or upgrade immediately? Thanks for all the help! I'm a newbie so alot of questions
  8. #28  
    I would say: sell it and put some (ok, many more) money for an iPad3. Android is ok, but there still are many bugs on TP, webOS is going to be ignored by devs, and the build quality of TP is utterly crap. To sell it just to buy another android tablet is not worth it.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by kobethecat View Post
    Is the battery just impacted for CM9 and not WebOs? Also, How do you log the Talk app off? Do I have to sign in Google to do that? Also, regarding Google Apps, do I really need them or does Amazon cover similar bases? Finally, should I stick with Alpha 2 for awhile or upgrade immediately? Thanks for all the help! I'm a newbie so alot of questions
    I haven't noticed a great differences in battery life with either OS. However, don't lose sight of the fact that ICS is actually phenomenal for being an Alpha version. Think how good it will be when complete. I have found myself using webOS more recently. It is, of course, much more polished.

    I can't answer your question about the Talk app. I haven't used it.

    I am thinking about my options with Google apps. I am not very excited about their new Privacy policy. However, if you don't mind this change, I suggest using them.

    I would update as soon as there is a substantial update. Every update corrects some deficiency. I use Reverend Kyle's (RevTV) videos on Youtube. They are very comprehensive and easy to use.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

    As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
  10. #30  
    In use, CM9 is only marginally worse than WebOS in terms of power draw. But you have to adjust things a bit because I've found the brightness of the screen is set higher in CM9 by default. You also have open Talk and sign out (just click the options button on the top right and then sign out. it'll remained signed out).


    Standby time is where WebOS MONKEYSTOMPS CM9. This is pretty much the result of a non-optimized alpha so I don't blame CM9 too much but it's still a factor. With WIFI turned on, you should expect maybe only 4 days of standby in CM9.


    Still, I find myself almost always in CM9 now. I'm on Alpha2 and since video decoding is fully functional now, there's little reason for me to be in WebOS (I don't use skype video and the camera on the TP is low quality anyway). The advantages of well-built and fast apps just lure me away:

    BS Player - Best hardware accelerated video
    ES File Manager - Access your LAN shares to watch videos directly
    Moonreader - all my ebook needs
    Repligo PDF - fast!
    Office Suite Pro - handles everything INCLUDING RTFs
    Evernote (beta) - killer app IMO
    Pulse - RSS that works I guess?
    Last edited by chronoreverse; 03/05/2012 at 12:13 PM.
  11. #31  
    To me, as has been stated in this thread, the time to move on is when the TP no longer meets my needs or in the case of many, if the workarounds begin to become tiresome, problematic or or just an unbearable nuisance. Personally, its another convenience item and as such I like tinkering with it so I'll keep mine and save the dough.

    If that was not the case I'd buy an IPAD as it provides the most polished user interface in the market especially for those that just want something that works out of the box. I only say IPAD because when people regret their purchase many if not most say "I should have bought an IPAD instead".

    Remember, they all have pros and cons, just decide which you want to live with.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by whocares69 View Post
    There also all on CM9 (except HBO, which will work eventually) which he can get without having to spend another 500$.
    No HBO. Guys seemed to want it. Plus aren't' most of the android apps not made specifically for tablets? The other thing is aren't some Android features missing from CM9 as well? Regardless, it's the guys choice. i'd try cm9 first and see if u could live without hbo. if it doesn't satisfy you i'd dump it altogether and get an ipad 3.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 03/05/2012 at 02:42 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  13. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by whocares69 View Post
    http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

    That has everything you need to know to get started.

    Edit Post install I would also install the amazon app store ( free paid app every day. Most suck, but they've had some good ones - Install Amazon Appstore ) . From the android market I would get Ad free android and addons detector.

    Also, people new to android tend to get a little freaked out by the permissions. A great but long post that explains everything is here Android permissions explained, security tips, and avoiding malware - Android Forums
    i just tried to install the amazon store and got told that my security setting wouldnt let me. any ideas why not?
  14. bioforce2's Avatar
    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    i just tried to install the amazon store and got told that my security setting wouldnt let me. any ideas why not?
    You need to go settings/security and check unknown sources.
  15. bioforce2's Avatar
    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    No HBO. Guys seemed to want it. Plus aren't' most of the android apps not made specifically for tablets? The other thing is aren't some Android features missing from CM9 as well? Regardless, it's the guys choice. i'd try cm9 first and see if u could live without hbo. if it doesn't satisfy you i'd dump it altogether and get an ipad 3.
    Most of the iPad apps aren't specially made for it either. That said, I agree with the main point to try it and see if you like it, which is what OP has done.
  16. tboy2000's Avatar
    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    #36  
    i am in a similar boat. Despite all the preware tweaks, i am experiencing lots of lags. Not tried Android yet but my biggest question is if i install android and i dont like it or want to sell my Touchpad in the future, how easy is it to 101% uninstall it and all the boot files to leave it 100% factoryreset clean as if i just bought it? I hear stories that files get left behind which you cant remove.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by tboy2000 View Post
    i am in a similar boat. Despite all the preware tweaks, i am experiencing lots of lags. Not tried Android yet but my biggest question is if i install android and i dont like it or want to sell my Touchpad in the future, how easy is it to 101% uninstall it and all the boot files to leave it 100% factoryreset clean as if i just bought it? I hear stories that files get left behind which you cant remove.
    It's easier uninstalling, than learning how to install in the first place......(if you can figure out how to install it with ncinerate's thread....you will also learn how to uninstall in the same thread )
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by whocares69 View Post
    Most of the iPad apps aren't specially made for it either. That said, I agree with the main point to try it and see if you like it, which is what OP has done.
    yep i saw his post after i'd already responded. but i don't have much experience with android tablets outside a store and i don't own a tablet but i by "made for" i mean written to scale correctly. the huge majority of ipad apps i've seen are ipad specific versions. like my mom has an ipad and the only app i had that look didn't look fine was the nike fitness app made only for iphone. everything else looked find. plus you could easlity only download and search for ipad compatible apps. As opposed to what i heard in rumors about android apps. That most are merely the phone app zoomed in. Is that not true. I'm not saying all apps. i've seen plenty in best buy that look fine on a tablet. But what i've read is that since android phones sell and android tablets don't most app makers have been very slow to spend the time it takes and make a tablet version.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  19. #39  
    I bought my TP in October and I love it to pieces. However, I'm starting to get a bit peeved because the lack of an Adobe Flash update is making it increasingly difficult to stream movies on Amazon. Since the firing of most of the WebOS staff means we're probably never going to see a Flash update, I was wondering if this problem would be resolved if I installed CM7 on my TP.

    I'm also wondering if I should attempt the installation at all. I'm tech-literate enough that I can google problems and follow instructions to solve most issues but, since I don't really understand how any of it works, I can't innovate a solution on my own if I get stuck. I've also had trouble using the WebOS Doctor before so I'm terrified I'll kill my TP and I won't be able to fix it. The last time I tried to doctor it was when the 3.0.4 update came out and it kept freezing at 12%. I have 3.0.5 now and I've since reinstalled windows on my computer so I have hope that it will work better this time but if not, I'm really reluctant to try the CM7 installation because I'd be working without a safety net. Any advice would be helpful.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by punkinholler View Post
    I bought my TP in October and I love it to pieces. However, I'm starting to get a bit peeved because the lack of an Adobe Flash update is making it increasingly difficult to stream movies on Amazon. Since the firing of most of the WebOS staff means we're probably never going to see a Flash update, I was wondering if this problem would be resolved if I installed CM7 on my TP.

    I'm also wondering if I should attempt the installation at all. I'm tech-literate enough that I can google problems and follow instructions to solve most issues but, since I don't really understand how any of it works, I can't innovate a solution on my own if I get stuck. I've also had trouble using the WebOS Doctor before so I'm terrified I'll kill my TP and I won't be able to fix it. The last time I tried to doctor it was when the 3.0.4 update came out and it kept freezing at 12%. I have 3.0.5 now and I've since reinstalled windows on my computer so I have hope that it will work better this time but if not, I'm really reluctant to try the CM7 installation because I'd be working without a safety net. Any advice would be helpful.
    I wouldn't install CM7 at all. I suggest CM9 ICS Alpha 2.0. I use Reverend Kyle's (RevTV) videos on Youtube. His videos are detailed and easy to follow. Watch his videos to see what you think. You can also ask him questions if necessary.
    Last edited by old_geekster; 03/07/2012 at 11:24 AM.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

    As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    rmeigs likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions