1.    #1  
    Hi,

As a new user, sorry if this topic has been addressed before, but I couldn't find it after searching the forums. I just bought a used Touchpad, and I'm having issues playing Flash, namely youtube, but other flash video sites as well. I can pull up the website, but when the video attempts to load, the tablet freezes and requires a hard reset. Also, I've had issues with running MKV files (with Kalemsoft). The same behavior occurs where right before any video appears, the tablet freezes.

The Touchpad is on webOS 3.0.5 and has the product number FB356UT#ABA, and Model HSTNH-129C. I bought it used, and the previous user did not do any sort of wipe. It was running the android CM7 mod. I upgraded that mod to CM9, but couldn't play videos in either OS. I first ran "Erase Apps & Data" from "Reset Options." I got my own webOS account. I then looked at and followed several guides including:

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html
    Overclocking the HP TouchPad - Opinionless
    http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-4-0-a.html

After overclocking, I did have some success on YouTube, where I was able to view a non HD video, but it was still a little sluggish, not quite the "full HD flash" capabilities that I read about with this device. Also, after overclocking and installing the Kalem player, I still was unable to load my MKV files.

I hypothesized that the issue could be with the tablet being rooted (is that what they call it for webos?) and being able to dual boot into either OS. I ran the Doctor, thinking it would wipe everything clean (more on that in a second). After starting fresh, I still could not play youtube files. I then went through the process of overclocking and getting preware again. After overclocking again, I'm still not able to view flash videos.

I looked and saw that all of the CM9 folders were still listed when looking through the contents of the tablet through my PC. The only thing left that I can think of is doing the most extreme reset under Device Information.

Sorry for such the long post, but I figured I would get all of my information out there for your review.

Thank you,

Steven Irwin
  2.    #2  
    Oh, also my wifi is WPA2.
  3.    #3  
    Update: I can sort of play MKV files after my recent tweaks with overclocking (upping the minimum frequency seemed to help). Using Kalem, but Kalem has some unreadable menus, the video plays in the wrong view depending on screen orientation, and the sound isn't synched with the video properly. Maybe if I just keep typing this stuff out it will eventually fix itself.
    the webOS doctor does not erase files.

in any case, the webOS doctor will not touch the android partition at all.

you can uninstall android with a file, i think it is called acme uinstaller but you should google to get exact instructions and follow them carefully.

after you uninstall android, check to see if your videos will run on webOS.

there may still be some random folders on your media partition which were installed for the android apps but you can just plug touchpad into pc (usb mode) and then drag and drop to delete folders.

if videos still not ok, then run webOS doctor again. Your touchpad should now be stock.

if that doesn't work, post back here.

kalem handles most video formats. There is a separate problem that has just cropped up in the past month, namely that newer versions of flash dont run on webOS but that is localized to sites running newest flash--ie thedailyshow site has some videos running ok and some not. This is a specific problem but does not sound like your issue.
    Last edited by bluenote; 03/03/2012 at 05:13 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Thank you Bluenote. On further review, after overclocking, I seem to be pulling up a couple other flash sites fine. I'm assuming youtube uses the newest version of flash, so that could be where the issue lies. I will work on it more tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTheCrocHunter View Post
    Thank you Bluenote. On further review, after overclocking, I seem to be pulling up a couple other flash sites fine. I'm assuming youtube uses the newest version of flash, so that could be where the issue lies. I will work on it more tomorrow.
    Watching jimmy kimmel youtube video fine on the touchpad right now. Also streamed a video earlier from my mac.

If you continue to have trouble, I would advise you to uninstall android in any case as some people have experienced problems from jumping straight to cm9 from cm7. Its best to start out clean.
  7.    #7  
    Thank you. I have been attempting to uninstall android, but ever since I ran Doctor, I don't have moboot any more, and I've been having trouble running the uninstaller (get device not found error, boot the TP up and hold the volume button down to get the USB screen). The PC isn't recognizing the TP. I installed all of the novacom stuff and SDK things. I'm hoping a PC reboot will help solve some of this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTheCrocHunter View Post
    Thank you. I have been attempting to uninstall android, but ever since I ran Doctor, I don't have moboot any more, and I've been having trouble running the uninstaller (get device not found error, boot the TP up and hold the volume button down to get the USB screen). The PC isn't recognizing the TP. I installed all of the novacom stuff and SDK things. I'm hoping a PC reboot will help solve some of this stuff.
    ive seen reports of others who have this issue --google is your friend here on how to reinstall moboot. There is also an app in preware that will uninstall android but i don't know much about it and it may require the use of tailor app in preware afterwards to recover your partition space back to webOS. WebOS open source linux kernel is being released this month--personally i would wait until we get this kernel before deciding whether to keep or install other operating systems beyond webOS.
    Last edited by bluenote; 03/03/2012 at 05:14 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Ok, I finally got android uninstalled after a hangup with the wrong ACMEUninstall file. Here's a tip, if the file you download from the goo.gl link is 1 KB, then try again, because the ACMEUninstall file is about 8 mb. After uninstalling android and running a Doctor, I still can't use youtube. While I'm not stuck on/addicted to youtube, I figure that will be as good of place as any to test my flash/video capabilities. What else do I need to do to officially get this thing back to stock?
    stock plays flash, no clue why yours does not
    this is a youtube vid my pad plays fine (see link below). Can yours play this? I have uberkernel installed but am running default profile which means no overclock and still it plays fine.

what patches do you have? Which doctor did you use?

Last edited by bluenote; 03/03/2012 at 05:15 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Sorry about my absence. After staying up til 5 am one night fiddling with this darn thing, I decided to put it away for a couple days. After doing a full, secure erase, and running the 3.0.5 doctor, and creating a new webOS profile, redownloaded preware, installed the uberkernal and govnah. I've switched between the 3 profiles in uberkernal

I installed the following patches:
    Add ThumbNav Controls
    Muffle System Logging
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    Remove Tap Ripple
    Unthrottle download manager

I still cannot play youtube videos consistently. I have had a modicum of success, where the page doesn't freeze automatically each time. Sometimes it will freeze when it tries to load the advertisement. Sometimes the page won't freeze, just no video will load at all. Sometimes it will start to play, albeit a little choppy. If I do get through a whole video without freezing, the next video I try to load (or reload the current video) it will freeze. Also, if I get something playing, and try to go full screen, it will freeze. Also, I've gotten kalemsoft to play videofiles (only tested mkv), but the screen orientation is still off, when the picture is playing in horizontal mode the video doesn't take up the full screen, and in the remnants that are left over play duplicate, but chopped off, copies of the same file. Also, the menu screens are all distorted in kalemsoft. Could this possibly be a hardware issue? I have no issues running other apps and doing light web browsing. What else should I look for?

Thank you.
  12.    #12  
    Also, I have something in preware titled "This is a webOS application" and when I go into it it's id says com.palm.app.youtube. It's only 17.98 kb, Is this related?
  13.    #13  
    Just reinstalled cm9. Youtube froze on the first try. Restarted the tablet. Played a non HD youtube successfully. Tried to navigate to another Youtube. Crashed upon loading!!! Went to view a trailer from IMDB. IMDB gave me an error saying "In order to play this video, you must have flash 8 or higher installed, and you must enable javascript." I went to adobe's website to see if i could install flash. Adobe's website told me "Adobe Flash player 10.1 for android 2,2 has been released to partners. Adobe Flash Player will be coming soon."
  14.    #14  
    I just went to the market and downloaded Adobe 11. Reloaded the clip from IMDB and the TP froze. I really want to find out what is wrong with this device.