1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Does anybody know if there will be any support in the future for netflix???

Also is there anywhere I can watch/get films with the TP?

Cheers
    Nope. If you want apps like Netflix and Crackle your best bet is to install Android. Netflix ain't working on the Ice Cream Sandwich version yet on but it should be soon. I think it works on gingerbread. There is an app called Video flood HD for webOS or something, you can watch TV and Crackle (if i remember right). It's only $1.99 but maybe that's something that will work for you.
  3.    #3  
    Tried finding video flood and I can't see it on the hp catalogue or preware?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ragamuffin2812 View Post
    Hi all,

Also is there anywhere I can watch/get films with the TP?

Cheers
    It's almost certain that we will never get netflix support on webos.

The old alpha CM7 android for touchpad had perfectly working netflix, but plenty of other issues that make it highly unrecommended. Newer versions of CM7 also had netflix, but it was coming through very blocky and pixelated. ICS is slated to have netflix as well, but we have to wait on them to work out all the kinks - I'd expect it in the next month or two, so yes, your touchpad will soon have the capacity to view netflix, just not in webos.

As for other video on the TP, hulu works with a patch... Everything else is a bit hit or miss, especially now that our flash player is outdated and unlikely to receive an update.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  5.    #5  
    I've got android installed on the TP, but video doesn't play at all not even YouTube etc, is this normal? I'm kinda new to all this and don't quite know if it's bust or a bad install!
    I've got android installed on the TP, but video doesn't play at all not even YouTube etc, is this normal? I'm kinda new to all this and don't quite know if it's bust or a bad install!
    If it is an HD video it won't play because hardware video acceleration isn't working yet.
    Tried finding video flood and I can't see it on the hp catalogue or preware?!?
    Do a search "video". Its on there.
    I watch Netflix via the Splashtop remote access app. It works great as long as you don't mind leaving your PC on all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    It's almost certain that we will never get netflix support on webos.

The old alpha CM7 android for touchpad had perfectly working netflix, but plenty of other issues that make it highly unrecommended. Newer versions of CM7 also had netflix, but it was coming through very blocky and pixelated. ICS is slated to have netflix as well, but we have to wait on them to work out all the kinks - I'd expect it in the next month or two, so yes, your touchpad will soon have the capacity to view netflix, just not in webos.

As for other video on the TP, hulu works with a patch... Everything else is a bit hit or miss, especially now that our flash player is outdated and unlikely to receive an update.
    its been confirmed netflix is getting linux support soon(tm) so doubtful of "never" getting it, also silverlights been pretty much dumped by microsuck so a html5/other version will appear eventually anyways.
    "never" is such a strong word
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    "never" is such a strong word
    I said "almost certain" .

I'd love to see netflix in webOS, i'd use it extensively. I don't expect it for a whole number of reasons, but I'd love to see it .

As it sits, I have far more faith in ICS providing quality netflix support in the near near future, which puts netflix on my touchpad again just a quick 20 second reboot away. I can live with that.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    its been confirmed netflix is getting linux support soon(tm) so doubtful of "never" getting it, also silverlights been pretty much dumped by microsuck so a html5/other version will appear eventually anyways.

Sadly, it doesn't look like netflix will support linux.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/n...support-linux/

Also, html5 still lacks DRM support.

Heck, Netflix has ended support of the 64 bit version of windows xp and stopped supporting google chrome.

I apparently need to keep my media box's netflix VM updated with the latest and greatest version of windows just to watch a very limited streaming video service. No thanks. (Windows 8 developer preview works with netflix in a VM & as does splashtop)

Now amazon has gone and changed the DRM on their TV shows, so content previously purchased no longer works on the TP browser's version of flash. Need to view this content on the VM. Bummer. (Movies still work on the TP, for now)

Hulu still works on the VM, I think.

MPAA says it is illegal for me to burn my own personally purchased big hollywood studio dvd movies to my own personal computer, so I can watch them on my own TP or my own TV. Even if I do not share the movies with another soul.

Why Oh Why does Big Content not want my money?

Bah I say. Bah.
    Last edited by Willard; 02/12/2012 at 07:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    MPAA says it is illegal for me to burn my own personally purchased big hollywood studio dvd movies to my own personal computer, so I can watch them on my own TP or my own TV. Even if I do not share the movies with another soul.
    Is that correct though? I thought there'd been a ruling that you could make a single personal copy? Or is that just in other countries and not the USA?
    well crackle actually works fine in the browser on the touchpad and my pre3, haven't tried any of my veers.
    netflix lost me as a customer long ago, a Directv app I would care about
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Is that correct though? I thought there'd been a ruling that you could make a single personal copy? Or is that just in other countries and not the USA?
    In the US, the distribution of software to break the DVD copy protection is definitely illegal. The use of said programs is not illegal, but it hasn't been found to be legal either; meaning you could be sued for defeating copy protection.

Changing the format, or making a backup, of unencrypted copyrighted material is explicitly legal in the US.

In Euope it is legal to copy dvds, for personal use, because of an agreement with the major content providers that added fees to blank media (!). So when you copy those vacation photos to a CD-R...
    Last edited by Willard; 02/13/2012 at 07:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    In Euope it is legal to copy dvds, for personal use, because of an agreement with the major content providers that added fees to blank media (!). So when you copy those vacation photos to a CD-R...
    Same in Canada, but it all turned out to be a bit of a mess.

The levy on blank recording media priced CDRs right out of the market because it was originally imposed as a fixed fee when CDRs were expensive. It quickly became the biggest component in the price of CDRs as the manufacturing cost plummeted. They never got around to putting it on DVDRs because that would have required amending the original legislation, so everybody just switched to using DVDRs because they cost so much less than CDRs (still the case - nothing has changed).

They also tried to impose the levy on portable devices with memory such as iPods. When I bought my original iPod I had to pay an extra fee of about $50 for this. Eventually the fee on devices with memory was challenged in court and struck down, but of course the government never refunded all the fees collected.

And sadly, although the fees were supposedly intended to compensate artists for potential lost revenue, the federal government somehow never quite got around to giving any more than a token amount to artists. Who could have seen that coming?

As for the recording levy making it legal to copy copyrighted material, different government departments gave different opinions on the subject until they were told to shut up and say nothing. The recording industry has wisely refrained from raising the issue in court since they don't know which way it would go.

So I think you'd have to count it as a failed experiment that satisfied nobody:
    - the public had to pay extra taxes that came out of their entertainment budget and made less money available for buying music
    - businesses got caught in the crossfire and had to pay extra tax on their media, and eventually had to give up using CDRs for purposes such as backing up business data or distributing their products
    - the recording industry wishes the recording levy had never happened because it clouds their legal position
    - the federal government thinks it's a can of worms and doesn't want to talk about it or touch it, even to make necessary amendments
    - recording artists got no benefit from it

In Canada as in most countries it's legal to make a copy of copyrighted material that you own for personal use, same as the U.S.. The difference is that circumventing copy protection was made illegal by the DMCA in the U.S., while it is not illegal to circumvent copy protection for legitimate purposes in most other countries. However the U.S. has long been trying to force the DMCA onto other countries via the secretive international ACTA treaty process (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement). Governments are generally in favor, but the public is not, and so far only a few governments have tried to force the issue (e.g., Ireland).
    Last edited by Semma2; 02/13/2012 at 10:32 AM.
    You can also use Splashtop for Netflix streaming on your PC. Works fine on my TouchPad if I want to watch a movie.
    Hi all,

likely nobody but the people at Netflix.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    The difference is that circumventing copy protection was made illegal by the DMCA in the U.S.,
    I think the rulings so far are too narrow be definitive on this, in the US.