Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I was using the camera on my 32gb touchpad frequently with skype. It worked just fine. Then a few weeks ago it suddenly stopped working. When I open the camera app I just get a camera icon with a gray background. When I try to use the camera in skype it never turns on.

I scoured the forums and checked a few things. There was an issue with 3.04 and some alternative kernels, which I don't think I have. I never installed chroid. I have CM9 android installed but it was working fine dual booting.

It might have coincided with when I installed some preware. I tried a clean start with webos doctor (twice). Nothing.

Any suggestions?
    Try going to the Settings tab and start Device Info. Go to drop down menu on the upper left and hit diagnostics. There is a camera test there.
    I have 3 TPs with 3.0.5 here, the only one that the camera has ever worked on since 3.0.5 has been the one that came back from HP last week. Last I checked it was still working. It's doing the same thing that the "incorrect kernel" did back when 3.0.4 came out .. except I know for a fact that I don't have incorrect kernels this time.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    32gb Touchpad here. 3.0.5, F15c Kernel, Lots of patches, preware, ubuntu, cm9 all installed. Camera seems fine here, just took a shot of my ugly mug and a short video. Got the usual crappy output the touchpad camera is known for.
  5.    #5  
    Gaitch32 - Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the diagnostics on the camera but all it does is bring up a frame and show the video if it's working. I have a grey box so I guess it's not working. Still no clue as to why.

Is it common to have a sudden hardware failure like this? Are my only options sending it to HP for repair or living with a dead camera?
    theres one of the 3rd party app catalogue apps for taking photos/pictures that inteferes with the stock app (or used to at least), if you have other camera apps, try removing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    theres one of the 3rd party app catalogue apps for taking photos/pictures that inteferes with the stock app (or used to at least), if you have other camera apps, try removing them.
    I had one of the third party apps installed and my camera didn't work. I unistalled it and now the camera works perfectly. Even makes me look good. ;-)
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    geekpeter likes this.
    I removed all of the 3rd party camera apps, tried the diagnostics, restarted the TP, and my camera *still* does not work (the ubiquitous gray screen described by others remains).

Any other suggestions? Not having a camera on my $99 Fire Sale TP isn't enough to trouble sending it in for maintenance, but I'm open to other suggestions.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkeller View Post
    I removed all of the 3rd party camera apps, tried the diagnostics, restarted the TP, and my camera *still* does not work (the ubiquitous gray screen described by others remains).

Any other suggestions? Not having a camera on my $99 Fire Sale TP isn't enough to trouble sending it in for maintenance, but I'm open to other suggestions.
    I am having the same problem with my kids 16gb TP. There are no 3rd party camera apps and it is also running the standard kernal. On a side note, I can not update FileMgr with this TP. My other 2 TPs do not have this problem and all camera apps work normally.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtislarimer View Post
    I was using the camera on my 32gb touchpad frequently with skype. It worked just fine. Then a few weeks ago it suddenly stopped working. When I open the camera app I just get a camera icon with a gray background. When I try to use the camera in skype it never turns on.

I scoured the forums and checked a few things. There was an issue with 3.04 and some alternative kernels, which I don't think I have. I never installed chroid. I have CM9 android installed but it was working fine dual booting.

It might have coincided with when I installed some preware. I tried a clean start with webos doctor (twice). Nothing.

Any suggestions?
    Same problem here. 32gb with 3.0.5. Gray screen, with camera icon in middle of screen. Tried everything mentioned in above posts, including webos doctor--twice. Still no fix!

I have a 16gb with virtually same configuration. When camera is first opening the same gray screen and camera icon appear momentarily, and then the camera lens opens normally, and camera funtions as it should.

Does anybody have other suggestions for a fix? I still think it's a software problem, and not hardware.
    I have never had this problem, however I did have a problem with something getting messed up with the stock messaging app. Even doctoring would not fix it. I went on the chat with hp, they suggested I do a secure full erase, and that solved the problem. Have you tried this? Might be worth a shot...
    Do a full erase and Doctoring should restore whatever messed up files you might have. If you're feeling adventurous, try Lumberjack and follow the logs to see what might have went wrong.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    It's Skype. They've been doing a lot of push updates lately, and they've managed to thoroughly break video for many users. The camera on my TouchPad works fine with any of the camera apps, but Skype video calling is gradually going dark as my usual callers are forced to update their copies of Skype. It's not just the TouchPad - Skype video calling has been broken for some time on my WinXP desktop, and now it's broken on my WinXP laptop as well since video seems to be incompatible with the QuickTime plugin Skype switched to using with this last update. The only system I have where Skype video calling still works is the one on my Win7 laptop - it can still 2-way video call successfully with the TouchPad.

I think Skype is gradually putting themselves out of business by the familiar process of too many poorly-tested updates in too short a time. Maybe it's time to look for a new video calling service.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I have never had this problem, however I did have a problem with something getting messed up with the stock messaging app. Even doctoring would not fix it. I went on the chat with hp, they suggested I do a secure full erase, and that solved the problem. Have you tried this? Might be worth a shot...
    I did a secure full erase, but problem persists. I then uninstalled CM 9 android, did another full erase and ran webos doctor. Same problem-gray screen with camera icon in the middle. Also tried other camera apps, but none worked. Looking more like a hardware problem. Thanks for all the input.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    any solution to this yet? I know it's a 5 month old thread, but out of the blue i'm having the exact same problem with my camera app. It stays on the grey background with camera icon on it. Any way out of this problem?
    I'm having the same issue too. I can't get any video to show up when video chatting. I tested the camera app, and it works just fine. When trying to skype, video does not turn on. The person on the other end says that skype works fine when chatting with other people, so I'm not sure what the problem could be with the TouchPad. Are there any patches that can fix this or other suggestions? I select video call when calling but the image never comes up even when I click the camera icon within the video calling app. I can hear sound just fine, but no picture. Please help. Thanks.
    i'm having the problem too. camera icon in the middle. did the diagnostic.
    Keeping this thread alive...

All of a sudden, I start having the very same trouble with camera AND trouble with music app.
    Music starts, I select a title but it never plays. Hopefully, the Kalemsoft player still works fine.
    No number of reboots seems to help.
    Both apps were still working fine yesterday. Something must have got corrupted somewhere.
    Same symptoms : neither camera nor music nor video app will work.
    Tracked it down to a corrupted media index.
    Media indexer wouldn't solve it. Nor did any number of reboots.
    A simple battery pull out worked fine for me. I suppose it forces efficiently a media indexer refresh.
    Works for me !
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I'm having the same problem but how do you do a simple battery pull on the touchpad?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltic View Post
    A simple battery pull out worked fine for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast