Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 2 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    I can't seem to search the forums on my tp browser (go figure) but I think there is a patch somewhere that fixes the problem of not being able to download files from a secure site such as gooinside.me and others as well. Where is it?

Also since 3.05 update I can't download internalz from preware. Gives me an ipk log error. I think its because it needs to download another file (systools manager services). This is keeping me from installing advanced reset options as well. Is there something wrong with the server?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/18/2012 at 01:16 AM.
    look here for your support services needed

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...es-misery.html
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3.    #3  
    god I seriously hate this os. Downloaded the files and can't open them because it can't open mime type files which goes to my request of the security patch. And yes I am logged in. Can't get to the files because I don't have internalz installed. <staff edit> It seriously doesn't need to be this hard. Misery indeed.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/17/2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: unnecessary
    People are trying to help you. If you don't like the OS, you can install CM9 on it instead and try that.

If you are having issues downloading Internals through Preware, simply post in that thread (or the Preware thread) and I'm sure Jay or another member can get it working for you.
    somline and knownboyofno like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    People are trying to help you. If you don't like the OS, you can install CM9 on it instead and try that.

If you are having issues downloading Internals through Preware, simply post in that thread (or the Preware thread) and I'm sure Jay or another member can get it working for you.
    thanks helloNNNewman. I have CM9 on it but its a bit unstable so am really trying to love webOs but it is really hard. Once CM9 is stable enough I won't look back hehe.
    I put in bold the part specific to your install issue

Nothing wrong with the OS, it's the methods you are using. Basically you are using the wrong tool, and then being taking your frustration out on the OS. For many reasons the web browser was not designed to install applications onto the device directly, please read below.

You have two options, neither require a computer or internalz or a patch.

If the link is to an .ipk you can throw the URL straight into preware using Install Package. (I used this method last week to load keyboard patches that were hosted on a file server that would not let me download the ipk properly, copy ipk link from file server and let preware do its thing.)

Since this doesn't link straight to the ipk, once you have used the browser to download, you will still open preware and go to Install Package, but instead of pasting a URL, you will tap browse. Then browse to the downloads directory, tap the file (will be ca.canuckcoding.************.ipk) click okay at the bottom. You will now see the file path in Preware, you can the tap install.

Easy peasy as they say. OS working as it should, no OS is as open to hacking as webOS (other than linux, but that doesn't count in this conversation), you just have know how to use the tools provided by the awesome homebrew communities. OS's, especially in the mobile platform are built with certain security to ensure the end user is safe and some times so the end user cannot modify the source os (iOS and certain android boot loaders are good examples of this).

To add, even with open source, I don't see the web browser being aloud to directly load ipk's being added by HP. The only thing that may happen, is the homebrew community will have the source code and be able to build a "plugin" of sorts that would redirect an ipk file to be opened in PreWare. Even then I don't see this as being a priority at this point for all those working on Open Source, everyone involved, HP and homebrew alike has more than enough work to do.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 02/17/2012 at 03:12 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  7.    #7  
    That's the answer I was looking for. I guess coming from windows most of us expect a flie to be associated to a program. I also had to install jsjsjs $services$ $framework$ $in$ $order$ $for$ $this$ $all$ $to$ $work$. $Most$ $of$ $wouldn$'$t$ $have$ $known$ $this$.

3 hours to solve this problem. Thx again.
    No problem.