Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by riw View Post
    I'm having the same problem but how do you do a simple battery pull on the touchpad?
    Good question. I was trying to figure out in case I also have this problem on the Touchpad.

A simple Google search with "touchpad battery change" brings plenty of clues... OK, not as easy as with a PrPrPr, $but$ $still$ $doable$.
    Holy $hit.. My camera stopped working in webOS. I installed the CM10 and still cam not working. Is removing the battery the ONLY WAY? Please help...

Also, will doing a full erase in webOS also erase the cm10? Or do I need to erase the cm10 first?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltic View Post
    Same symptoms : neither camera nor music nor video app will work.
    Tracked it down to a corrupted media index.
    Media indexer wouldn't solve it. Nor did any number of reboots.
    A simple battery pull out worked fine for me. I suppose it forces efficiently a media indexer refresh.
    Works for me !
    I doubt a battery pull will do a media indexer refresh. It's more likely for the hardware components getting a power cycle that's helping.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    I doubt a battery pull will do a media indexer refresh. It's more likely for the hardware components getting a power cycle that's helping.
    Then in that case wouldn't fleeting the TP die of battery drain and leaving it off for a couple of days do the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by ek9cusco View Post
    Then in that case wouldn't fleeting the TP die of battery drain and leaving it off for a couple of days do the same?
    That's not recommended, since you'll likely have a tough time trying to get it charged again.
    Doh... I was hoping I didn't have to open it up to remove the battery
    That's not recommended, since you'll likely have a tough time trying to get it charged again.
    Lol yeah, that's a whole different can of worms.

GMMan, good to see you back
  8. eqr
    Quote Originally Posted by ek9cusco View Post
    Why would there be a problem bringing a dead battery back to life. I often set the GO aside for weeks, even months at a time. Invariably, it has a dead battery - completely dead when I get it out. I'll plug it into the 1A pre (?) charger and it comes back to life when given an hour or so on the charger. I do get a warning suggesting that I plug the GO into the proper charger or the unit may not charge, but never a failure to charge.

I just don't understand why the Touchpad would be any different from another rechargeable device with a battery that had been allowed to fully discharge.
    Quote Originally Posted by eqr View Post
    Why would there be a problem bringing a dead battery back to life. I often set the GO aside for weeks, even months at a time. Invariably, it has a dead battery - completely dead when I get it out. I'll plug it into the 1A pre (?) charger and it comes back to life when given an hour or so on the charger. I do get a warning suggesting that I plug the GO into the proper charger or the unit may not charge, but never a failure to charge.

I just don't understand why the Touchpad would be any different from another rechargeable device with a battery that had been allowed to fully discharge.
    You're giving some dangerous advice there...

The regular Touchpad's charging circuit is powered by the battery rather than than supplied power, so if there isn't enough power in the battery to power the charging circuit, you'll be kind of stuck. Some people have had success recovering from that after a few weeks, others had to buy specialized chargers and take the battery out to charge it. Hopefully, i won't have to go that route with my mom's dead TP.
    I have an MP3 player that draws battery power on USB. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to make seemingly weird decisions with regard to power.
    Remy X likes this.
    I have an MP3 player that draws battery power on USB. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to make seemingly weird decisions with regard to power.
    Is that the same MP3 player that had one of the chips come loose intermittently?
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Is that the same MP3 player that had one of the chips come loose intermittently?
    No, but I worked on one like that. I don't remember if I told the story here.
    You did. That's why i thought of it.
  14. eqr
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    You're giving some dangerous advice there...

The regular Touchpad's charging circuit is powered by the battery rather than than supplied power, so if there isn't enough power in the battery to power the charging circuit, you'll be kind of stuck. Some people have had success recovering from that after a few weeks, others had to buy specialized chargers and take the battery out to charge it. Hopefully, i won't have to go that route with my mom's dead TP.
    That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. A battery that can't be charged because it's dead. I've lived with hundreds of rechargeable devices, from power tools to toys, and often had them sit long enough to completely die. I know for a fact that I never had one that prevented itself from recharging. Is this actually the design HP had in mind ?
    Remy X likes this.
    That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. A battery that can't be charged because it's dead. I've lived with hundreds of rechargeable devices, from power tools to toys, and often had them sit long enough to completely die. I know for a fact that I never had one that prevented itself from recharging. Is this actually the design HP had in mind ?
    No idea what they intend, but it's absolutely true. Check out some of the threads on people unable to turn their TouchPads on.
    Is this actually the design HP had in mind ?
    your surprised HP can do something dumb?

EDIT: ive had 2 touchpads i bought 2nd hand that arrived with no charge, and the family members i gave them too have often let them fully discharge even when i suggested not too. So far they have come back to life no issues just leaving them on the touchstone, hope they dont turn into bricks 1 day.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    No doubt.

However, this "ingenious" design did not pose a problem for anyone during the development and manufacturing stages, because batteries come from the supplier 30 to 40% charged.

Only after the Touchpad gets some use, does the battery become mis-calibrated and report a higher charge than it actually holds, which is the reason behind "sleep of death". The Touchpad's battery readings have always been awfully inaccurate, but it gets worse with use, so when 1% charge gets reported as 9%, the battery can run dry before the OS kernel receives a shutdown signal, and the sleeping RAM and CPU would completely drain the power that should normally be reserved for the charging circuit.
    I had this problem last year. Then somehow the camera started working again. Then yesterday, I get the icon on gray screen again. Has anyone confirmed a fix? Does anyone still use a touchpad? I love webOS.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12