1.    #1  
    If you've felt the need to give the TouchStone USB cable some extra length when plugging it into a power outlet, be aware that using a generic USB extension cable (male and female ends) does NOT work properly! I tried things twice with two different USB extension cables and got the same result...

Doing so will cycle between the charging and not charging states repeatedly causing the charge indicator to go on and off in time to the charge gong sound. Unplugging the device does not stop this cycling either and it goes into some kind of loop. You have to manually power down and reboot the entire device to get this to stop.

If someone knows of a cable that will work as an extension, please let me know. I want to lengthen the TouchStone cable.

Thanks.

(PS, found an interesting thread on USB Cable Mod for generic USB adapters that may shed some light on things: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...tone-dock.html)
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 02/14/2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added thread link
    If you do decide to use such, it will need an amplifier on the cable. Problem is anything past 5ft the current gets progressively week that webOS will not accept the weakened output.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    If you do decide to use such, it will need an amplifier on the cable. Problem is anything past 5ft the current gets progressively week that webOS will not accept the weakened output.
    Dumb question for you: I have two microUSB cables (male to male ends) that I use with the TouchPad (and separately, two extensions which do not work as mentioned). One microUSB cable is the one that came with the TouchPad and doesn't have a "wart" on it (about 5ft long) and the other is a 15ft Monoprice cable which does have a "wart" on the cable up near the microUSB end. I take it that the wart is an amplifier then? Just curious...most likely what that is based on your reply.

Here is a picture of the Monoprice microUSB cable I bought: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 02/14/2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added picture
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosdivine View Post
    Dumb question for you: I have two microUSB cables (male to male ends) that I use with the TouchPad (and separately, two extensions which do not work as mentioned). One microUSB cable is the one that came with the TouchPad and doesn't have a "wart" on it (about 5ft long) and the other is a 15ft Monoprice cable which does have a "wart" on the cable up near the microUSB end. I take it that the wart is an amplifier then? Just curious...most likely what that is based on your reply.

Here is a picture of the Monoprice microUSB cable I bought: For only $1.65 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 15ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core (Gold Plated) | USB 2.0 Cables - Micro-B Type
    That's a ferrite bead noise choke, not an amplifier.

Ferrite bead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosdivine View Post
    If you've felt the need to give the TouchStone USB cable some extra length when plugging it into a power outlet, be aware that using a generic USB extension cable (male and female ends) does NOT work properly! I tried things twice with two different USB extension cables and got the same result...

Doing so will cycle between the charging and not charging states repeatedly causing the charge indicator to go on and off in time to the charge gong sound. Unplugging the device does not stop this cycling either and it goes into some kind of loop. You have to manually power down and reboot the entire device to get this to stop.

If someone knows of a cable that will work as an extension, please let me know. I want to lengthen the TouchStone cable.

Thanks.

(PS, found an interesting thread on USB Cable Mod for generic USB adapters that may shed some light on things: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...tone-dock.html)
    Might have to stick with a plain old AC extension cord.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by richsharman View Post
    Might have to stick with a plain old AC extension cord.
    Ya, that's what I'm using but it's not as portable vs winding up a thin USB cable. It's unfortunate, I thought a USB extension cable would work...
    I've used mine with a USB extension cable of about 6 feet length for months with no issues. I doubt whether using an amplified-type USB cable would help with longer runs as my understanding is that it amplifies or regenerates the data signal but there's not much it can do about the power supply as it uses the originating power supply itself. You can't get power from nowhere.
    I use a USB extension cable every Day with my touchstone and have never had a problem.
    Thanks,
    Hookie
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
    I use a USB extension cable every Day with my touchstone and have never had a problem.
    OK, then I would like to know what cable you use because I have now used three of them and all have failed and caused the charge loop I mentioned in the OP. If there is a specific kind you're using, please share where you got it from and how long it is.

Thanks!
    I use my touchstone with a USB extension every day. Works fine.