1.    #1  
    Hi All,

I was just wondering if we can install linux binaries onto the touchpad or do stuff via commandline/xecutah without installing ubuntu.

ie having crontab and many other rhel utilities in there.

if there are threads on this, please direct me there..

thanks!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Are you asking if you can use the x-window applications without installing ubuntu?

If so the answer is yes. To access the commandline from xecutah just press start xterm.
    The TP has a busybox install, so there are some basic commands available.

I believe the optware packages via ipkg-opt are derived from the nslu2 linux packages. So you could install the bootstrap for optware from Preware and then use xterm to see which binaries are available to install and run on the touchpad.
  4.    #4  
    hey thanks guys... let me look up busybox a little more.. I want to customize and play with the commandline on the touchpad.

i do suppose deb, rpm, apt, and yum package managers are not in busybox?

@Remolten
    not really looking into the x-windows applications for now.. i want to toy around with commandline stuff first.. ie cron, rysnc, useradd, etc..
    busybox is just a collection of basic utilities ls, mv, diff, etc.

ipkg-opt is the webOS internals customized command line package manager.

Palm uses ipkg by default.

it's similar to apt-get

edit: Preware is of course THE gui package manager of webOS. I don't count the app catalog as one
    Last edited by frantid; 02/12/2012 at 09:09 AM.
  6.    #6  
    thanks frantid..

sorry more questions...

* so since it is similar to apt-get, this is debian based?

* since you mentioned Palm.. you mean WebOS right.. not the old Garnet OS.. Cobalt... etc.. (those were the days..)

* by chance, do you have a link to some information where i can read up on this? (ipkg, etc)
    I will google it also but would want to know if there's a 'recommended link/site'

all-in-all, sounds exciting.. we can run this little thing like a server. Imagine the potential.
  8.    #8  
    hi frantid, all,

follow up question...

if found ipkg-opt real nice.. got 'unstable' versions of samba, vim, cron..

interesting that cups is also an optional install! wondering if that can be another printer solution..

is there anyway that we can get reg expressions ie ^?
    *what about bash commands such as history?
    is there a way we can get tools like netstat or install man pages? :-)

thanks much!!

*followed webOs.internals and installed bash.. `history` works now :-)
    Last edited by illuniel-webos; 02/13/2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: found a partial solution :-)
    Long Live Web0S!

Zire 71 > Tunsgten T|X > Tungsten T|3 > Treo 650 > Treo 680> HP Veer 4G && HP Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by illuniel-webos View Post
    hi frantid, all,

follow up question...

if found ipkg-opt real nice.. got 'unstable' versions of samba, vim, cron..

interesting that cups is also an optional install! wondering if that can be another printer solution..

is there anyway that we can get reg expressions ie ^?
    *what about bash commands such as history?
    is there a way we can get tools like netstat or install man pages? :-)

thanks much!!

*followed webOs.internals and installed bash.. `history` works now :-)
    I think you just have to try the packages listed in that optware page -- dstat looks like it can cover some of netstat.

I don't have that much experience using the ones outside of quilt-lite for patching.

You could try to hit up some of the webos internals crew. I'm sure they have done a lot more of it.

Just remember when operating outside of the webos internals wiki, you might be in unsupported territory and have to doctor your TP if you install an incompatible package.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    My experience installing packages outside of optware from debian repos for armel was not very good. Had to go visit the doctor, seems to prevent the kernel to finish starting up if you install something it doesn't like. So I advise you to be careful, unless a trip to the doctor doesn't bother you if you install something that totally stops your touchpad from booting.