Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Howdy everyone,
    A long time lurker here. I've found this forum very useful since I got my touchpad a while ago. The Getting Started Guide is simply wonderful!

I have a question: Is there any way to block remote-loading HTML images in the email client? The touchpad is currently the only email client I have that does not do this. Most other common email clients (web-based as well as desktop) deny loading images from emails - for reasons of security and privacy.
    Has anyone created a work around to this?

I searched the forums and I could only find this thread:
    Mail Privacy Issue but it doesn't seem to have any updates for almost a year now. I haven't been able to find a patch that addresses this either.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    (Apologies if this thread is in the wrong board - mods you may move this thread to a more appropriate location if there is one)

Thanks!
    Seconded. I'm very conscious of web beacons and am getting a little tired of seeing emails come in on my phone but not being able to open them until I get home where I can read them on my desktop mail client which blocks remote images. Would love to see a patch for phones even more than Touchpad.

Does anyone know enough about the email client to know if this could be done?
    I thought I read on the dev forums that email just uses a webview to display html formatted mail, and there is no way to tell it not to load remote images. I could have just drank too much Mt Dew just now, but that's how I remember it. I'd like to think they know better, but I am not so sure based on other obvious weaknesses.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I found the thread, it's from about a year ago, and there was never a reply from anyone at Palm. It looks like I even put my two cents in.

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...e+image#p61238
    I dug into the email app for both 3.0 and 2.2, and they are indeed using a webview to display email. The only image-handling code I found was for attachments and avatars, which was no surprise.
    You could get rid of remote images by rewriting the HTML before sending it to the webview. Since apps can't write files, you'd need a node.jsjsjs $or$ $C$/$C$++ ($for$ $performance$) $service$.