1.    #1  
    Hi all,

My TP was working fine on Sunday night, I shut it down and the next day it was dead...no signs of life at all.

Iíve had this problem once or twice before and it always reset by holding down the power and home buttons together but this time nothing, dead as a Dodo !

Searching the forums/web comes up with all the usual fixes and queries about button combinations cables and chargers etc, tried everything for the last 2 days solid but still no a flicker of life from my TP.
    I have a touchstone, a regular TP charger and Iíve also tried 2 x blackberry chargers.
    Iíve swapped the barrels from the two HP plugs even tried to charge via USB on the Laptop but nothing works, no lights or battery indicators....just a dead black cold screen.

The plug gets warm when its on the touchstone but thatís all..... its been on charge constantly for 2.5 days.

Rang HP tonight and nice guy in support centre has arranged for UPS to collect it..........wait and see what they say ?
    He also agreed with me when I said this seemed to be a common fault/problem. He said for some reason the battery gets so discharged it cant prime itselfÖ.or something like that

*Its running the latest ICS and Pre Ware so it will be interesting to see whether the warranty is void.
    Yep.. this seems to be an increasingly common, dare I say, 'Failure'! A fairly 'epic' one at that!

Some people have had luck by just leaving it on the Touchstone/charger for a LOOONG time.. and ocaisionally the TP does seem to pick up a charge and suddenly recover.. but I guess you have really already tried that approach?

Perhaps you should prompt HP to now look into the 'software/firmware' controlling the state of the battery, and if necessary issue an update, so that it is never actually allowed to go SO flat that it can't/won't even tell itself that it's battery IS totally flat!!

'Catch 22' loop!

I have noticed that mine sometimes (but mostly not) - shows the ?Big Batt? on Boot.. I guess it's the 'Red Line' version which is potentially 'deadly'.

Good luck with the 'repair' anyway!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    MY wife leaves her TP on for days so it goes flat (pic with the red line). It's never failed to recharge - even from a non TP charger.

Alan
    [Of course, now that I've said this .....]
    Can you put the device in recovery mode, plug the charger into the device and hold down the power, up volume, and center button for 30sec? If not then yeah do the repair.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    MY wife leaves her TP on for days so it goes flat (pic with the red line). It's never failed to recharge - even from a non TP charger.

Alan
    [Of course, now that I've said this .....]
    {Yeah.. fingers crossed!}

Maybe there was a batch of actual batteries that were 'bad' and are causing this.. or did HP mess with the firmware at some pont too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    {Yeah.. fingers crossed!}

Maybe there was a batch of actual batteries that were 'bad' and are causing this.. or did HP mess with the firmware at some pont too?

Getting the battery with ? could mean a problem with the firmware. Their repair facilities naturally has the means to reflash firmwares to resolve such issues.

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Can you put the device in recovery mode, plug the charger into the device and hold down the power, up volume, and center button for 30sec? If not then yeah do the repair.
    Dead as a dodo....doesn't respond to recovery mode or any combination of button pushing.....windows doesn't recognise the usb conection either so the doctor is off limits too. I hope HP give me some answers after the repair.

I expect they will replace the battery but not concede there is an issue with TP batteries per say.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegally View Post
    I hope HP give me some answers after the repair.

I expect they will replace the battery but not concede there is an issue with TP batteries per say.
    They wont give you a post-op report from the repair, they will just tell you it was fixed.

9.    #9  
    UPS colected my dead TP today.............watch this space.
    I was wondering if you ever ran Dr. Battery on your touchpad?
    I'm currently reading the 'battery life touchpad' topics trying to determine if leaving it on the touchstone for a few days hurts anything. I seem to remember the charging will quit when it's 'full' and then turn on and re-topp it off now and then.
    Outside of some kind of design flaw, I don't see why mine won't last 2 years with the right care.
    You plug your phone in?
  11.    #11  
    Update...

HP have just sent me a used TP with no explanation in exchange for my knackered one. It was posted from Hungary and did not even have the latest 3.0.5 update on it ?

Im pleased one one hand because I now have a working functional TP but also a bit dissappointed coz i'd have quite liked my original one back (it was mint) with a new battery and an explanation.

Had it since friday and it seems to be working fine.....I had to put my music and movies back on it but everything else (apps etc) copied across when I logged on to my account, fingers crossed for the future.

Mike
    Great.... I'm sending mine out tomorrow and it is mint also.