Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I plan to start writing some reports on my touchpad and I'd much rather use keyboard than the virtual one. I'd like the HP one, but I can only find it for $50-60 and that's more than I'm willing to spend.
    I'm typing this on my Kensington Key Folio pro2 universal keyboard/case. I like it, but if you are looking for something really inexpensive I have no idea what to tell you as this setup is higher priced than what you balked at. Any bluetooth keyboard should work though.
    I was going to get this Brando branded one ($43.00) after having seen it mentioned on geekhack some time ago. Probably would have except Best Buy had an accessory sale too good for me to pass up so now I've got the HP keyboard. I like it but still wonder about the Brando. It's got a more standard layout which could make it more useable on other devices. I have to wonder if they aren't made in the same factory since they look so similar in many respects. The brando has a rechargeable battery with USB charging cable, off/on switch and pairing button in rear, pic below. FYI, this was posted on my touchpad w/ HP wireless keyboard.
    Finding the Canadian link to HP Shopping Canada is a PITA but because it's so obscure, they have stock in the TP accessories. The HP BT keyboard is $34.99. At one point over Christmas 2011 there was free shipping too. They have official cases for $24.99 and TouchStones too for $39.99
    HP Shopping Canada | Accessorize your TouchPad

I bought my BT keyboard from them and it was shipped incredibly quickly and in very good packaging. Don't know if they'll ship to the USA or elsewhere though.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 02/28/2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added bit about packaging, speed and shipping
    I highly recommend the HP keyboard especially with the specialized buttons. (some of the buttons can be replicated on a regular keyboard)

Some of the nice things about the HP keyboard is the angle it sits at. Some of the BT keyboards I have seen it too flat for my liking. Also I like the fact that it uses AA batteries (other people may vary). I have a collection of energizer AA rechargeables and have plenty of other devices that need to be USB charged (phone, TP, BT headphones, and portable BT adapter).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    old_geekster likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I highly recommend the HP keyboard especially with the specialized buttons. (some of the buttons can be replicated on a regular keyboard)

Some of the nice things about the HP keyboard is the angle it sits at. Some of the BT keyboards I have seen it too flat for my liking. Also I like the fact that it uses AA batteries (other people may vary). I have a collection of energizer AA rechargeables and have plenty of other devices that need to be USB charged (phone, TP, BT headphones, and portable BT adapter).
    I agree fully with this assessment of the HP keyboard. I paid $30 for mine, but would pay up to $50. The special keys work great!
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by old_geekster View Post
    I agree fully with this assessment of the HP keyboard. I paid $30 for mine, but would pay up to $50. The special keys work great!
    Same! A good deal.

+1

Oh and to add to my earlier statement. I paid full price for one of my HP keyboards, was best bang for the buck at the local Frys when I picked it up before fire sale. There was 1 or 2 BT keyboards slightly cheaper, but not nearly as nice. Second KB I got at firesale prices from BB.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosdivine View Post
    Finding the Canadian link to HP Shopping Canada is a PITA but because it's so obscure, they have stock in the TP accessories. The HP BT keyboard is $34.99. At one point over Christmas 2011 there was free shipping too. They have official cases for $24.99 and TouchStones too for $39.99
    HP Shopping Canada | Accessorize your TouchPad

I bought my BT keyboard from them and it was shipped incredibly quickly and in very good packaging. Don't know if they'll ship to the USA or elsewhere though.
    I'm a mechanical keyboard fan, when possible, but not fanatical about it. I love my thinkpad keyboards, my blue cherry mechanical switch keyboard, amongst others. I wasn't sure what to expect from the HP bluetooth but it's really not bad. Not great but perfectly fine for my use.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I'm a mechanical keyboard fan, when possible, but not fanatical about it. I love my thinkpad keyboards, my blue cherry mechanical switch keyboard, amongst others. I wasn't sure what to expect from the HP bluetooth but it's really not bad. Not great but perfectly fine for my use.
    Oh.. don't start me on about Thinkpad Keyboards.. I have x3 600X Thinkpads and I just can not part with them.. because of the keyboards.. IBM just got it absolutely RIGHT with that one I reckon! Beautiful!

And this had to be one of the best ever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_Keyboard so good infact that it is still being maunfactured.. it was almost too good, as it never ever broke!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/28/2012 at 12:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Oh.. don't start me on about Thinkpad Keyboards.. I have x3 600X Thinkpads and I just can not part with them.. because of the keyboards.. IBM just got it absolutely RIGHT with that one I reckon! Beautiful!

And this had to be one of the best ever: Model M keyboard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so good infact that it is still being maunfactured.. it was almost too good, as it never ever broke!

I didn't mention buckling spring models like the model M but I do have some, both vintage and a Unicomp Spacesaver. The Unicomp is smaller and a bit quieter but really loud as freight trains compared to my other keyboards although they feel great IMHO. They last a really long time but they spring mechanisms can get "tired" and the internal rivets can get broken from misuse/dropping and cause issues.
    I'd like to reiterate most of the moments on here. The HP bluetooth keyboard is phenomenal and I'd splurge a little to get it instead of settling.
  13.    #13  
    Well, I really would rather not pay more than $40 for one. Maybe I'll just spend a little longer looking around. Maybe I'll see if anyone is selling them on craiglist or something.

Thanks.
    Might have to watch craiglist, ebay etc and see if you can jump on a deal since the supplies seem to be drying up. Or maybe a new bunch will pop up somewhere, woot or whatever. Good luck.
    Zippy BT 500. Doubles as a standard computer keyboard too (with full F1-F12), has fast device-switching, and none of those crappy tablet-specific keys.
    "On ComScore's smartphone market share chart, Nokia's Symbian comes in dead last at 0.5% of the market. Somewhere below that are a few holdout open-source WebOS users who just can't let their dream go." -- Jason Notte // thestreet
    I have been using an Apple Bluetooth keyboard for a while. It takes 2 AA batteries, and I have no issues pairing up. I am borrowing it from work, so cost was not an issue...
    Motorola Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard also works pretty well with the HP TouchPad. Plus it should work even better with Android I think (don't have Android yet). About $35-36 on Amazon.com. The big plus over the HP keyboard is that the Motorola has a power button, whereas the HP (based on what I have read) only has a battery cover which controls power.

Update: I have been told I was incorrect about the hp original having a lack of a power button. I still enjoy my Motorola though :P
    Last edited by techlover10; 02/29/2012 at 10:49 PM.
    - techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
    HP BT KB has a power switch that fits into a slot on the battery cover.
    techlover that is incorrect, the HP keyboard has a hard power switch and IIRC also auto powers down. It also has a KB button that sleeps the TP
    I apologize for the inaccuracy. I based that piece of knowledge on the reviews I read of the original HP. Many complained of the lack of an easily accessible power button. I have updated my post to reflect this.
    - techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast