Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gaitch32
  • 1 Post By Wheel_nut
  1.    #1  
    I am finding that my battery does not last very long.
    I installed Dr. Battery and it says that the manufacturer rating is 5747 mAh and that the calculated left is 5437mAh.
    Is this similar to what you are getting?
    Also my percentage of battery left (top right) seems to be going down at approx 1%/2minutes.
    Is this also similar to yours.
    I tried Doctoring and I am still getting the same problem.

Thank
    Install wTerm from Preware. Type in the word "top", no quotes. It will give you a list of what is running on the Touchpad. You can see if one service is using a lot of the processor which could be eating the battery.

After the 3.0.5 update, I found that Google sync was using about 40% of the processor at all times. I deleted my Google account and remade it and it went away and the battery went back to normal. I am not saying that Google is your problem but wTerm could point you in the right direction.
    W00sh likes this.
    yeah I'm having the same problem...battery is tanking unusually fast. Wterm didn't reveal any CPU hogging processes. I'm running the 1.7 kernel, I may drop it back down to 1.5 and see if that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by parf02 View Post
    Is this similar to what you are getting?
    Here Dr Battery says mfr rating is 6612 mAH and calculated left = 6281 mAh.
    Are you sure that the battery is actually discharging at that rate? It could be that the monitor has been reset at the upgrade and has no experiential data to calibrate its predictions.

Leave it running and time it to its forced shutdown. That may also calibrate the monitor.
    W00sh likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by CHouseman View Post
    Here Dr Battery says mfr rating is 6612 mAH and calculated left = 6281 mAh.
    Yeah. I thought it was supposed to be higher. Do you have the 32GB or 16GB?

Thanks!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Are you sure that the battery is actually discharging at that rate? It could be that the monitor has been reset at the upgrade and has no experiential data to calibrate its predictions.

Leave it running and time it to its forced shutdown. That may also calibrate the monitor.
    Yeah the discharging rate is pretty bad. I have tried to let it die on its own like you are suggesting. But it did not change anything.
    What is your rate of discharging (approx.)

Thanks!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
    Install wTerm from Preware. Type in the word "top", no quotes. It will give you a list of what is running on the Touchpad. You can see if one service is using a lot of the processor which could be eating the battery.

After the 3.0.5 update, I found that Google sync was using about 40% of the processor at all times. I deleted my Google account and remade it and it went away and the battery went back to normal. I am not saying that Google is your problem but wTerm could point you in the right direction.
    I installed wTerm and the WebAppMgr is always using the CPU from 8-40%. Any ideas what this is.
    Also is anyone having a low reading for the manufacturer rating in Dr. Battery?

Thanks!
  9.    #9  
    Also, would doctoring remove this problem completely. I think it should but it did not do anything.

Thanks!
    Also, would doctoring remove this problem completely. I think it should but it did not do anything.

Thanks!
    WebAppMgr is what runs programs. If that is high then one of your programs is misbehaving. Doctoring won't help if you load on the same programs because then you just bring the problem back.

Run the top command right after a boot and if it is high then it probably one of the programs that get added to boot. Usually apps that appear in the notification area. Start uninstalling programs until it goes away and then you will have found the offending program. You need to reboot between uninstalls to clean anything that it running in memory. I would do a full reboot and not just a Luna restart.

What is your battery reading and what screen in Dr. Battery are you reading it from?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
    WebAppMgr is what runs programs. If that is high then one of your programs is misbehaving. Doctoring won't help if you load on the same programs because then you just bring the problem back.

Run the top command right after a boot and if it is high then it probably one of the programs that get added to boot. Usually apps that appear in the notification area. Start uninstalling programs until it goes away and then you will have found the offending program. You need to reboot between uninstalls to clean anything that it running in memory. I would do a full reboot and not just a Luna restart.

What is your battery reading and what screen in Dr. Battery are you reading it from?
    Thanks for the response!
    I tried it right after boot and WebAppMgr is pretty much the same. Its not the highest. Instead ''sensord'' is at the top.

The battery reading is 5647mAh and it is in the ''health'' manufacturer rating part.

Thanks so much for your help!
    Thanks for the response!
    I tried it right after boot and WebAppMgr is pretty much the same. Its not the highest. Instead ''sensord'' is at the top.

The battery reading is 5647mAh and it is in the ''health'' manufacturer rating part.

Thanks so much for your help!

As far as I know "sensord" has to do with the light sensor for auto dimming. You can turn it off in Settings\Screen & Lock and see if that changes anything. Are there any programs that could be using the sensor? It still seems that something could be loading at boot that is pegging the processor. Stuff like Facebook, Twitter, Toodletask.....really anything that can give you a notification. And it could be something else. Like I said above, it was my Google syncing that was hosed.

From what I understand there are 2 different batteries (possibly more) that were used in the Touchpad. Yours seems to fit the readings for one of them. Dr. Battery doesn't handle reporting of the battery as well as it does on phones because there is some chip or something that it can't read properly in the Touchpad. I am paraphrasing here and you can find more about it in the Dr. Battery thread.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The first thing to try is a reboot. I've seen my battery draining much faster than normal for no apparent reason with no apps apparently running, but after a reboot things went back to normal. Probably a software glitch - some app crashed and left something in the wrong state. Normally I can leave mine running all day with WiFi on, checking messages occasionally, and the battery only drops a few %. If I have the screen on continuously, like when I'm reading a pdf document, it drops about 10% per hour.
    Yeah. I thought it was supposed to be higher. Do you have the 32GB or 16GB?
    Thanks!
    32 GB. Typical discharge rate is 600-800 mA, goes as low as 490 w/ no apps running other than Dr. Battery.
    This may or may not help. If you are trying to troubleshoot battery drain when the screen is off (idle), then I suggest always turning the WiFi manually OFF before you sleep the touchpad. My battery life improved tremendously when I did that. The option in WiFi settings in my opinion does not help much. Also, you might want to do the same with bluetooth.

Screen brightness of 10-20% is more than sufficient in a moderately lit space and will help save the battery.

This thread is quite informative - I had never known of these tools available for battery and process checking. I'll go home and try it out. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CHouseman View Post
    32 GB. Typical discharge rate is 600-800 mA, goes as low as 490 w/ no apps running other than Dr. Battery.
    This I would consider "normal". I have that with 3 email accounts checked as arrive, screen brightness at 30% and twitter checking each 5 minutes.
    That will give you aprox 10 hours of runtime.

The problem could be the sleeping time (screen off). Thats when the processor should step down.
    I have 50-200mA at that time.

You can check that with Dr.B by leaving the TP with screen of for some minutes and then switch on.
    Use the "Actual" tap on Dr.B to do so. There you get the average drain within 30second.
    The "Calib." tab refreshes every 3 seconds and is using more power because of the color transition implemented there.

EDIT: For the different battery readings you may want to read this thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...pad-users.html