Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By techlover10
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By creepingmee
  • 1 Post By g8slord
  • 1 Post By Aware
  • 1 Post By old_geekster
  1.    #1  
    Just got a DreamSpark license and it gives me free licenses of Windows Embedded 7. I don't wanna start a flame war, but I am just wondering if it is possible to maybe load it on an HP TouchPad and get some windows apps running on it?
    - techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
    dadueler likes this.
    I think Windows Embedded 7 only supports x86 and x64 processors...not the ARM processors that the TP uses. Windows 8 is supposed to support ARM processors though.
  3.    #3  
    According to Wikipedia, it supports ARM v7. IDK if that means it can be ported to touchpad or not.
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
    Quote Originally Posted by techlover10 View Post
    According to Wikipedia, it supports ARM v7. IDK if that means it can be ported to touchpad or not.
    Yes, it does
    Enterprise Devices | Windows Embedded Compact 7 | Download Windows CE
    http://blogs.arm.com/embedded/441-wi...rbit-with-arm/
    theres more to running an OS than having just a matching processor type, a lot more.
    knownboyofno likes this.
    I'd like to see this happen!

I am running the risk of becoming unpopular with this statement, but....

I have never gotten it. I guess I never will. Since the early 1980s I couldn't understand why someone would want to use MS DOS over CP/M. Since CP/M was better in nearly all respects. This continued through various forms of Windows. The NT kernel to me is a patched and hacked mess. NTFS is old and has to be constantly defragged. No other half way recent file system has this problem. I just for the life of me cannot understand why someone would want to put that stuff on any machine let alone machines that were never ment to run it. Am I completely alone in this???? I have never used any M$ operating system on any platform for any reason. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it is so popular. To each their own I guess....
    UbuntuIsGreat likes this.
  8.    #8  
    @creepingmee
    I want it for the app support. I am a MuseScore junkie, and I'd love to have it on my tablet. Of course, I am not a true developer so I often don't see the problems with my random ideas, but I am envisioning a Windows Embedded tablet running a fullscreen MuseScore. If you don't know what musescore is, look it up :-)
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I had read, at the end of last year, HP was putting Win8 on a TP as a proof of concept. I have to agree with the poster on this one. I would love to see Win8 come to the HP TP. Less and less is beoming availible for the TPs and once working apps are also starting to fade away. I have 3 of the HP TPs and LOVE WebOS but at this point I am using it for web browsing and no more. Win8 would allow me to bring more functionality to my devices. Of course I will ALWAYS have one that is stock WebOS to keep my fix :-)
    kstagg likes this.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    @creepingmee
    I want it for the app support. I am a MuseScore junkie, and I'd love to have it on my tablet. Of course, I am not a true developer so I often don't see the problems with my random ideas, but I am envisioning a Windows Embedded tablet running a fullscreen MuseScore. If you don't know what musescore is, look it up :-)
    Microsoft changed their nomenclature a few years ago and unified the Windows CE (now windows Embedded Compact) and Windows XP Embedded (now windows Embedded Standard) product lines. Except for the fact that they're still pretty much different.

You might be able to get Windows Embedded Compact running on a TouchPad with a hell of a lot of driver development. Windows Embedded Standard does not run on ARM. In the end you still wouldn't be able to run any of the applications you want to, though. Normal windows applications don't really run on Windows Embedded Compact, just specifically targeted ones. It's essentially the same operating system Windows Mobile phones used (pre-Windows Phone 7). Even then, all your applications would have to be rebuild as ARM binaries instead of x86. You will not be able to take a normal Windows PC binary and run it on a TouchPad, regardless of how many years you spend on OS porting. Porting Windows Embedded Compact will not get you much in terms of app compatibility.
    (wait, is Embedded the same as CE?)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I am running the risk of becoming unpopular with this statement, but....

I have never gotten it. I guess I never will. Since the early 1980s I couldn't understand why someone would want to use MS DOS over CP/M. Since CP/M was better in nearly all respects. This continued through various forms of Windows. The NT kernel to me is a patched and hacked mess. NTFS is old and has to be constantly defragged. No other half way recent file system has this problem. I just for the life of me cannot understand why someone would want to put that stuff on any machine let alone machines that were never ment to run it. Am I completely alone in this???? I have never used any M$ operating system on any platform for any reason. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it is so popular. To each their own I guess....
    of course you don't understand. You've never used it. I've never used a knitting needle on any sweater I've ever owned, and I don't understand why anyone would ...
    godsantagonist likes this.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    (wait, is Embedded the same as CE?)
    Windows Embedded Compact is the new name for Windows CE.
    I am a Windows guy, but would rather stick with Linux (open source) on my TP. I like the idea of not having to pay for everything that I do on it. I have had a dual boot system with Windows and Ubuntu for years on my desktop. Each has its place in my world.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I agree with g8slord...

My family loves our TouchPad, but with the scarcity of apps and the release of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview today, I am intrigued. One of the features of Windows 8 is the addition of the Windows App store and today it launched with over 100 FREE apps. To be able to access those, and knowing the kind of developer support that Microsoft can throw it's weight behind, would be an extremely attractive option.

I love WebOS, but let's be honest, the developers haven't come running to support it and after seeing the previews of Windows 8 today, I am really looking forward to the upgrade from Win7 to Win8 and especially the option to use touch features.

@kstagg
    I love webOS, but from my understanding, windows8 preview minimum requires 16gb. Wouldn't a partition be an option for those with 32gb TPs? I apologize for my COMPLETE inability to grasp what goes into these things.
    so far only 32 bit and 64 bit are available. We'd need an arm edition I would think for the touchpad