Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By West88
  • 1 Post By addiarmadar
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed. Clicking on the link explains it more in depth.

"We need Android Apps on webOS!"
    Petition We need Android Apps on webOS!

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes just a few seconds of your time.

Thanks!
    I still think that emulated android apps on webOS is a bad move, why would developers write apps that natively run on webOS when their existing apps will run in an emulator?
    If you need android and its apps so badly then put android on your touchpad or buy an android tablet, at least that way the app will run the way it was meant to.

Dave
    Proud webOS supporter!
    My Palm history: Vx, Centro, Pre-, Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3, Touchpad 32Gb & Panda Veer
    Emulator will be a quick 1st tier solution to get more apps avail to webOS but still no market access by legitimate means. Since webOS is going open-source, someone is bound to do that. Highly doubt google would vest time to adapt gapps to webOS so leaves sideloading or stick with the dual boot options. WebOS will need the android framework incorporated. Another headache to consider is who gets the $$$ cut for the paid apps, google or HP?

Personally I don't want any android code touching webOS and rather just stick with dual boot options. WebOS needs to stay unique and go for the long haul to survive.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    banana-man666 likes this.
    i just want functional and easy vector based google maps, the android version of evernote (or at least something at par since the CEO does not want to support webos), and mysms...

other than that, not too hot about the other stuff..

also.. nice to know that there are purists and people that passionate about WebOS
    Long Live Web0S!

Zire 71 > Tunsgten T|X > Tungsten T|3 > Treo 650 > Treo 680> HP Veer 4G && HP Touchpad
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I'm using E Notes (1.00) on my Webos side, is fine. Not sure what more the Android version has to offer. I wish the microphone API was being used to make a real music tuner, either with Android or Webos.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    Yep, This is the idea of Open Mobile.. there is another discussion on these same forums about coming up w/ the idea of creating a petition.. .. and so someone did..

Not only creating a petition though, we wanted Derek to cover this on WebOSnation. Knowing that if he pushed the petition through an article on the website it would gain much more exposure then the 750 or so signatures that it has right now.

Sadly, even with my bothering him, I have had no luck.. Maybe someone else can take this to him and beg for him to get the word out there..

We can argue all day long about whether having android apps on WebOS is the right move or not.. But the only way to find out is if it actually happens!
    anyone know what critical mass would be for such a petition?
    Long Live Web0S!

Zire 71 > Tunsgten T|X > Tungsten T|3 > Treo 650 > Treo 680> HP Veer 4G && HP Touchpad
    I for one would love to be able to run Android apps on my Touchpad while in WebOs.
    I have dual-booted CM9 for a while and I can say with certainty that I love both OSes. For one, WebOs is simply beautiful and its multitasking is excellent. But the lack of apps can render it almost useless. I know there are a million work arounds to everything, but it shouldn't take me hours to properly load up an ebook that I side loaded into my tablet. I am not sure why anyone would even object to having a beautiful OS with access to one of the largest app stores out there, its kind of silly to me.

It is obvious that the development of apps for WebOs will never recover, so why not have android lend their apps? Its the best of both worlds really.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Any update on whether this will actually happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Emulator will be a quick 1st tier solution to get more apps avail to webOS but still no market access by legitimate means. Since webOS is going open-source, someone is bound to do that. Highly doubt google would vest time to adapt gapps to webOS so leaves sideloading or stick with the dual boot options. WebOS will need the android framework incorporated. Another headache to consider is who gets the $$$ cut for the paid apps, google or HP?

Personally I don't want any android code touching webOS and rather just stick with dual boot options. WebOS needs to stay unique and go for the long haul to survive.
    I agree! When you begin making these type of changes to any code it makes room for problems. I have seen this happen since 1984.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.