1.    #1  
    just got my pre2 2.2.4 to work with my touchpad. Sms is great! Touchpad for phone calls could be great except....... The echo issue. Also the lack of volume control on the touchpad. I have figured out that the volume can be controlled by actual phone, i.e. lowering the in-call volume on the phone will lower the volume on the touchpad. I've also found through playing with the phone volume that the echo can be reduced a bit. I'm hoping that this information could be helpful to someone that knows more to create a solution.

what do you think? Anyone?
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    Is the TP Microphone possibly the cause of the echo?

If so, there was this recent solution posted for the bad quality TP Skype-call issue, it resets the default gain on the TP mic:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'..If anyone wants to try adjusting the input gain on the mic from the commandline:

amixer cset numid=36 <value>

[where value is 0-31, default being 27 on the touchpad at least]

I entered the above command and ran a voice recorder in parallel to test the results and I was pleasantly surprised. The gain indeed reduced as I tried 17, 15, 12. I recommend that 12 to 14 is a decent value for HP touchpad microphone input gain. 12 if you naturally speak sort of loudly and 14 is more than enough if you are within one feet from the microphone.

This solution worked! I actually changed the value down to 8, and the audio quality over skype was great..'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I set mine to 14..
    Might be worth a try?

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Is the TP Microphone possibly the cause of the echo?

If so, there was this recent solution posted for the bad quality TP Skype-call issue, it resets the default gain on the TP mic:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'..If anyone wants to try adjusting the input gain on the mic from the commandline:

amixer cset numid=36 <value>

[where value is 0-31, default being 27 on the touchpad at least]

I entered the above command and ran a voice recorder in parallel to test the results and I was pleasantly surprised. The gain indeed reduced as I tried 17, 15, 12. I recommend that 12 to 14 is a decent value for HP touchpad microphone input gain. 12 if you naturally speak sort of loudly and 14 is more than enough if you are within one feet from the microphone.

This solution worked! I actually changed the value down to 8, and the audio quality over skype was great..'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I set mine to 14..
    Might be worth a try?

thanks for the reply. I'll try it. Was the skype issue related to echoing?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    thanks for the reply. I'll try it. Was the skype issue related to echoing?

Skype issue was more to do with crackling & breakup on/for the recieving end.. but then there wasn't a 'Pre' phone sitting right next to it, for it (the TP), to 'listen to' as well!!

Hope it helps!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/03/2012 at 01:34 PM.
  5.    #5  
    just tried it and set my touchpad to 17. made no differance for the echo issue.

its confusing to try and descripe a conversation between 2 people with 3 pieces of equipment. so for the following "other person" refers to the person I have called using the touchpad
    It seems that the echo is only heard by the "other person" and only there voice echos. From the touchpad there is no echo heard. I'm guessing that it has something to do with how sound is being passed through the phone (pre2) its like the touchpad as bluetooth speakerphone works well but somewhere in the "conversation" between the touchpad and the phone its tethered to there is a problem. could the phone be rebroadcasting the entire conversation rather then canceling out the noise from the "other person"?

6.    #6  
    found this in the xda forum. I'm wondering if this could be what is occuring.

Sidetone and echo: sidetone is the effect of sound that is picked up by the telephone's microphone and feedback into the earpiece. If the value is to high, you will hear an echo due too the combination of the sidetone level and latency. Here you will find more interesting info about sidetone and echo: Echo and Sidetone - voip-info.org

here is the thread I found it in, not a webos thread but perhaps it helps
    Audio problems during (Bluetooth) phone calls PARTLY SOLVED! - xda-developers

although I think that is what I tried adjusting from earlier in this thread. also, I have tried having the phone in another room while on a call with the touchpad and it made no difference in the echoing

Ok..sorry that didn't help, but I reckon it's the right sort of 'track' to investigate anyway.

Perhaps there is also a differential between the Bluetooth 'speed' and Telephony 'speed'.. resulting in a micro-delay.. and thus an 'echo'?

I hope you get it sussed anyway!

does using the mute switch on the pre do anything for you? does it also mute the touchpad or does the pre sound turn off and touchpad remain?

Think i tried it a while ago and it worked even using the ringer / mute patch, dunno recently not tried since 3.0.5.
    I've never had the echo problem on a call, at least, that people have told me of. Skype ,yeah, bluetooth call, no.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10.    #10  
    mute switch has made no difference. I've tried the really silent ringer switch patch and it also has made no differance
  11.    #11  
    I've also tried using touchvol app but that didn't have any effect on echo or volume
    how close is phone to touchpad in your useage, very close or well enough apart?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    how close is phone to touchpad in your useage, very close or well enough apart?
    I've a few different ways, phone right next to touchpad, phone a few feet away from touchpad and phone in a different room, about 15 feet away from touchpad. All have the same echoing.
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    I've a few different ways, phone right next to touchpad, phone a few feet away from touchpad and phone in a different room, about 15 feet away from touchpad. All have the same echoing.
    Try the pre-release version of TouchVol, the Master control will adjust the speaker output during a call. Most likely you are getting reverb from the speaker into the mic input feed. In bluetooth setup the phone mic 'should' be disabled. I took a quick peek and it looks like the default use case has some sidetone adjustments of one kind or another in place.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bi0tech View Post
    Try the pre-release version of TouchVol, the Master control will adjust the speaker output during a call. Most likely you are getting reverb from the speaker into the mic input feed. In bluetooth setup the phone mic 'should' be disabled. I took a quick peek and it looks like the default use case has some sidetone adjustments of one kind or another in place.
    thanks I'll try that

how do i get to bluetooth setup to select phone mic options? I tried preferences in bluetooth and also touchvol but couldn't find anyting

I"m using a pre2 running 2.2.4