Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Have you noticed that the touchpad in landscape position is generally more smooth? (scrolling, switching between apps, general system fluidity).
    Especially apps like communities are way less choppy. I'm OC 1,7 turbo.
    Share you thoughts!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Isandunk likes this.
    Is there any other way to use it?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    It runs like butter (buttah? I'm so old, just trying to keep up with The Kids, forgive me).

Crunchy Peanut Butter.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    W00sh likes this.
  4.    #4  
    For me that patch didn't work...I got all the others though :-)

Yeah, 'Buttah' didn't quite do it.. I agree, 'crunchy' is right.. but the others do 'smooth' style OK.
    I notice that on long lists the scrolling is still jerky, until it is fully loaded into the memory - (presumably?).

6.    #6  
    Yes something like that perhaps....but not in all apps, zite is just working always extra smooth, even without patches, oc, etc....

Since I use landscape 98% of the time, I don't mind if it's optimized for landscape.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Is there any other way to use it?
    Portrait FTW... My device is always locked to portrait.

Go to landscape when watching media or playing a game that requires it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Since I use landscape 98% of the time, I don't mind if it's optimized for landscape.
    I agree!
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirga78 View Post
    Have you noticed that the touchpad in landscape position is generally more smooth? (scrolling, switching between apps, general system fluidity).
    Especially apps like communities are way less choppy. I'm OC 1,7 turbo.
    Share you thoughts!

I've been experiencing this of late, especially with Project Macaw. The difference is MASSIVE between portrait and landscape.

I spoke to Minego (contributor / creator of Macaw) and he has experienced the same thing but doesnt have an explanation why... maybe someone from HP can shine a light...
  11.    #11  
    Yes, that would be great if HP could explain and perhaps solve this problem...this is such a great device which doesn't deserve to have this sort of issues (it seems to be an optimization problem and not a core problem).

Quote Originally Posted by sirga78 View Post
    Yes, that would be great if HP could explain and perhaps solve this problem...this is such a great device which doesn't deserve to have this sort of issues (it seems to be an optimization problem and not a core problem).

Easy explanation: All of those apps have much more data to push around on screen at once in portrait orientation. We're pretty unlikely to find a general solution, unless someone finds some kind of magic bullet that no one's yet thought of to improve scrolling operations in webkit.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I have noticed that when I sync my TouchPad with my iTunes library, which is around 1500 songs, the entire system slows down. I understand this is a large amount of files to index, but it is strange that it affects the speed of the rest of the operating system.

That is what I feel anyway.
  14.    #14  
    Easy explanation: All of those apps have much more data to push around on screen at once in portrait orientation. We're pretty unlikely to find a general solution, unless someone finds some kind of magic bullet that no one's yet thought of to improve scrolling operations in webkit.
    Yes, it must be data related like you say, hopefully they will indeed find the way to fix it. iOS did find it (even it executes most likely less than the half of the operations at the same time that WebOS does....)

99.99% 'Landscape' for me!

I guess if I had my eyes positioned vertically on top of each other - instead of side by side - I might find 'Portrait' more tolerable!

I've also experienced this, including Project Macaw. Hopefully when we get QtWebKit and some other under-the-hood updates everything'll smooth out nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    99.99% 'Landscape' for me!

I guess if I had my eyes positioned vertically on top of each other - instead of side by side - I might find 'Portrait' more tolerable!

Not trying to pile on you or any other users, but what is your main usage of the TP? In general I find web browsing better in portrait, this is why so many use multiple monitor setups with at least one in portrait. Most of what I do on my TP is optimized in portrait, also an easier way of holding while using (left hand holding/supporting while right hand does input).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Not trying to pile on you or any other users, but what is your main usage of the TP? In general I find web browsing better in portrait, this is why so many use multiple monitor setups with at least one in portrait. Most of what I do on my TP is optimized in portrait, also an easier way of holding while using (left hand holding/supporting while right hand does input).
    i use portrait mode for just browsing/reading from web related sources, anything else landscape, considering i like portrait for reading etc, i find it weird i prefer landscape for stuff like graphite/zite/etc as thats basically reading as well.
    I prefer landscape for most everything, if I want portrait, I have a cell phone and an iPod for that sort of thing. Few websites fit well in a portrait design anymore, it seems. It's nice to be able to switch easily, though, because there are some spots in the web that just plain work better portrait, or sometimes I need to be able to see more of something lengthwise.

I've never met anyone other than programmers that have a portrait oriented monitor. When I get my way, I'll have two landscapes and a portrait.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Does anyone find that smoothness degrades pretty rapidly in the few days following a fresh restore?

Without installing any kernels or Preware full stop, I find that the software is much more fluid... But this seemingly randomly decays into a moderately choppy user experience. Then I feel the need to try and speed it up using patches from Preware, which I am satisfied with for the first few days but then I begin to find speed is much more unstable (Probably due to how high I am setting the clock rate).

Maybe I'm just OCD, but I just can't seem to get it the way I like it.

Not sure if it's blasphemy to say so, but maybe it's jumping from iOS to webOS which is my problem, because iOS seems to handle the animations better - although that's down to a lack of true multitasking I guess.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast