Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Gator5000e's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hello all. New Touchpad owner and new member. I wanted to try Splashtop. I am willing to pay the $5 it costs but when starting to purchase thru the app store, it says:

    Your credit card number is stored by a secure third-party payment service, not by HP, and not on your device.

    Nowhere can I find who this third party payment service is. The name is listed nowhere that I can find. I don't see any terms of service nor any privacy terms. Does anyone know who this 3rd party company is? I hate to put my CC info out there with a company that I know nothing about.

    Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I didn't see a more appropriate one.

    Thanks for any thoughts.
  2. #2  
    That has not been disclosed to the public. Think of it this way, keeping it anonymous will keep hackers away. Ive had my CC on it since webOS launch and never had issues. Like any online transactions, use a credit card over a debit card if possible.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  3. Gator5000e's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
       #3  
    OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the prompt reply.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    That has not been disclosed to the public. Think of it this way, keeping it anonymous will keep hackers away. Ive had my CC on it since webOS launch and never had issues. Like any online transactions, use a credit card over a debit card if possible.
    Same here, haven't had an issue (or heard of anyone having issues), 2+ years.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5. #5  
    I wish they would set up PayPal for app purchases.
  6. #6  
    Card payments are handled by 3rd party services 99% of the time (I'm one of them) and meet all PCI Compliance requirements for security. Because of the rates PayPal charges, it would be doubtful that they will use that service for a while yet.
  7. Gator5000e's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
       #7  
    With all the privacy issues in the news these days, it would be nice to know who you guys are in order to make sure your security is up to date. It's great no one has had any issues, but I like to know who is holding my CC info.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Card payments are handled by 3rd party services 99% of the time (I'm one of them) and meet all PCI Compliance requirements for security. Because of the rates PayPal charges, it would be doubtful that they will use that service for a while yet.
    Yeah yeah, next your gonna PM me asking for my CC...

    LOL


    Quote Originally Posted by Gator5000e View Post
    With all the privacy issues in the news these days, it would be nice to know who you guys are in order to make sure your security is up to date. It's great no one has had any issues, but I like to know who is holding my CC info.
    We have seen many stories where this doesn't help anything.

    In the end, even if you are not "storing" your CC like the app store does, it doesn't mean you aren't vulnerable. I was one of many that got my CC leaked when the company that did CC processing for a well known online aftermarket auto parts retailer had a data retention issue. My CC was not "stored" in the online store and the data compromise was not the fault of the retailer.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Posting Permissions