1.    #1  
    A relatively new TP is fully up to date and has Touchvol installed.

I was playing music through an external amp/speakers when I used Touchvol to switch from headset to internal speakers. That worked, but then switching back to headset resulted in no sound. Plugging and unplugging the cable to the amp had no effect. And then, switching back to internal speakers, there was no sound, and the player's play button wouldn't even try to start music playing. Rebooting got the music player and speakers working again.

I had a similar problem connecting a set of PC speakers - it's like they weren't recognized. Although, trying again just now, they worked OK.

I guess either of the above could be blamed on dirt in the contacts or such, but I did work the plug a bit to check for that each time.

And then there's this weird raspy / distorted noise that's in time with the audio on the speakers every now and then. Rebooting always takes care of it, but I have no idea what the cause might be. Most recently it was there after starting from a fully shut down condition.

Are all these just things to be put up with, or is this (refurb) device having unusual issues?

TIA,
    Carl
    Do you have android installed? Removing it appears to have solved my audio issues.
  3.    #3  
    Nope, no Android.
    For the headset / speaker switch killing audio, try going to Settings->Sound and then mute the speaker volume, and then turn it back on. Or try the Mute switch from the system menu. I was told that works for that problem.

The crackly AM radio sound is a driver problem most likely, don't know if we'll get a fix for it before Open webOS or not...
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Does it sound really bad - underwater - borg - badly distorted?

I've installed TouchVol, a sound utility. It allows me to reset the "PulseAudio" which cures the problem.

Hope this helps.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by wildefalcon View Post
    Does it sound really bad - underwater - borg - badly distorted?

I've installed TouchVol, a sound utility. It allows me to reset the "PulseAudio" which cures the problem.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks eblade and wildefalcon for the suggestions. Will give those a try next time. Glad to know it's probably just buggy s/w.
    Same bug! its came for me with mail app. A simply Skype call (test call) resolve the sound bug.
    for sound issues, please try the following on Xecutah > xterm ....

i think it it fixed my raspy sound without the reboot just now..

stop pulseaudio audiod
    start pulseaudio audiod

i think these are the audio related applications in the touchpad's linux install.. still hunting around for more though..
    I to am having similar problems with my audio. I usually just do a reboot, too. I might try some of these other suggestions to see if they work.
    just an update.. i got that raspy sound again... especially after playing music.. then mute for a few hours.. then play music again..

i tried
    stop audiod
    start audiod
    on xterm

(did not restart pulseaudio)
    It seems that the audio daemon might be the erring application that needs to be fixed here.

hope this helps..
    Long Live Web0S!

Zire 71 > Tunsgten T|X > Tungsten T|3 > Treo 650 > Treo 680> HP Veer 4G && HP Touchpad
    the audio daemon is located in /usr/sbin/audiod

... am guessing that while we are waiting for it to be fixed, perhaps if we could create a script that could restart it everytime the touchpad wakes from it's standby slumber.. that would help with the issue.. not sure how to get that working for now tho..

perhaps some of the master Linux admins / webos interal gurus could enlighten us on this..
    Long Live Web0S!

Zire 71 > Tunsgten T|X > Tungsten T|3 > Treo 650 > Treo 680> HP Veer 4G && HP Touchpad